Post your HDTach 3 Results!

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Judas, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Tanquen

Tanquen New Member

Isn’t the bandwidth limit on SATA-2 300MB? How are some getting 400 and 600MB?

Also, I get a memory read error when I try to Upload Results. ???

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  2. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

The limitation is per channel. Me and the others who are hitting above that are using a RAID setup. How are you trying to upload the results? Just take a screenshot and use photobucket,imageshack,etc.

3. Tanquen

Tanquen New Member

Really, wow the SATA-3 6Gb/s sounds even crazier then. Do you know what the controller max is or it assumed that if it has 6 SATA-2 ports it can handle 3Gb/s on all six at once. I was just trying to use the Upload Results button. When I try it I get an Access violation error.

This is my screen cap of the RAID 0 300GB VelociRaptors:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Look ok??

4. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

I am not sure what the max of the ICH*R would be. But I assume it would be higher than drives will be for many many years (thousands of MB/s). On a dedicated controller if the drives weren't the bottleneck chances are the PCIe interface would be next. Although even then would be in the thousands of MB/s.

What stripe size are you using on your array?

5. Tanquen

Tanquen New Member

I went with 128K as the directions stated it was the default and gave the best all around performance. I do think the ICH9R don't like my WD VRs though and now HD Tune shows a bad block on my Samsung 1TBs. :(

6. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Rebuild my file server. 7x640 drives now. 6 in RAID5 + 1 hotspare.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

not to shabby.

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

6x640gb raid 5....?

erg.... that's on the ICH10R?

cause with 6 of the seagate 7200.11's in raid 5.... i was able to obtain roughly 500mb/s on the ich9r.... over 600 in raid 0

8. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

No its on a PERC 5/i. ICH10R has very poor write speeds due to the calculations required for parity arrays. I could have 500 MB/s reads too if I disable write caching.
    [​IMG]

I'd rather take the hit on read speeds than have 50MB/s writes. Either way it is just a file server, its bottleneck is the network anyways.

9. Kizaki

Kizaki New Member

If you guys are still looking for results for reference or something, here are mine. This is from an Adaptec 51245 RAID controller with 8x Seagate 1TB ST31000340NS drives. I have the drives configured in a RAID-6 array, which yields 6TB on my logical drive. HDtach didn't do any write tests. So I posted a benchmark I ran with ATTO as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

WoW!

lol that's crazy!

i haven't assembled a super system yet simply due to wanting to wait for the next generational changes.... fixes.. and whatnot..

something like the x68 intel chipset... which from my understanding the ICH11R is 8 or 10 SATA 3 ports... with raids 0 through to 10 supported..

(rumors.... gotta hate em)

11. Kizaki

Kizaki New Member

I just got that RAID controller a few days ago. It replaced the Adaptec 31205 I had before, which is now in its final resting place somewhere under my bed with the rest of my old hardware. The bulk of my work is editing HD video for animation I render. I use filters via AVIsynth for post processing. Upgrading the RAID controller sped that up a ton. The controller is fast enough that having a RAID-6 array made little differance in write speed compared to having 6 drives on a RAID-0 array.

I found these forums while trying to find benchmarks for different drives on my new controller. 1TB SAS drives are coming down in price. I still haven't found enough information to see if its worth moving from SATA to SAS drives.

12. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Something wrong with the 31205? Or did you just want to go with the faster 1.2GHz IOP342 processor in the 51245?

I just ordered a 31605 a few days ago off of ebay, was originally planning on going with the 31205 because I only run 12 drives, but it was only like $50 and leaves me room to upgrade down the road.

Well here is my X25-M bench.

[​IMG]

And a CrystalDiskMark as a bonus
    [​IMG]

13. Kizaki

Kizaki New Member

It's a dual core 1.2Ghz. That raid card has two IOPs on there.

There is nothing wrong with it unless you have tons of projects that have deadlines, and every hour counts. The labor is far more expensive than the RAID controller.

The 51245 controller I got will pay for it self in about 3-5 weeks (depending on my work load) with the amount of time it saves me. For post-processing, my bottleneck is the storage rather than the CPU in most cases.

As far as the RAID-6 goes. If I lose a project and have to start over; I am screwed. It is not practical to backup ~1.3TB (average per project) of data when it changes constantly. It takes a very long time to backup that amount in a reasonable amount of time.

Once the post-processing is done. I convert the video from uncompressed YV12 to H.264 using CRF with the quantizer set to16 which brings the file size down to a few tens of gigs. Those compressed files I do back up out side of the RAID. Yes I know, RAID is not a backup. Also the performance difference between RAID-5/6 was negligible. So I settled with RAID-6 just to be safe.

Btw, why are your write speeds slow? Are using runnnig those on RAID-5?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
    swimtech likes this.
  14. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Its just a single Intel X25-M SSD. Writes are bang on where it should be. It excels in high I/O's. As a system/gaming drive it is exceptional. High write speeds aren't required.

15. Kizaki

Kizaki New Member

If you do get the 31205/31605, you will definetly see a massive boost in your write speed. With the 31205, I used to get about ~270MB in read speed, and 210MB/s in write speed. This was with a RAID-6 array.

16. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

The 31605 will be used on a different system, just for media storage. So speed isn't really critical, just redundancy. I was using 6 drives in RAID5 + 1 hotspare on a Dell Perc5i and was maxing the controllers write speeds @ ~ 300MB/s. It only has the 533MHz processor. The 31605 the 800MHz IOP841. So I expect a slight increase with 12 drives on it. How many drives were you using before on the 31205?

swimtech likes this.
  17. Kizaki

Kizaki New Member

8 drives. Keep in mind I was using RAID-6. You will probably get better speeds with RAID-5 on that card.

18. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Worst RAID card ever. This is a 12 drive RAID6. Not even doing 200 MB/s evenly. Which is the slowest setup I've had. Hell it is even slower than the single Intel SSD I use in my workstation. I don't know how RAID6 performs, but read speeds should way higher than this you would think. But thankfully as long as it gets over 100 MB/s read/writes it will be fine as I am still limited by Gigabit ethernet.
    [​IMG]

19. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Wow for 12 disks in RAID that does seem slow. I have been meaning to run this and keep forgetting lol ;)

This is a single WD 640G SataII(black) ... not RAID yet maybe next month :)

Attached Files:

• tach.JPG
      tach.JPG
      File size:
      116.4 KB
      Views:
  20. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

Attached Files: