Recovering Data need HELP..!

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by mos2k, Mar 10, 2009.

1. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

okay so hey guys.. i was installing vista and you know in the Vista setup it lets you choose the partition on which you are going to install Vista. I had XP earlier.

okay when i was in the Setup choosing the Partition i deleted the Windows XP partition which was the primary partition and i dont know what happed with it my 2 partitions of 70.8GB got deleted and now showed up as 141 GB of unallocated space. I had Data on Both Partitions. I didnt do anything i just restarted and took the DVD out and Turned my PC off.

SO NOW my question is can i recover my Data if so? how? it had alot of my personal and important data. Where i live there arent any data recovery labs so please help me. Thanking you in advance .:confused::sigh:

P.S. I'm using my Laptop atm.

2. charm_quark

charm_quark incognito

... there is a thread on recovering files somewhere on this site.... but you can use "recover my files" and do a sector scan NOTE: will take a very long time to complete,,,,,also it will only work if your filling table has not been changed. Some version of vista had a filling table called Ex-fat or some thing

3. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

I did not install VISTA.. i exited the setup and shutdown my computer..

4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Even if you didn't install Visa deleting the XP partition would cause this if the boot manager was on that partition (which it probably was).

You may have to use a recovery program as mentioned. I would post a bit longer of a response but I am heading out the door work calls. Will check back tonight good luck with it.

mos2k likes this.
  5. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

mos, i too learned this the hard way a few years back, when a disk has multiple partitions, you never want to completely delete the partition. just format it and install, in my case (xp i think) i deleted the C: partition, remade n installed, except upon install the storage partition was bumped to C: and windows installed on D:

if all u did is mark the partitions to delete and and didnt do any type of format i willing to bet the partitions could be remapped.

a friend of mine just did this on his sons rig, i'll hit'em up n see what it was he did, i recall it was actually and easy fix, i hope the same for you.

EDIT:
    got txt message out to him, hopefully ill here from em soon, hang tight, dont be hasty

mos2k likes this.
  6. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

Now as you mention it. sorry for changing my statement. i had installed vista but the partition was only 14.9 GB i wanted to increase the partition so i emptied one of my 70.8 GB partitions and halved it. i thought if i deleted the partition the 70.8GB one it in will merge with the 14.9 GB one which would be a combined unallocated space.

Now the Partitions that got deleted were my other two 70.8 GB partitions i didnt touch them. I guess that explains it why when i deleted the Vista Partition of 14.9 GB the two 70.8 GB partitions got deleted and merged together.

Okay i understand that now. but seeing that i didnt do anything more as in i didnt write anything or install anything. My question is can i fully recover my data? :oops::confused:

7. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

Yes i didnt do anything the harddrive is just sitting in my rig i didnt touch the harddisk i am really tempted as you know we people realy depend on the Data .. its just frustrating.. :sigh:

8. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

I had a partition deleted once, due to a bug in a partition manager program. IIRC the program that helped me restore it was TestDisk (TestDisk - CGSecurity). I'd suggest you give it a try.

mos2k likes this.
  9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

The data is still there but with the partitions changed around like that nothing can find it........ I'm sure there is a utility for this, it's what data recovery services do, but I don't know of a particular software as I've never done this......

If you didn't format, then the data is still on the drive

mos2k likes this.
  10. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

yeah i've been searching and reading about data recovery for a few hours now.. and they say test disk works.. but i havent done any data recovering the past. and i'm very hesitant as i dont want to ruin anything ..

11. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

no i didnt format anything.. as soon as the partition got deleted i didnt touch anything i just shutdown my pc

12. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

I suggest that you use a program called [email protected] that you can get from NFTS.com

they have a free trial version which you can use. I have the pro version of the program. it works really well. provided of course that the sector(s) have not been formatted. not sure if doing a quick format will have the same effect though.

I suggest that you pull the fubared drive out of the machine and place it as a slave drive in another machine or put it in an external enclosure for the data recovery process.

this is a two step process, and each step can take several hours depending on how much data is on the drive.

13. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

As mentioned above this post if you haven't written anything else to the disk it can. I would suggest trying the free trial version of the program CD's suggested I have a couple but they have to be purchased.

Sorry for getting back to you so late been a long day here ... Good luck with it and I will be following along until you get it sorted ;)

14. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

15. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

Thanks Guys.. will run the recovery program as as soon as i come back from the university. i'll keep everyone posted about the recovery..

16. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

no problem. keep us posted! :)

17. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

good luck dude withe file recovery, be prepared as most probably things are going to be jumbled up after the file recovery process so you are going to need to sort through them afterwords, use any of the softwares mentioned above personally i like "recover my files" coz it works well.

18. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

As the other guys said keep us posted and best of luck ;)

19. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

*DRUM ROLL* I'm BACK....!!!! the recovery was done in 45mins... a friend of mine used partition doctor and recovered the deleted partition on another pc running winxp. he explained that the MFT got deleted when you deleted the Vista Drive causing the partitions to disappear.. so he just recovered the partition and the data was there.. no harm done...!!!!?????

Cow_160483 and Tyrsonswood like this.
  20. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Right on!

Glad you got it sorted out.