Project Lamniforme: The Worklog [56k Warning! Lots of pictures!]

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by daedal, Sep 24, 2005.

1. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

If you've got some old carpet you could shampoo it and stick it to the bottom of the case...it would dampen noise and depending on the colour it would look cool. Plus if a piece of hardware falls out it cushions the impact!

2. daedal

daedal Uber Coffee Drinker

I've got some spare Dynamat lying around but it's got their big logo on it. I'll take a picture of that too to show you what I mean.

3. Scargo

Scargo New Member

FYI, my 2 cents

There was earlier talk of removing metal with Dremel tools, snips and chisels :eek: (OK, not chisels). Nibblers can do the job without requiring you to create much of a mess or remove everything. They "nibble" out small chunks of sheetmetal, one bite at a time. A tool I cannot live without! See one version here:
    http://www.ehobbytools.com/index.html?target=p_33.html&lang=en-us

My favorite brand is Klein, shown here: http://www.mytoolstore.com/klein/76011b.html There are air and drill powered versions, as well.

Also there was talk about how spray painting a case is bad and that it will come off. Most metal chassis are alodine dipped (slightly yellowish appearance) or plated to prevent rusting and my Antec case, which is aluminum, has a clear anodized finish. These are the perfect substrates for painting. You want to wipe them down with isopropyl alcohol or a paint degreaser solvent first, since parts have been handled and could have oils or a fine dirt film on them. A primer coat would be the first thing to apply. Then color paint! If you clean it and apply primer, the paint will not come off. Yes, it could get scratched or chipped... And, yes, a powder-coated box could be very cool looking and is at the high-end of paint durability. It is also very pricey to have done and could build up unwanted thickness and make for tight fits or interferences. All threaded holes would need to be plugged... Bezels, or front panels, are a different story. They are usually plastic and require an added step of fine sanding to give them "tooth" if you intend to paint them. A primer specifically for plastic would also be a plus.

I love the idea of you guys (and girls?) doing all these mods and customizing your cases. I was in the prototyping business for 25 years and I think about all the cool things I could do to a computer case with all the technology that is out there today, such as CAD, rapid prototyping processes and SLA, in particular. I'm sure that is how Alienware and the like prototype their products.
    My 2 cents...

4. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Could paint that with some .... acrylic paint? I donno... I was thinking of fixing my case up after all the holes I've put into it and carpet was one idea I had. Then it could catch dust instead ofi t landing on my components and I could just vacuum it once a month =D

5. daedal

Ordered some blue Cold Cathodes and my Saitek Eclipse keyboard yesterday. :D
    I'm hoping they'll get here today but I'll probably only have them on Monday.

6. daedal

Just a few snaps of what the current state is. I just received my Saitek Eclipse keyboard. Matches very nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  7. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

very nice dude :).

though, why don't you put your case up on your desk or above the floor? that's where a PC gets dirtiest fastes is on the floor.

8. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

The answer to that is because its probably too freakin huge!

9. CDsDontBurn

not if you have enough desk space. the Xaser II (my case) is the same dimensions (H x W x L) as the Shark case. My rig sits up on top next to my monitor showing it's insides at me :D.

10. NUCLEARWINTER

NUCLEARWINTER Reap What You Sow.

im ashamed of myself....i have been neglecting my computer since new job :( i've got it how i want it....but i haven't turned it on for a week now

11. CDsDontBurn

how could it not be turned on if you're browsing DH? unless you're using some POS computer at work :p.

12. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

the shark is a massive case, i had to dissassemble my desk and reassemble it with the main desktop a few cm lower just to make room for the shelve above the case

13. Drakon

Drakon New Member

Well not everyone has room on their desk to do that. I could put mine on one of the sides, but then I wouldn't have any space for the rear speaker. Sure it gets dusty pretty quickly and easily, but they're no other place to put it...

14. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Ditto... My thermaltake armour is HUGE and first of all, it was allevated a bit but that thing made vibrations and wasn't healthy. Then the desk would simply not have enough space (well it could but i gotta dismalntle it a bit) and finally, the floor is very sturdy so it's fine there :D

15. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

haha my desk now is barely large enough across to fit the shark and a pair of 17" monitors

it's deep enough though

16. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

When I got my 21" CRT I had to MAKE a new desk from scratch, but hell was it worth it =D

17. daedal

Yeah, it's on the floor because it's so freaking huge and I barely hear the fans running. I'm working on a pedestral kind of thing so that it's at least off the direct floor and a few inches above it.

18. CDsDontBurn

pix? lol.

19. daedal

Pics of what?

20. Drakon

Drakon New Member

the pedestal thingy I guess ;)