Renew your PlayStation Plus subscription before the price increases

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by Calliers, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

If you're the sort of PlayStation owner who likes to pay for the privilege of playing online—and get free games every month to boot—today is a good day to spend some money. That's because, after today, the price of an annual PlayStation Plus subscription is increasing from $50 to $60 (yes, we mentioned this back in August, but some of you may not have marked your calendars).

It's not that much of an increase, when it comes down to it. Thanks to inflation, the $50 that Sony originally charged for PlayStation Plus when it launched in 2010 is equivalent to just over $55 in 2016 dollars. And the new $60 price matches what Microsoft has been charging for the highly similar Xbox Live Gold since 2010.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I couldn't care less about a 10 dollar increase for a year subscription...

3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

That's $10 US. It's $20 here, Judas. From $49.99 to $69.99 per year.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  4. Calliers

Judas, first lesson on becoming rich, or having a decent amount of money, learn to respect little values of money like your 5 dollar bills, your toonies and loonies. And even your nickles, pennies and dimes. At the end of the day it all adds up.

They don't say a penny saved is a penny earned for nothing. Remember banks -pay- you to have money in the bank, if you don't have any money they actually will charge you, no joke.

But then again I'm not saying keep all your money in just a savings account, as it's good to diversify too because all banks do with your money is invest and loan it out and make money off of it anyways.

5. Judas

Mind your pennies.. the dollars will take care of themselves.

even 20 bucks extra is still insignificant... 100 dollars is nothing by todays standards... they are essentially the pennies. I should clarify that while i'm personally poor and i keep a very strict set of personal expenses.... i do scratch... but business .. some of which i get to write off at percentages, the additional expenses help contribute to countering paying large amounts of income tax.

The sayings however are simple in the statement.. but considerably more complex otherwise... the number of people that would "save" that 20 dollars thinking they won a big battle.. only for them to burn that $20 or 40 dollars for something totally useless.

6. Calliers

I kind of understand what you're saying. I'd say my biggest expenses, outside of living, are video games and my computer lol.

Oh, and lets not forget movies.

7. Judas

My total personal income and expenses for a year is $3400.... The last time i paid for fuel for a personal trip to the city (pretty much the only time i personally travel) was over 6 months ago. My only personal expenses are about 70% of my food.... i pay for my water/sewage/garbage disposal to the town of 213.50 every 3 months.... my power is about $100 averaged over the course of 12 months....my vehicle which i've put a total of maybe 500km on in the last year roughly... it's registration and insurance is maybe $65/m... my mobile phone which is $75/m... and of course the taxes on my house which roughly hit $1100.... and if i decide to put insurance on my house, that's another i think 800 dollars. So you can do the math from there most likely. (i've spent a bit more this year prior to last due to the insurance). On occasion.... i'll dum about $250-300 dollars into games.... and about $500 into movies when i'm situated nicely...

My capital gains alone greatly exceed and cover the cost of my personal expenses.... due to the rest being mostly write off... fundamentally at the end of the year pay no tax... nor do i get any tax credit back... and still my tax free savings grow compounded.

Still none of this extra cash is touchable for potentially a decade... so while i'm financially poor.... the investments that cannot "disappear" ever... and continue to grow will set me up for life by my mid to late 30's (i could technically retire potentially if i wanted).

Calliers likes this.
  8. Calliers

Nice one.

I'm already 30, and haven't worked for about 8-9 years now but I'm far from rich.

9. Judas

"rich" is subjective... i'm nowhere near rich... i would coin rich as someone that can without a bit of a concern... do whatever the hell they want for the most part.... be it on a whim go on a vacation... travel.... decide to not work for 10 years at a young age... oh wait... that may actually be spoiled.. not rich...

Calliers likes this.
  10. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

Heh....I'm good until October 2020.

Calliers likes this.
  11. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I haven't paid for a Plus membership since the PS3 was launched. Probably never will.

Trusteft likes this.
  12. Calliers

Why you do dis?

13. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Oh no! Price increase at PSN! Perhaps even Xbox live some day! What am I gonna do? I have to quihahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

BTW, those free games are not free games if you pay every year an amount of money and when you stop paying they are taken away from you.

It's like paying rent for an apartment and thinking it is yours for ever and for free.

14. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Why did I never pay? I never bought it. I didn't see the point, still don't.

15. Judas

so one gets 24 games a year... many of which range from $1 value... with most of them being $10-20 dollars in value... occasionally you get something worth far more than that... PLUS if you decide to purchase anything through the store that is dicounted by the ps plus subscription... for example i could buy the diablo 3 game (with expansion) for $30 instead of the $70 due when it was on sale for 3 days.... saved me 40 dollars... Among some other games... (bought a game for $1 that was initially 10.. bought another for $10 bucks that was 30).

$60 dollars for a year subscription as i said.... is insignificant provided you use it. I didn't have a ps plus account until i found a purpose. All those deals i got with the ps plus account will remain... the only games i won't have access to if i drop the ps plus account are the free games which MOST i don't bother with anyways.... and weren't even of interest in getting a ps plus account in the first place.

Calliers likes this.
  16. Calliers

It's like Judas says, if you have a purpose for it then it makes sense, some are after the deals, some after a few more games they can play (and if I stop paying and the games are taken from me I don't mind anyways because once I finish a game I rarely go back to it unless it has some major replayability like say Destiny for example), I myself am mainly after Xbox Live and PSN Plus for the multiplayer ability they give my console, I really enjoy playing games online with both with my friends and other people.

17. Trusteft

You rent them. You don't own them and you certainly don't get them for free.

18. Calliers

I don't deny that. I just said some want to play extra games, I don't mind renting if I can play a few extra games, I always delete any game I get from PSN Plus once I'm done with it anyways.

19. Judas

Are you suggesting all physical copy of the games you get for the ps4/xbox one or even pc are more than just renting them? Because in the end.. almost ALL of them require account information and digital updates/upgrades and day one patches and if you decide to quit paying... well that's obvious the caveats.

It's still not entirely realivent.... ps plus isn't for the "free" games... they are just thrown at us.... we aren't paying for them really... I don't know of many ps plus subscribers that even really care about the free games.... one out of 24 might be good... but it's the other resources and benefits that are the real deal with ps plus...

20. Trusteft

From the news article
    This attitude, this pure bullshit is what annoys me. I know it's not your saying. I just find it just a pure lie whenever I read it anywhere.