Radeon Omega Drivers for Win 2k/XP/9x/ME (Cat 3.10)

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Omegadrive, Dec 21, 2003.

1. javiergarza4

javiergarza4 New Member

i cant play swg

subject says it all. it goes to a black screen, or locks up, right after first 2 screens. used to work perfect on catalyst 3.8

2. Powindah

Powindah New Member

I have about the same problems with my Radeon 9600 Pro Card, using the newest Omega drivers based on Catalyst 3.10...
    I experience crashes in all games mostly seconds after joining the game, other times computer freezes for some time. I can switch back to desktop most of the times, but resolution is totally messed up by then. Looks like 480x... with 8 bit colors. It has something to do with the VPU or AGP. If I have VPU enabled, it will crash several times, trying to recover the Acceleration. Disabled gives me the above symptoms... Error message complain about AGP Acceleration crashing or something, sorry that i can't tell you the exact message right now!

Specs: Asus A7VN8X Deluxe Mainboard,
    AMD 3000+ Barton @ 400 MHz,
    512 MB DDR-Ram @ 400 MHz,
    Powercolor ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128 MB,
    120 GB S-ATA,

Any suggestions what to do are really appreciated... ;)
    (Oh yeah, with my old GeForce 3 by Asus i experience kinda the same problems, but only game crashes, not the VPU or AGP problems with the messed up resolutions...)

3. wolfran

wolfran New Member

3dprof problem??

It seems that if I install 3dprof (the profiler utility), I sometimes get a really drastic fps drop in games. When i test it with 3dmark2001 I lose around 2000 points comparing to if i don't install 3dprof in the first place. Could it be that the 3dprof overide some of the omega settings? Or maybe I change some settings in the 3dprof settings that i shouldn't change?

4. javiergarza4

javiergarza4 New Member

it might be dx9b on my computer, so im going to try to get dx9 a or just 9.0

5. Zebra

Zebra New Member

Hello All,
    I'm new to the ATI video environment, and picked up a Sapphire 9800SE 128MB card to replace my GF4Ti4200. I installed the latest Catalyst Drivers, everything tested fine. Then I installed the Omega Drivers SofMod for the 9800SE card. Upon reboot, the screen goes blank during testing, and I never get it back again. Had to boot into Safe Mode, uninstall drivers and reinstall the Catalyst ones. Anyone else running into this error? Could it be something left over from the Nvidia stuff?

6. GUNNIX

GUNNIX New Member

Only some 9800se's can have 8 pipelines enabled by the softmod. When getting errors using the softmod it means you're card hasn't got 8 good pipelines. Better luck next time. You'll have to use the regular omega or ati drivers. Your choice.

7. boby

boby New Member

could be the geForce issue or just your new card.maybe you can't modded 9800SE to 9800,because oter 4 pipelines are broken,or your 9800SE doesn't have 256memory bus.

8. Zebra

Zebra New Member

Thank you both for the answers. Yes, I'm not using the PCB with the 256 bit path, so that is probably the issue. I will try just installing the regular Omegas instead.

thanks again.

9. godisturbed

godisturbed New Member

cant wait to get my 9500NP

Oh man Im so excited! I just ordered a ati 9500 NP and have been reading sucess stories on overclocking it to a 9700 pro! I found this site and am gonna download the drivers as they will enble it for me during install!

I should get the card by the end of the week and Ill post back with my results. thanx omega, I didnt fancy the more complicated ways of doing it!

10. wolfran

wolfran New Member

Re: 3dprof problem??

Well I fix the problem by enabling most of the settings in the "extra direct3d" tab (except APC and WBUF). Is this a correct way of doing it?

11. Lord Delacroix

Lord Delacroix New Member

I have contacted ATI via the normal email channel support methods. I'm getting the same results from them (DENIAL) that I got with my Catalyst 3.9 gamma problem - it would not reset the gamma after any DX9 or OpenGL application messed with it.

What I would REALLY like is to speak with a developer directly but I know that won't happen anytime soon. After having written drivers for COMPAQ, I can understand why but oh well ...

I've installed multi-res now and will just live with the issue until the next driver rollout as I am in no mood to deal with activation on XP again....

BTW : I've rolled back to the 3.9 and 3.8 catalyst drivers then retried 3.10 again - all have this same issue now. :( Annoying but liveable, for now, I suppose.

