Question

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Dom, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Dom

Dom New Member

I'm running my P4 1.8A Ghz @ 2.123Ghz, 4x118, core 1.50v - Asus P4T-E mobo. My question is about the core voltage. It's at default, 1.50v. Is that good or should it be higher?

Thanks.

2. Yeti

Yeti New Member

Ummm, erm... that depends.

If your CPU can handle it... then go for it. (factors to consider are heat, stability and processor lifetime)

I'm sure there are quite a few P4 users out there who can recommend you a stable Vcore/temp to run your CPU at. (better than my opinion)

Oh and i always enjoy looking at overclock stats (as i'm sure others here do) so when you figure it out, give us a heads up. :)

3. Dom

Dom New Member

It's been overclocked for a month now, no problems. It runs about 5*C hotter than when its not overclocked. I heard that it's better to give it more energy than it needs than to starve it. That's why I'm asking.

4. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

You could alway go up .1 volt and see how it does. I don't know if your motherboard handles that or not but I think yet it shouldn't hurt it. If your system runs fine I doubt you really need to change your voltage; most folks only increase when there is stability problems.

5. Dom

Dom New Member

The board supports these votages.

6. Yeti

Yeti New Member

Oof. :(

Well. If you want more performance then up the voltage... but quite seriously you better have some damn good cooling.

BTW, correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the P4 automatically start to scale back the multiplier if it overheats? (can't remember which processor it was... beleive THG did a full thing on this when they did the Fan/HSF failure article back in the day). You might wanna look into that.

You might wanna check your absolute cpu temperature, if its too hot thats not good... and it really doesn't matter what temp it ran at stock, because i've seen systems that ship barely able to run (because of crappy heatsinks). (Basicall how many degrees C is your cpu at?) Also you really need some good cooling. Particurlarly if your mobo only offers 1.75. (seems kinda strange to me, can you check those numbers again?)

Ah well, where's Reno when you need him to handle an Intel question? (lol... :) )

good luck (?) :uhoh: :( :confused:

7. Dom

Dom New Member

The Asus P4T-E you can overclock through the BIOS. Before I posted those voltages I checked 'em there right. As for my heatsink, here it is

8. Yeti

Yeti New Member

Oof.. once again...

That heatsink dissipates 60watts at 20deg above ambient. Not sure how to take that... cuz that is about 40-50 deg C. A cpu can run well into the 50's... or more .... so i'm not sure whether or not it is coping with the output of your P4.

read this if you have the time...
    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010917/index.html

This page is in that article but it is of special interest to you.... (i think)
    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010917/heatvideo-02.html

My suggestion, is throttle it down, benchmark it... then step it up a notch and benchmark it. Repeat... once the (cpu) benchmarks (like those in sandra) hit a cap... that should tell you something.

Also i'm not sure if you can see this ... but perhaps sandra will detect whether the cpu has been throttled back.

--------------------------------------------
    if i'm wrong correct me on this...
    sorry , not much help cuz i run AMD myself, but i think that i am the only one on at this late hour. I'm sure someone will pick this up tommorow. :)

9. Dom

Dom New Member

Very cool, Yeti. Thanks for the info. :)

"It is pretty much impossible to 'fry' a Pentium 4 processor." :eek:

10. Dom

Dom New Member

This is a cool video. What happens when you remove the heatsink from a P4 & an Athlon. Almost a year old but still cool.

Intel survives, AMD dies

11. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

Re:

That video is not only cheesy, but somewhat pointless.

You've had your HSF pop off?

12. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

No, it's the HSFF that'll do it though!

They don't fall off, but you really have to keep watch for the heat-sink fan fairies! They just love to steal HSFs when you're not looking....why the hell do you think I keep so many open fans going in my pc?!?!?

[SIZE=xx-small](My apologies, I thought it was funny....I better go get some sleep....)[/SIZE]

13. Yeti

Yeti New Member

I was pointing out the article not because of the AMD section, but because i thought it was relevant to the issue here.

I really don't care what happens when my heatsink falls off, because i'm gonna be suing the manufacturer who made the board and socket so crappy.

(I can tell you my Alpha ain't never fallin off... lol, its strapped in nice and tight!!!!) :)

14. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

Re: No, it's the HSFF that'll do it though!

Well, I can't say I've been visited by the HSF Faeries, but sometimes rats --as well as the occasional shrew-- try to steal my heatsink. The solution was simple...

[​IMG]

Seriously, though, what was Tom trying to prove? It is wholly inconceivable that a HSF would ever fall off.

---

Postscript: No, I do not own a Compaq.

15. Dom

Dom New Member

The odds of it falling-off is like 1/1000, but your HSF only lasts so long, right? If it dies then good-bye. :dead:

16. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

Re:

Athlons and their bretheren are not that fragile.

Sometimes when I'm working on my PC and I disconnect the power to the fan on the heatsink, I forget to reconnect it. I can think of at least two instances in which I did this. The first time was with a Duron 600 overclocked to 900. The heatsink was a cheesy CoolerMaster model. When the computer locked up, I looked inside, connected the fan, let it cool, and and turned it back on. No damage was done to that daring Duron.

I did the same thing with my Athlon 1.2GHz, too. I was using a Kanie Hedgehog. I turned on the PC, fired up Hitman, and played for what seemed like a good 15 minutes. When my PC locked up, I turned it off, inspected the innards and found the problem. I let it cool, connected the fan, and turned it back on. That Athlon is fine.

AMDs require you to use your brain a little, but don't all fulfilling things in life?

17. Yeti

Yeti New Member

I don't think i'm gonna have a prob with my HSF lasting :).. i clean it every week, and make sure it runs smooth. At the first sign of wear i'm gonna replace the fan...

18. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

Re:

Just keep your eyes open for vermin.

And faeries.

Oh, and Tom.

19. Dom

Dom New Member

I admit that the condisions of that video are extreme and will never happen. But benchmarks are the same, no? So I think it's good to put 'em to the tests, if for nothing else just to see what happens.