[Rant] Windows 8 makes everything else slower

Discussion in 'Flame Warzone' started by Takaharu, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Windows 8 is pretty good performance-wise, arguably faster than Windows 7. The massive problem is that its introduction has made everything else slow.

Windows 8
    Ignoring shortcut keys/commands, to shutdown your PC you have to go to the right overlay, settings, shut down. This is instead of Start > Shutdown.

To change the UAC in Windows 7, open the start menu, type UAC and it'll be there for you to open. In Windows 8... yeah.
    The worst culprit for this is when you want to find a printer and you haven't replaced the Start menu. If you're instructing someone that doesn't know about how to add a printer in Windows 7, you tell them to pop open the Start menu, type printers and it'll pop up in the results. With Windows 8's Metro you can't search for printers, but you can search for the control panel.

When you want to know the resolution of a picture in Windows 7, click on it (as long as you don't have the slideshow view). You'll even get a little thumbnail at the bottom (handy in icon view). In Windows 8 you either wait for the mouseover to appear or right-click > Properties > Details. Sure, you can turn it on but wouldn't it be better as an option to turn off?

"I've forgotten my password"
    "Do you sign in with your Microsoft account?"
    "Yes"
    "Talk to that guy over there, he has more free time".

Photobucket
    With the old version, to resize a picture I just had to mouseover and in a couple of clicks I could resize to 800x600 (or a variety of other common res). It kept proportions automatically. Now, I have to click edit, wait for the editor to show up, click resize, type the res that I want (proportions kept by default), click "overwrite original" then click save.

With the old version, to get the link to a photo, mouseover then click on the format that you want. It's copied to clipboard. For the new version, it's the same principal but you have to go in to the picture first.

Microsoft.com
    [​IMG]

Website recently updated for Windows 8
    Yep, they're more
    scroll, scroll, scroll
    friendly for
    scroll, scroll, scroll
    touch-screens.

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

The new Photobucket is retarded, but I don't see how it has anything to do with Win8. As for Windows 8 itself, I've downloaded Start8 trial and I think that in 30 days Stardock is going to have my $5, or $4.50 if I decide to like their FB page.

Oh, I'm laughing at Fred too. :p

3. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Windows 8 is simply not made for multitasking (the user actually doing several things at the same time) or for content creation. It's made for consumation devices. After all who uses windows to actually do anything, right? :wtf:

4. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

5. Takaharu

6. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

just trying to help.
    I have no problem with Windows 8.
    Clearly you will continue to complain.

7. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I admire you guys trying to find solutions for Windows 8 issues. I don't sympathize, cause you know, you actually use Windows 8 lol. Still, it's nice to see people working to find solutions to problems.

8. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

This is a place to bitch and moan and complain with impunity.

9. Takaharu

I'm content with 8 but this is a rant. I know how to tweak, not everyone does.

10. Trusteft

Or feel free to suck MS off, whatever each one prefers.

OK, I was a bit unfair with this. Not everybody who claims to like Windows 8 for desktop use necessarily likes MS so much. It might just be that he or she tries to support/justify their decision to use/buy W8.

11. Takaharu

This is a rant thread, not YLYL :p

12. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

you can either whine or work with windows 8

13. Trusteft

Or skip Windows 8. The third solution is usually the best.

14. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

Ha...I thought this was a rant about windows 8. If your suggesting Snow Leopard, that is a definitely an option too.

15. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

Website recently updated for Windows 8
    Yep, they're more
    scroll, scroll, scroll
    friendly for
    scroll, scroll, scroll
    touch-screens.

LOL! exactly.

16. Trusteft

I don't follow the Apple cats, but, why not, but I was mostly suggesting previous versions of Windows.
    :)

17. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

tis true, one can continue to remain in the Vista, XP, and Windows 7 world.
    Safe is always better than something new. But I recall people bitching and whining about every single new build since Windows 3.1.
    In tech school we experimented with Red Hat and Mandrake for fun.
    But it was a simpler time.

18. Trusteft

Well, I started with DOS, went to GEM/TOS and Workbench, and then found myself back in DOS country before Windows 3.11 and even from great change of GUI like from TOS back to a command line, I never saw something as stupid as Windows 8. Simpler time, true, but far less stupid too. Well, apart from that...what's his name, Bob? Yes, that was stupid too. It took a while for MS to admit that, let's see how long it takes them to do so for 8.
    Although, there does seem to be a larger amount of people supporting 8 than Bob. Too much chlorine in the water I think.
    :)

19. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I started out in the military with simple command prompt programs like MUMPS. We were attempting to link ancillary functions to very early thin client machines in the Emergency Room, Wards and Primary Care. Mind you this was 1984, and we were using proprietary versions of early DOS to accomplish this. When we switch to the UNIX kernel for deployment and implementation we could fix anything on a whim if we had to, and were only limited by our network (token ring) and our media. We had an IBM product and another called TOP VIEW that promised much, and we experimented with them all.
    In 1987 we experimented with the early Apple computers onboard our ship to coordinate record keeping for weapons and logistics, but were terribly limited as you well know. The Apple II was wonderful for its time, and the 286 and 386 with a co-processor seemed ideal for our work centers.
    Man we did not know much. I recall "parking" the heads on our hard drives, POST and memory issues. When I left the ship in 1991 we had new versions of the same software but migrated to Fox Pro for a while. We dumped all the IBM beta stuff because it was not user friendly.
    BUT WE HAD GAMES!!!!

20. Trusteft

I was "lucky" enough to never have to park my drives cause the ibm compatibles I used in the early 80's did not require it since they had no HDDs lol, my Amiga1200 which had a HDD and later my first PC, did not require park since it was not necessary by then. Good times :p
    MS-DOS though...oh man, useless POS. The memory issues alone were making modern driver issues look like, well, not very important lol.

And yes, Games FTW. Another reason to not want (myself) to support MS.
    Them trying to fragment Windows gaming for a second time in a few years (first with not releasing DX10 for XP) and now forcing DX 11.1 only on 8 (though I think someone also mentioned 7), and of course trying to create an Apple APP like situation for the PC (slowly) where we have to go through MS to get software running on PCs, that's their wet dream. Perhaps they are leaving the full implementation for Windows 9 or 10. Then people ask me why I don't like 8.

Anyway, time for some games.