Removing PAX and all included fixes?

Discussion in 'PAX Download - PCIe X-Fi Series' started by ^Tanis, Mar 21, 2014.

1. ^Tanis

^Tanis New Member

I've been trying out the PAX driver suite for a few days now, both out of curiosity and due to some slight annoyances with the creative support pack

They worked well, which I found rather impressive, but the way they color the sound is just not for me. So I decided to revert to non-PAX drivers, but I can't seem to get rid of the included fixes. No matter what I try, I still end up with a changed bass/treble level, for example

I've tried the usual:
    Removed anything 'Creative' from Programs and Features
    Uninstalled the device in Device Manager
    Rebooted to save mode, ran Driver Sweeper for Creative drivers
    Removed any entries for 'Creative' from the registry
    Ran Drivers/setup.exe and removed all WDM drivers, overwriting shared files

Now I come to you for help - what else is required to get me back to neutral sound settings? I'm assuming some of the included fixes are still sticking around in either the registry or drivers that aren't linked to creative directly, but for the life of me I can't find out where

2. Cosmichaos

Cosmichaos Grandmaster of Disaster

AW: Removing PAX and all included fixes?

Did you checked "uninstall drivers completely" when uninstalling device from device manager?

After that you have to reboot. Maybe there are other copies of PAX so it's revertign to older version. You can look for what is left when you "actualise driver" > "manual" > "choose from list" > "show compatible".

So continue this steps until the device is listed as "High Definition Audio".

Then reinstall the original Creative driver.

Usually that gets rid of anything without driver cleaners.

3. ^Tanis

^Tanis New Member

Re: AW: Removing PAX and all included fixes?

Thanks for the suggestion
    I did indeed, and I ended up with a High Definition Audio device after restarting. Unfortunately, it did not have the desired effect.

I've also run through the entire procedure twice now, just for good measure

4. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

You may have delete ini one by one by search them in system 32 and wow64 there be one more updates later today if you like try again.

5. ^Tanis

^Tanis New Member

It was a good idea, as indeed all the .inis were still sitting around in sys32 and wow64 even after my scrubbing
    Unfortunately, getting rid of them all and un/reinstalling all creative software including the driver-
    It didn't help

Could there be any other files in other locations that are still interfering?

6. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

Did you used crap cleaner and reg fixer?

7. ^Tanis

^Tanis New Member

I have. Thanks for trying to help, but after going through the reinstall process about twenty times now, I think I'll just resign to wiping the drive. The amount of time I am investing to revert the changes is quickly approaching the time required to setup my operating system again anyway.