Randomness Resurected

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by dj_stick, Dec 12, 2004.

1. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Must have read Cal's comment from the food topic...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  2. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

I'm a normal boy, I promise.

3. IvanV

Happy Canada Day one day late! :D

Calliers likes this.
  4. IvanV

EDIT: Nothing...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

That would meet the definition of "random"

6. IvanV

I wrote something that concerns our current gun law and how it's working against someone I know, despite (or perhaps because of) the fact that he's doing everything by the book. It's really paradoxical in a number of ways and that's why I wrote about it originally, the situation is just stuck in my head, but the thing is that I don't feel that it's my place to publicise the situation, especially since it's so specific that it almost feels like it doesn't matter that I haven't actually written the guy's name. And again, it's not like you know him or that I would incriminate him (he did everything by the book, he's not under any kind of legal threat), but it's an ongoing thing and it's not my thing, so...

In short, there's a new gun law here that required all current gun owners to re-register them and go through the whole procedure as if they were applying for a permit for the first time. That includes satisfying a number of criteria carried over from the old law: not having been convicted, passing the Law about arms and ammunition test, demonstrating that you know how to properly use a handgun, passing the police field check where they come to your home to check where you're keeping the gun, as well as talk about you with your neighbours... I think that that's about it except (and this part is new) you also have to prove that you have a genuine reason for keeping a gun because your life is in danger.

And that guy I know passed all of the requirements except that they decided that his life wasn't in danger (even though he did come up with an at least half decent explanation why his home may be targeted), so they confiscated his handgun. Now, there's another bit of info that I'm omitting this time, and that bit both makes this totally paradoxical and specific enough that it more or less identifies the person I'm talking about - it may not be the only case like that in the country, but there can't even theoretically be more than a few.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019