Roadee's Fastest Rig Competition Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by WildChild, Mar 18, 2004.

1. WildChild

WildChild I'm Still Watching

Roadee's Overclocking Competition Discussion Thread

Use this thread to comment on the overclocking competition please.

2. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

what do you all reccomend as radeon 9800 pro voltages for core/mem...i'm tryign different stuff and it seems to me that about 420/385 is about as good as it wants to get...i just wondered what clocks yall were getting out of your cards

3. drakesteakn

drakesteakn boo!!!!

i get my 9800 to 459/371 with a aluminum heatsink with fan. my card has been through hell and back and made it. it went through 2 power surges and me messing with it and its still alive. well barely... i'm going to be getting another 9800 cuz its almost dead.

4. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

hrmm..i may hafta try lowering the mem clock a bit to up the core

5. drakesteakn

drakesteakn boo!!!!

just try messing around with the memory to find its sweet spot. then u can get the core to what ever u want.

6. free_refil

free_refil New Member

Yea, I'm getting about the same results with my R9800 Pro... I get the memory to about 395 and I start getting missing or jaggy textures. Then when I up the core past 430 or so, I start getting snow... I have the Zalman 80C with the OP-1 fan, but I don't have very good case cooling. I have the silent Lian-Li mid-tower with 2 CD-rom's, 2 Raptors and a 200GB Storage (all SATA), not to mention the rest of my components, and I'm sure it get's REALLY hot in there... I usually can't overclock at ALL without the side of my case off... Maybe I should go water? I have all the hard drives on the rack at the bottom of the case that has the 2 80MM's blowing on them, I think I might get the bay-res that's dual floppy bay's, and a radiator for the top of the case? Then I have to worry about squeezing that pump in there somewhere's! Oh well.... So, like I was saying, I get about the same results with my R9800 Pro, but not under the greatest conditions...

7. drakesteakn

drakesteakn boo!!!!

i have that same type case. it is very hard to overclock anything in this case. just need to keep the side off and have another fan blowing onto the Zalman. it will help ur overcloocks a little

8. free_refil

free_refil New Member

I've actually been thinking about disconnecting the fan from the heatsink, and drilling a hole in my case and putting the fan on the inside and the aluminum grill on the outside of the case. It would in essence provide the same direction of colling onto the heatsink, and also allow more cool air into the case. I have a second OP-1 fan that I was going to use to do the blow-hole mod they have out there that will direct cool air onto the back of the motherboard on the CPU socket. But this would involve cutting my motherboard tray and the side of my case. I chose this fan for that mod though because it is soo slim that it would fit between the motherboard tray and the side of the case, therefore I wouldn't have fan's bolted to the outside of the case like everyone else with that specific mod does. But after spending well over $100 for a BEAUTIFUL case, I just can't see drilling holes in it, especially for a complete NOOB with the Dremel. I wouldn't even know which bit's to use!!! So, here I have an OP-1 that would help my overclocking, and a potential mod that would help overclocking of my card, yet I don't perform the mod's because I am afriad of screwing up a very expensive case... :rolleyes:

9. drakesteakn

drakesteakn boo!!!!

i agree, those cases are nice and messing it up would not be worth it.

10. Asmoday

Asmoday Demonic

Yay!!....to my surprice i just noticed that i got the supermodified P4 avatar...i really didn't expect to get it...!!
    Btw....the new fastest rig avatars looks really nice!! The colors are awesome!!..Thank you guys!!
    :D :D :D

11. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

Well done to the winners. Well deserved.
    I've just gotta figure out a way of beating you now.

12. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

overclock like hell.

13. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

Isn't it funny how the obvious sometimes never quite reaches me:rofl:

14. WildChild

Congrats the the current holders...This is going to be an interesting competition.So I would suggest keep upping the scores to the max...hehehe(safely that is).The storm is yet to come....lol
    <<<whistles softly...while looking innocent:drool:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2004
  15. drakesteakn

drakesteakn boo!!!!

me too!!! what a suprise to see a different avatar. i agree the colors are great!! Thanx guys for a opportunity.;)

16. free_refil

free_refil New Member

Yea, I am SOOO STOKED that I got the Pro-Stock P4 avatar. It won't be hard for someone to come around and woop my scores though. :( I'm only getting to 247MHz on my FSB... I guess I could try to go 5:4 and bring my CPU higher... Because I know it's my memory holding me back. I could also just bump the DRAM all the way up to 3.1V, seeing I have the MAX3 with it's infamous memory voltage problems... I wish I could get rid of this memory and get some better stuff, but I really just don't want to go through all the trouble. Plus I need to do those mod's to keep my case cool... I can't afford much more stuff right now as I am going to be traveling back to the states here in about a month. Being stationed in the middle east sucks! Oh well, peace...

17. Roadee

Roadee Never forgotten

Congrat's to the winner's!!

I am glad that everyone is enjoying the awesome avatar's that Zardon has whipped up for the forum's competing pleasure:D Over the next couple of days hopefully a few others will enter the competition. We still need entrants for the AMD PRO class, and of course the P4 STOCK class. The original post has been edited slightly regarding how to make a proper entry/challenge, please take the time to read through the full thread HERE .

Also make sure that all dicussion and braggin takes place in this thread, and please have fun doing it. If you have scores that will not beat the current winner, then feel free to show off your hard work in here. Everyone loves a good overclock:D Almost all of the scores entered are within reach to many of you here on DH. If you are having any problems getting your scores or submitting them to future mark, then please send me a PM letting me know. I may be able to come up with a solution to your problem that will in turn allow you to compete. But I wont know that there is a problem if you dont send me a PM......so take the time to do it please, after all, you took the time to do the overclocking!!

I hope everyone is enjoying the new competition, and that more people will take the time to enter. The most interesting class will be the STOCK P4, since it is capped at 3,199 Mhz with air cooling:drool: This class will surely prove to be interesting, as there are several people here on DH with the P4 system's. This will be a tweakers contest.

Hope you all enjoy it.

18. El Kapitano

El Kapitano Most of the 7 dwarfs in 1

[SIZE=xx-large]oooooh look at that....[/SIZE]

Its soooooo pwetty can I keep it...huh, please.....?

:D

19. WildChild

Congrats El Kapitano....lol...You can keep it for alil while...lol

20. El Kapitano

El Kapitano Most of the 7 dwarfs in 1

Thinks Volt Mods............

Thinks 3 phase power solution.................

Thinks - how the hell is me putting 415Volts thro' my rig gonna help?

:D :rofl: :D

It's mine I tell you - all mine Mwahahahaha

(giddiness has definately got the better of me - today has been a good day alround)

I can't wait to see your offering WC - FX based perhaps?