Pokemon GO! Local Community

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

I've been totally blown away by both the NUMBER and the AGE RANGE of our local Pokemon GO! Community.

Here in my locality, we use the app, Discord, to communicate and arrange groups for RAIDS, opening Lucky Eggs for better XP when opening a gift-box, and such. On Discord alone, we have over 1300 members!

As that is impressive in itself, my surprise is in the vast age range of the active players. Moms and Dads are playing with their young kids...some of the kids are maybe 4-5 years old. These parents have passed along an older phone or tablet for the kids to use. And, then there are those who are in the 80's. I do know of one man who is 93 and plays with his daughter and grandson and their family.

Yesterday, we had a picnic at a local park and, although I didn't get a count, I guess there were close to 60 players who showed up. And, this was on a day where the temperatures never got above 56 and the wind was gusty.

I'm just really very happy to be a part of such a gaming community.

Long Live Pokemon GO! :)

Calliers and IvanV like this.
  2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

That is really neat. Hobbies and any kind of additional interests are a great way to meet new and usually interesting people.

I have to say that we still have a very anti-gaming culture where I live (video games are for kids and you happen to be a kid than you'd better be studying or at least playing ball or whatever than playing video games).

Calliers likes this.
  3. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

I have to say, since I have quit video gaming, I do these days feel like I could be doing something more constructive with my time than gaming, as I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. Although I say if you enjoy video games, knock yourself out, most people around me like my family and friends who didn't play games for the most part are soooo happy I quit. I replaced it with writing, I write stuff instead of game these days. I'm currently working on a novel and another poetry chapbook, and have submitted some poetry to certain publications and I am considering starting a Patreon.

Unless I was making money playing video games I wouldn't do it now though as I said, I don't enjoy it anymore. But I don't think it's a waste of time for those who enjoy it, just don't do it in excess, vary your time and make sure you have at least some face-time with family and friends and maybe do other things, rather than just game all day.

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

I really think the whole thing re: video games, boils down to the TYPE of video game we're talking about. In my case, I'm into the Story-driven single player type of games. To me, it's akin to reading a novel, watching a TV series, and such. But, in an INTERACTIVE way instead of becoming a simple couch potato. I never did quite enjoy the PVP type of games where it's see who can "kill first/kill most/kill the fastest" type of thing. In games like Destiny, I do some of that in the Crucible....but mostly out of necessity but on a very limited basis.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

if that's all you day every day, day in and day out... yeah it's going to look bloody bleak.... a relatively good balance of it however...

"don't quit your day job" idiom exists for a reason