problem with radeon HD 5450

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by CyberMKD, Aug 10, 2012.

1. CyberMKD

CyberMKD New Member

Hi, I'm new here and maybe I'll make some mistakes, so excuse me.
    I've bought a new graphic card (Radeon HD 5450) because my old one was broken down. When I turn on my com, it takes too much time (maybe 2min) to check the components (make that sound beeeeeb) and start boot up. Before that my computer was right, but now with this one I have problem.
    Can you solve my problem and give me solution please !
    tnx
    (btw, sorry for my English :D )

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

As i've recently installed about 12 HD5450's in the past 3 months in various low profile and low power/old systems that barely meet the requirements, my first guess is:

A: the most likely cause is a faulty HD5450, However i'd be curious to know the brand of video card it is. I actually have a hd5450 running behind me from XFX... however the others have been sapphire and HIS that i've focused on.

The long BEEP usually indicates a post error, a device is not working properly, this should directly indicate the video card is not working as it should be.

B: this is less likely to be the case.. but in the super rare circumstance that the hd5450 has tipped the scale of required power causing the system to be underpowered, this may explain the incredibly slow bootup time as well. It's surprising to see how many systems barely have enough power to run all the devices attached in a stock solution with barely any devices to speak of.

If you could give make/model of the hardware components that you are currently running and the power supply your using and it's output power.... that would give us significantly more to work with to help diagnose it.

But i'm betting it's a bad video card in which you'd want to take back and exchange it for a different one asap.

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I'd try clearing CMOS, I think I remember reading about a similar problem (long waiting time for POST after a graphics card upgrade).

4. CyberMKD

CyberMKD New Member

This is what I've got:
    CPU: Core 2 Duo E7200 2.53 GHz
    Motherboard: Asus P6LD2-X/1333 s775 DDR2 PCIx16
    Memory: DDR2 2GB
    Video: ATI Radeon VTX 3D HD 5450

Judas:
    I've made a mistake, it's not that long beeep, it's short one so the computer is right and it works, but my problem is that because with this graphic card it takes too much long time to boot up.

(How it's should be: I turn on the power and button as usual the screen is black, make that short beep and suddenly start boot up and get color on screen (press delete, press tab .... blah blah).
    The problem here is that I turn on the power button and wait that stupid 2,3 min to listen that short beep :annoyed: )

The card is bought before maybe 1 year (The point here is that I can't exchange it or so :( ). I ask for this problem there and they told me that my motherboard was old model and it's not compatible with this type of graphic card :wtf:. They've got tried my graphic card on other com and it worked normal. Also they've tried other graphic card on my com and it worked normal. This is what they told me, so I'm not 100% sure that all this is right.

IvanV:
    I don't understand you so much, can you explain me please.

If I miss something please tell me :)

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

This should be your motherboard. Select your OS, then under 'Manual' download "P5LD2-X/1333 user’s manual(English)" and go to page 43. There you have instructions on how to reset your board's CMOS/BIOS (with pictures). :)

6. CyberMKD

CyberMKD New Member

I tried it and doesn't work :(

7. Judas

I know that some of the ATI chipsets for the 939 (A8R32-MVP motherboard for referrence) would not post or would take 2 to 50 minutes to even post and was very unstable if a ATI Radeon HD5000 or newer video card was installed... most of the time it would just never post at all or would complain that a video cardw asn't present. But that was the only major problem i had with the newer hd5000 and newer series..

i had a few nvidia nforce boards give me issues with some of the newer cards... but older boards of course.

never a single hitch which any of the older intel chipset based board..

It could be just a weird capability issue that requires a bios update..... one that may not even exist and asus likely wouldn't care to invest any time making it.

Unfortunately it's sometimes that case that some manufacturers just spit out a product without concern for the new stuff that might come.

8. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

You haven't yet listed the Power Supply...make, model, and W. Mainly, however, you would need to locate the amount of AMPs supplied to the +12V rail.

This situation seems to boil down to one of two things...and if the card worked in another computer, that rules out the card, itself:

1. Too little power supplied by the Power Supply Unit [PSU]: or

2. Older motherboard BIOS doesn't support the newer video card. (My vote is for this one.)

9. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

This.

