Roadee's Fastest Rig Competition Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by WildChild, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Most of the unique stuff, such as the gigabyte board isn't typically kept in stock anywhere... always special order..

But yes, availablity is a huge issue here.... i'm having a damn hard time finding more Seagate 7200.11's... .10's are in mass supply yet though.

2. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

you mean you can't return it, correct?
    well, i returned my Gigabyte P35-based and ask for a new replacement board at a few weeks after i started to play with it and that when i believed even after a few new BIOS but FSB wall on the board was still not quite right. i returned an Asus P35-based in a week due to its BIOS problem and requested for some other hardware for the money instead. and i get the parts back to me in a day, i can understand yours can be different. buy why it must be special order.

i don't suggest you go for special order, especially motherboard and RAM. if you gonna buy the stuff, put them togetther to make a computer system, overclock the system just a little and you already know what you will do in the overclock, and that's about it, then i say fine buy the special order computer parts. but if you plan to play around with the system you build, which you should to, and play with it hard, well, don't order the parts as a special order. get something else or from somewhere else that at least you can return the parts.

3. Judas

Special orders means "zero" return policy.. even if i don't pick it up, it's still mie and i've already paid for it....

only warrnty on it is manufacturer.... and i've had very good help from gigabyte and OCZ had beyond imagination of excellent warranty .... so those were the only 2 items i special ordered ... (aside from a mp3 player for a customer i fully explain the circumstanes to)

We'll see when we get everything.... i've already done a rough 2 hours burn in test on the OCZ modules a at a stock spd....

Just waiting for the board.

4. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

Get an Asus Maximus judas and save yourself the hassle, word on the street is Maximus SE is EOL which might mean they are doing 1 of 2 things, replacing with an X48 based Maximus, or just discontinuing it for some reason. So break it, return it get a new board under EOL terms :D

5. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

that does sound like a good plan, Judas, the maximus is only a few more than the DQ6, and you will be able to have a newer version of the board at your reserve price before warranty ran out.

btw, Judas how you burn in test the memory modules? i usually start using or overclocking it right away with any new memory modules.

6. Judas

actually the gigabyte board is a few bucks more then the gigabyte board..

i'm already stuck with the gigabyte board.. i'm receiving it tonight.. along with a temporary Q6600 (newest revision apparently)

I burn in the memory modules by starting out with memtest86+ ...... that way i can find out if the modules are bad or not from the start (i can't beleive how often i've found bad memory.. it's rediculious)

Then i crank them up to thier "spec"ed speeds and let them run on the test for as many hours as i can before i can claim full stability.

7. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

hmm what i got at my area the DQ6 is cheaper than the maximus, but just a few.
    both boards are available widely, especially the DQ6, i can walk in and buy the board or order it from like 50 stores or so.

and, that is a good idea to run the kind of test, but it does not mean much really, just don't forget to test your system memory when you start overclocking your system.

8. Judas

yeah availability for the dq6 is quite short here.... out of stock everywhere i look.. or close to...

as for the test... i run it initially because i need to make sure they work.. or get warranty/exchange done as quickly as possible.

9. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

oh okay.
    but, ever heard some do the RMA of their memory module like mad or keep buying and playing with memory all years long before he gets to know a few good memory kits, lol.

10. ChaosMinionX

Ahem dual HD 3870s inbound :)

[​IMG]

Will get some numbers for you as well :)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  11. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

so, you're downgrading the amount of video memory you have for higher clocks?

12. Judas

soon as i have a guaranteed buyer for my x1900 and x1900 mastercard..... hd3870's.... will be here...

13. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

so on an x-fire set up, you NEED to have a MC and slave card? or is that "issue" fixed? :lol:

if you still need a MC, would you need two or one MCs if running a quad x-fire set up?

14. ChaosMinionX

They dropped that after X1900's for the SLI bridge type connector. And yeah im gaining RAM speed as well on 3870s and the 512/512 will be fine.

15. Judas

Yeah, that cards i've got were "the last"..... aside from the VERY last being the radeon x1950xtx/MC versions....

x1950pro's crossfired without anything (software via ati's own southbridge i beleive).....

HD series introduced the crossfire internal connection (similare to SLI).... and i beleive the HD38xx series will probably provide the additional internal connectors for quad card crossfire.....

16. ChaosMinionX

Quad crossfire actually just uses 3 bridges.... card 1 to card2 card 2 to card 3 to card 4

17. Judas

yeah... needs the additional internet connectors on the card... where as the HD2xxx series i've had only allows for ONE bridge connector of the card... to connect card #2 to #3, you need 2 bridge connectors attached to one card....... still requires 4 bridge connectors... not 3...

18. ChaosMinionX

Hmmm,

[​IMG]

CrossfireX aka "Spider"

Card 1 to Card 2, Card 2 to Card 3, Card 3 to Card 4. (3 bridges)

19. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Slam...duh...da..da...duh..da..da

20. Judas

lol... roasted

hey ... got my Q6600 DQ6 and Freezer 7 pro running.... cpu temp sitting @ 22*C :p