Thanks

12. Zebra

Zebra New Member

After looking over at www.ocfaq.com it shows that my card, being the 'I' memory configuration with the 128bit bus, should become the 9500pro. Don't know if that would be an improvement though. I'm trying out the 9600XT right now. Right away it blows away the 9800SE in performance. Overclocking the GPU to 550 brought even more performance. My Aquamark 3 scores are at 32,000. UT2003 Flyby went to 190, botmatch at 69.

13. GUNNIX

GUNNIX New Member

It depends on which 9800se , the hercules AIW 9800se is as fast as a 9600xt

14. atomic cow

atomic cow New Member

Hi,
    I am new to this forum and the ATI Omega Drivers.

I have an ATI 9600pro All in Wonder
    I just installed the drivers and the icons in Internet explorer in the toolbar on top look as if they were dropped on top of black rectangles. Its pretty ugly. I happen to be using Window Blinds which enhances the XP GUI. Maybe that is revealing the problem.

I thought I would ask if anyone has a suggestion to fix the problem.

Also I understand that 9600pro users are supposed to keep fast write enabled. I check off fast write in the SMARTGART section but it will not stay checked. The message I got this time when checking off the box was GART couldn't do that and to reinstall the ATI drivers.

I was going to ask if I should go ahead and uninstall them. But I innocently clicked on some drive cleanup icon and it seems to have cleared out the drivers as I am typing.
    So I guess the question I have after I reboot is, what drivers should I use for the time being. I am getting the idea that maybe these drivers are good for everyone but the 9600pro users.

15. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Well Atomic we always suggest Official releases .. In addition to Omega Releases ..
    9600???
    As for Official cats(shh don't tell anyone) 3.9's are solid dude ;)

Both Cat and Omega 3.10 releases are solid .. despite the fanfare displayed on this thread.
    The next release will be even better .. as far as Cats ... I take pride in being able to break something ..
    I have had little luck;)

16. atomic cow

atomic cow New Member

Hi again,
    I wanted to post this question separately from the one above to keep things easier to follow.
    Like I said I am new to these Omega Drivers and the forum.

I felt a little disoriented when I finally got the drivers installed and up and running.
    I didn't understand little 3dprof overlay. It starts in safe evaluation mode but I couldn't make heads or tails of how to set it up from the help menu. I didn't change anything and turned off safe mode. I don't like it at first blush. If I keep these drivers can I or should I uninstall it?
    I didn't expect this little extra visitor.

Someone mentioned these drivers in a STEAM gaming forum as better for gaming. It made sense what he said about the primary ATI drivers being oriented more for meaningless specs and less for real world purposes. The game card arena is so competitive with regard to specs. And the endorsement from ATI helped me decide to go ahead.

I understand these drivers somehow enable you to safely overclock. I was hoping there would be one or a few good generic settings that I could try but I didn't see anything like that. Mostly I saw a lot of tweaking stuff I didn't fully understand and don't particularly want to get really into.

I am not a computer novice by a long shot but I don't want to get into squeezing every last drop of power out of my card. I just want to be using the best drivers possible for what I am doing and then set it and forget it. Have I stumbled into bigger things than a semi casual user should be messing with and just go back to my mommy?

17. Zebra

Zebra New Member

Well, it looks like out of the 2 Sapphire 9800SE 128M cards, 1 of them softmodded correctly, and reports into RivaTuner as a 8x1, also in Aida32. The benchmarks made quite an improvement also. This is on my son's system:

XFX 400ANB MB
    Athlon 2500+ CPU
    512MB DDR2700 RAM
    SB Audigy LS
    WinXPHome w/SP1

AquaMark3:
    Before: 23,700
    After : 30,700

3DMark03:
    Before: 2868
    After :3601

FillRate(MultiTexture) in 3DMark03:
    Before: 1078
    After: 1870

UT2003 Benchmark:
    FlyBy
    Before: 158
    After :179

Botmatch:
    Before: 62
    After: 69

18. higgledyhiggles

higgledyhiggles Active Member

probably been asked, but which option do I install with for 9700 pro this time ?
    no mention of the softmod for this card or is this now installed as default ?
    cheers,
    higgles

19. boby

boby New Member

choose 1st option when instaling.

20. thor777

thor777 New Member

*removed by user*