Phenom II X4 955 overclocking

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Dolph123, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Dolph123

Dolph123 New Member

I've just got my new case, cooler and power supply, and i wanted to do some overclocking.

So far I've reached 3,6 ghz without any problems, but going any higher and it will crash running prime. I've only changed the multiplier from 16 to 18 and I've not tweaked any voltages.

My motherboard is a gigabyte ma770t-ud3p (i know it's not the best, and certainly not made for overclocking.)

So do you think the reason why i can't go any higher is because of my motherboard? Or could i go a little higher by changing some voltages etc? My system idles at about 30 and 42 at max load.

Thanks

2. iPlayer

iPlayer Filled with noobsauce

If you are overclocking by increasing the multiplier, then just bumping up the voltage for the cpu should be enough to stabilize it. Do small increments and test with OCCT/Linx/Intelburntest. Expect higher temperatures than what you are seeing with Prime, while running these benchmarks/tests.

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Following along here..... I've got a Phenom II X 2 555 that unlocked all 4 cores rather well, so it's reported as a Deneb in CPU-Z.

I haven't done any over clocking yet though. ;)

4. iPlayer

Congrats man!

5. Dolph123

Dolph123 New Member

Cool, i wish it was possible to unlock a 4x into a 6x :)

I've bumbed the volt up to 1,42, but the frequency and temperature hasn't changed. Am i doing something wrong or do the volts not effect the frequency?

So far i actually think the performance has gone down :confused:

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

The higher voltage will just make it more stable at higher frequency (hopefully) it doesn't change the performance at the same clocks.

7. Dolph123

Dolph123 New Member

Ahh... So if i crank up the voltage, i would be able to set a higher multiplier?

8. iPlayer

Up to some point, yes. But since you haven't tested your chip much at all, you should be testing for stability as you do small increments. Mind you, you are also increasing the amount the power drawn considerably.

You can often adjust the cores with ACC to reach stability too. This seems particularly useful for unlocked cores. Apparently some Asus motherboards can test different combinations for you.

Overclocking reduces the life expectancy of your hardware, although you would likely replace it long before this might become an issue. It can also damage it outright, so do it with caution and moderation, unless you can afford it. Proceed at your own risk.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  9. Dolph123

Dolph123 New Member

I got it to 3,8 ghz on + 0,1 volt (1,45v), but it crashed after 55 minutes running OCCT. Do you think 0,125 volt is a bit too much?

And btw, do you think the VRMs can handle it in the long run? They are 8 + 2 but they do not have a headsink on them (I guess my nh-d14 takes the worst of the heat).

10. iPlayer

That's a C2, right? I think those are rated at 1.5v max safe voltage, and around 1.425v for the C3 ones @AMD's site.

VRM: You could use a small fan to blow air on them if there's not much air flowing around the area, and maybe even mod some heatsinks on them.

11. Dolph123

Dolph123 New Member

I've got no idea what C2 and C3 is :hmm:

I'm not interested in moding and i can't put a fan close to it, but as i said the nh-d14 blows some air over it.

It ran through an hour of OCCT without any problems so i'm going to run through an hour of prime. After seeing a lot of other people who are running at 1,472 volts on the same board, i am pretty sure it can handle it.

12. iPlayer

I was referring to the CPU's stepping or revision identifier. Pretty sure yours is a C2, being that it defaulted to 1.325v

If it was stable at the linpack max ram test, then it should be good enough. I don't bother with Prime, it's not as good a stability test from my experience.

13. Dolph123

Dolph123 New Member

It passed the IntelBurnTest om the max stress level (I think it was that you mentioned) and it certainly stresses the cpu a lot more compared to prime and OOCT. I'm now convinced that my motherboard can handle it in the long run now, but i won't be doing any bigger overclock.

Thanks

14. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Make sure you do keep an eye on temps just in case - I notice you've not mentioned any so far, hope that doesn't mean you're ignoring them :p

15. iPlayer

He mentioned them in his first post. He should be fine with that Noctua he has.

16. Dolph123

Dolph123 New Member

The temperature on idle is about 33 and on load it's about 52 with IntelBurnTest on max and 49 with prime, which i guess is pretty good.