At work I've seen WAY too many 5450 video cards not being able to make older computers POST. Those older computers which do POST, typically do not recognize that there is a card installed in the PCIe slot.

This is common mainly in motherboards with PCIe 1.0 and 1.1 slots. If your motherboard supports PCIe 2.0 or newer, you shouldn't encounter this issue at all.

10. CyberMKD

CyberMKD New Member

I don't understand what to do with "Power Supply...make, model, and W. Mainly" ... :uhoh: (sorry for this kind of question, but I have problem with my English)

11. Judas

for clarification... the psu/power supply is this item

[​IMG]

it's what powers everything in the computer. The label should indicate the brand and model as well as how much power it provides over the 3.3/5/12 volt rails ... (the amount of power dilivered should be labeled as amps or "A" with obviously a number in front of it.)

12. CyberMKD

CyberMKD New Member

So, the power supply is Delux (ATX-500W P4)

AC input DC OUTPUT (MAX)
    230V/50Hz 4A
    +5V + 12V +3.3V -12V +5Vsb
    38A 10A 33A 0.5A 2A

13. Dyre Straits

What this is showing is this:

+5V = 38A
    +12V = 10A
    +3.3V = 33A
    -12V = 0.5A
    +5Vsb = 2A

The 10A on the +12V rail is very low for today's video cards. And, what you have to keep in mind is that there are other devices also drawing power from the +12V rail. Depending on just what else is installed on the system, that would reduce the Amperage even more.

My personal choice for PSU would show no less than 20A on the +12V rail and I would much rather see 28A.

EDIT: I'm reading that the HD 5450 needs a 400W PSU with at least 22A on the +12V rail. As I stated previously, I'd rather have 28A but the 10A showing on your present PSU is definitely much too low to support the card.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  14. CyberMKD

CyberMKD New Member

aha .... I get it
    is there any solution or I must buy some new power supply ? :rolleyes:

15. Judas

ATX-500W P4 appears to be a really terrible generic psu

If you want to save money and get a decent one... look no further than a Coolermaster Extreme Power 500watt .... it has 36amp on the 12v rail and plenty of power for whatever you may do in the future.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If not that... find something VERY similare in the wattage range...

16. jolly_r

jolly_r New Member

I had exactly the same problem. It is not PSU related. Just upgrade old bios of your Asus motherboard. It solves long booting problem with newer graphic cards.
    Hope it helps.

17. Dyre Straits

Sorry, but, 10A on the +12V rail of the existing PSU is not going to cut it.

However, if the BIOS hasn't been updated, then, yes, if there is an update it needs to be considered.

I would like for you to completely verify -- confirm -- that the numbers you posted earlier do actually match with the list I posted. Does the +12V actually match with the 10A rating? That's how it matches per what you posted before that. I'm suggesting this to make absolutely sure that your +12V rail isn't actually rated for the 38A. Can you confirm these settings?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  18. Judas

38 amps ~> 5.0v rail = 190 watts
    33 amps ~> 3.3v rail = 109 watts
    10 amps ~> 12v rail = 120 watts
    remaining rail watts = 16 watts

Total rated Wattage = 435 watts

Almost all of the wattage comes from the relatively useless 3.3/5v rails.

That's pretty damn sad..... and actually quite common among cheap psu's.

Frankly i'm surprised the system even starts.... and the other thing is that assuming the psu is even loaded to say within 90% of the wattage capacity, i highly doubt it'd make it very long.

The claim of 500watts is terrible, nowhere near it.

Still replacing it may be of the best interest. Cause the damn 5450 by itself draws pretty well 50% of the 12v rail..... this of course means that the computer as a whole likely isn't going to run all that smoothly.... a computer lacking proper power will exhibit total unpredictable things.... most likely resulting in damage taking effect over time.

I've love to string up the idiots that built/made a psu like that..... so damn common.. i get mad at dell or hp or whatever for sticking 16 or 18amp 12v psu's in their machines....

19. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

Good choice!

20. jolly_r

jolly_r New Member

I'm not going to say better PSU is a bad idea. I just think in this case it's BIOS, because i experienced same problem and i have pretty solid PSU. I would start from Bios update.

cheers