Planning on buying this laptop for someone

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Calliers, May 5, 2017.

1. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Planning on buying this laptop, it's 100 dollars off and is the cheapest Core i3 that's on sale on Amazon, it has a decent amount of reviews too and has 4/5 stars which is good. One person said that it's good for League of Legends which is what the person I'm buying it for is going to use it for normally, but they also want to be able to play Rocket League, shall I pull the trigger, or buy a laptop that is more expensive with a Core i5 and graphics card? Again it won't be used for any heavy gaming, the battery time is irrelevant because person just wants a laptop because they want to be able to use it in different rooms in the house easily instead of being tied to a desk.

Find a link to the Amazon page here:-

[​IMG]

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Why the Acer over the Asus?

4. Judas

because the acer you can swap hardrives easily.. you can even install an m.2 drive and you can swap memory without having to completely disassemble the bloody thing risking damage to numerous things (specially after using it a period of time).

Asus has been designing/building there laptops that don't have any access points at all for anything.... while granted it would still be nice to pull the battery on a whim, the acer doesn't have that... but easy access to the drive and ram bay with just a simple screw is very useful and it's one of the very few laptops that are very cheap that you can run a m.2 SSD as your primary drive and have a full sized large capacity 2.5" drive (if you want) as a secondary).

It's unfortunate that acer doesn't put a 1080p display in there too.. it'd be a clear winner.

5. Tipstaff

I've noticed the disassembly thing with the F5XX series. It's gotten to the point that the only accessible door is for the 2nd RAM port (the first 4GB are soldered onto the opposite side of the board). For the one listed though, it's pretty straight forward to get to the hard drive, but it takes a bit. You undo all the bottom screws, flip it over, and pry up the entire inside (keyboard/casing), plus a couple more things. And yeah, no other parts are changeable. Just the hard drive, and adding in 1 stick of RAM. Everything else is soldered... even the WiFi NIC.

Calliers likes this.
  6. Judas

taking chances prying up the keyboard.... i've already seen my share of broken clips because of the inflexibility of plastic sometimes.

A good portion of the asus laptops don't have any cover at all for installing a 2nd module... most of them seem to be completely sealed so even installing a second module requires you to pry up both the keyboard and a part of the motherboard to slip it in.

I've just been really rather impressed with the Acer model because it's just all RIGHT there... easy.. no screwing around and the fact that a m.2 slot is super damn handy.

Calliers likes this.
  7. Calliers

Thank you for your replies and feedback guys, appreciate it.

8. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

If you want a fully accessible and good laptop to run Windows, I would suggest (if you can find one cheap) a Clevo based laptop.

9. Calliers

They go by the name Sager here and they're too expensive here in Canada, they are more gamer focused and I think the laptop that Judas recommended should run League of Legends and Rocket League fine. :)

10. Judas

i'd go to bestbuy/staples/etc and see what they have on the stand... if i could i'd snag a kabylake model.... but that might not be so easy as most everything comes with shitty discrete graphics added which is nothing short of a pain in the ass imo.

11. Tipstaff

Funny you should say that. I was just at Best Buy, and they have that Acer model on display... and for the same price.

12. Calliers

What about this one? Apparently it's GPU is better than the Intel HD graphics?

13. Tipstaff

The AMD system would be, spec wise, better for gaming (it has an R5 GPU, and a better CPU for gaming), but it'll run much hotter. In my experience, if you want an AMD gaming laptop on a budget you need to bump up to an A10 based laptop. If you stick with Acer the Aspire E 15 E5-553G-T87A might work.

Found THIS at Mike's Computer Shop (Acer Aspire E5-552G-T324, AMD A10-8700P based laptop with dedicated 2GB R7 GPU... I think). Only catch is it's a clearance item, so in this case, 14 day DOA (with free 2 way shipping), or 90 day general warranty. It may still have Acers' warranty, but there's no guarantee as that laptop came out a year ago.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Calliers likes this.
  14. Calliers

Thank you! I will bite I think.