Randomness Resurected

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by dj_stick, Dec 12, 2004.

1. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

too many people put too much emphasis on the pursuit of money.

having said that, I wouldn't mind a minor lotto win about now... just a little one :p

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I'm somewhere in the lower range of poverty stricken...

3. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

It's all good and well pursuing happiness instead but a smile doesn't keep the lights on does it? ;P

More or less everyone i went to school and/or college with said they were only interested in being "happy", By some funny coincidence almost all of em are unemployed and hooked on [insert substance of choice here] now

Edit - because double posting makes the forum gods cry

Haha @Trusteft just spotted this, You were definately a day out... and 7 months ;P
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  4. Tyrsonswood

So the lightning rod array on my house took a direct hit today.... Weird thing is it blew a fuse apart, literally apart, for half of my kitchen and crossed over to my phone line blowing the wired phone apart, the wall wart for the cordless phone and my DSL filters... I have a dead phone line. But DSL still works? Odd, that.

Oh well... No body died. Sure am glad I didn't have to call the fire department.

5. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

isn't the lightning rod supposed to stop that from happening?

6. Tyrsonswood

Yup....

Not sure how it jumped to the phone line, which is underground until it gets to the house. (where it is attached to the wall outside)

7. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Gould it je that the jump happened underground?!

Latin word of the day: vomitorium
    means a lateral entrance to the theater

8. Tyrsonswood

I don't know... nothing evident above ground. I took a good phone out and connected direct to the box with all the wires to the house disconnected and have a dead line. I had my sister call my number and she gets a ring/ring/ring on her end so the line is open, not shorted. With an open circuit and a dead line how does DSL still work?

9. niceguyrichy

good question
    the exact same thing happened to us about 10 years ago
    phone stopped, DSL was fine.
    I never bothered getting it fixed, so I don't know the answer. still don't have a house phone :D

10. Tyrsonswood

Land line is my only phone.

11. niceguyrichy

Samsung lost $26 billion over the weekend :eek:
    that's... um, that's quite a lot

12. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I find this quite funny... because almost everyone i know that invested in a post secondary education... ended up in debt for it.... not doing any kind of job associated with that education ..... half of them dropped out after the first or 2nd year.... about 5% of them are hooked on something ... a few are dead, and currently 60% of them have a child... which half of them are still single and barely scraping by due to lack of a job or working minimum wage while living in a high cost of living area... and that's NOT assuming they are living with/off of their parents still. And when i was still in highschool with them, THEY were bound and determined to get high paying jobs because that would make them happy, sadly as i said.. most of them over extended themselves or tried to hard to get the highest paying ones and fell flat on their face with so much debt... they would be lucky to pay it all off by the time they are 40 years or better depending on how far they dug their hole.

Meanwhile i cared not for high income... and i'm the one that sitting debt free for the most part outside of capital and proper investments into things that are making money.. more enough actually to not only pay for it's own loans with ease.. but fundamentally far more to expand even further.

This is a common issue locally here..... in terms of the phone being dead and the dsl continuing to work. In fact one of my home lines was disconnected entirely by roughly 1/4 inch of separation in the conductors... or physical breaks in the lines (our lines are so old and petrified here.... the service provider is struggling to maintain what they have and definitely CANNOT afford to replace them with new lines let alone fiber.. even though they are doing a lot of that in the cities now with fiber).

When the service tech was involved in the oversight of repairs, i asked him how this worked.... and basically my understanding is that the a combination of the frequencies and the way DSL is handled over these lines, a break in the line can still maintain a connection for the DSL but the phone system is far more let's say... picky. Quite often they too are amazed at how someone internet can be working flawlessly it seems and yet when they inspect things how poorly things are connected or how massively corroded connections are... in fact one of the main overhead junction boxes was struck by lighting fusing a number of lines together which produces some wildly strange behavior in which the phones were all messed up.... but the DSL remained working, so even when charred or burnt to a crisp... dsl can still plow through within reason (i'm sure packetloss is likely ongoing).

I'm sure having exploding Note 7's is the reason.

13. Mousey

A lot of em did that too, Claiming that they were chasing some big far off ambition but in reality they'd just found a way they could stay workshy without taking stick for it. I did the exact opposite as soon as a job opportunity came up i dropped college (college in us/ca is probably more akin to university in the uk which is more of an investment) and went to go work.

What really gave me a chuckle was the ones who decided to go into sixth form, went to college and did A Levels, went to uni and got a degree, Thinking that the degree would totally cancel out the total lack of job experience they've got at 22/23/24, When in reality employers are really going off the idea of a graduate job, since it's a high paid trainee basically.

Stayed working hard and now i'm in a good career doing web dev work which i absolutely love, It's one of those jobs (for me anyway) where every day you look at the clock and go shit it's 4pm, feels like i just got here

14. Tyrsonswood

The phone situation is fixed... One of the pair was broken... DSL can still work on a single wire but at half speed or less. We are now using the second pair in the cable and I've got phone. Internet speed is way up (for here, I'm rural using DSL) Odd thing is before the lightning strike my internet speed as nowhere near what it is now so that cable had problems anyways even though it was functioning.

He's going to put in a ticket to the cable guys to replace the cable all the way from the box at the street to the house. There is actually "supposed to be" a 5 pair cable to every house in the area... It was never done to this one though. That won't happen right away, but it should happen at some point. (hopefully)

IvanV likes this.
  15. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

So something good is going to come out of that thunder strike? Nice! :)

16. Tyrsonswood

Yeah.... Lost my cordless phones though, which had my caller ID and answering machine. Base station has parts rattling around inside and the wall wart blew apart. It's toast.

17. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

I'm currently ripping all my music CDs to my main computer, I sold my mp3 player and didn't make a digital back up of my music so yeah. It's fun ripping discs again though. :)

niceguyrichy likes this.
  18. Mousey

Just had to double check the year, Thought for a second i went back to 1999 when i hit 88 on the drive home

Calliers likes this.
  19. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

:D

20. niceguyrichy

well I'm gonna strongly disagree with that last point... but as I've said before, I still buy CDs and rip them to get proper lossless

and also i like owning something physical when it comes to media :)
    that's why I buy so many steelbooks too