Roadee's Fastest Rig Competition Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by WildChild, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

8gb IMO is utterly in the extreme zone of things i think...

Yes it's available, but if you can't get it in 2 sticks (having to fill up all 4 banks tends to have a higher chance of problems and usually reduces the possible overclocks available... sometimes you can even run the rated clocks in 4x(xgb) modes...

I may even remove the extra 8gb i've got... it's rather unnessary to tell you the truth....

i would suspect by either early next year the first 4gb x2 kits will emerge.... but another year before it's in mass availability and at a decent value.

2. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

for that memory kit, well i hope, it's supposed to be guaranteed to be a 8GB of RAM @ DDR2-1066MHz,
    it will probably work at the speed and with CPU FSB at 400-444MHz (memory 2.4x, 444x2.4 = DDR2-1066MHz.),
    so only if the motherboard can handle overclocking, and may be with a Dual Core processors likes E6850, E8500 (Wolfdale). will that be okay for overclocking?

check this out Judas, it's the best 8GB system overcloked, i think.
    8GB 1100+MHZ DDR2 Vista 64bit DONE! - XtremeSystems Forums

3. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

16,000 petabytes is probably more information than is in the world today man.... are you sure?

4. Judas

nice results panging lol... i wonder if i could manage that... he's running the pc6400 set ... maybe i can hit those results...

kris.... take a look at the limits of 16bit and then the limits of 32bit.... yes it's exponetial growth as you crank up the bit-age ;)

I ran into an issue, after installing 2 new identical sets of a OCZ 4x2gb dimms, i can run memtest fine, but when i load vista, i think my x1900's are causing a instant reboot (the screen goes blank to enable crossfire for a second and then the hardrives power down followed by the reboot....)

I'm going to remove them right now.. and pop in the 3870's :D

5. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

check out below pic, the G.Skill 4GB (2GBx2) DDR2-1000 PQ, its price in the US right now is so little, i can't get it with that price right now. it's 4GB memory kit, lol, last year at this time i can't imagine how much it would cost to get one if it was available back then.
    soon enough i will try it myself, and even use something like this, soon as the price drops to something i want to buy it.

http://pics.coolaler.com/xoops/gskill/4gbpq/3.gif

will that be okay for overclocking?

ok Judas, i've gone offtopic enough.

6. Judas

nice results... i haven't really gotten to much into the overclocking ram since dealing with the msi 975x board i had which just simply didn't allow me to overclock at all..

BUT

now that i've got this fairly solid gigabyte board.... should be able to do some neato stuff..

But i just found a ati glitch, and reconfirmed it in the last few hours i've been testing (even ran down to my shop to further test it)...

apparently anything more then 4gb of ram (tried with 5-6-7-8gb installed) which passed memtest86+ 1.70..... and also having ATI cards in crossfire with crossfire enabled, results in BSODs....

reduce to 4gb and everything is just fine and dandy....

happens on x38 boards and p35 boards with 2x PCI-ex slots.... and i'm currently installing on a 975x board that i've got handy as well.... may try a 965 board here depending on time and results....

7. Judas

for the life of me.. i can't seem to find the program MEMSET

btw pangingjr

in the bios i've got i've disabled smartfan and i thought i disabled CPU throttling as well.... but in CPU-Z's latest version.... the cpu mhz keeps jumping from 1600mhz (x6 multi) to 2400mhz (x9) and back and forth...... while windows vista always reports 2400mhz... (course it might be just pulling it from the model of the CPU)

You know of any other name the bios might have for cpu throttling?

Perhaps Chaos might have an idea as well? (maybe it's just a cpuz glitch)

8. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

MemSet by FELIX - New memory tweaker for chipsets Intel. - XtremeSystems Forums

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) [Disabled]
    CPU EIST Function [Disabled]

the CPU-Z "always" seem to work fine in that regard for mine, Judas.

you can also disable CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) if you like.
    i personally don't disable it. the TM2 function is a CPU overheating protection function.
    When enabled, the CPU core frequency and voltage will be reduced when the CPU is overheated.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  9. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

Make sure to turn off Intel Enhanced Speed Step, and C1E or EIST.

If it still throttles, it could be a bug with your BIOS, the Intel Badaxe2 used to do that, and there was a fix to disable it properly. Check your BIOS settings again, and if you cant get it to not throttle, let me know I will give you the driver to disable it.

10. Judas

thanks panging and chaos... i'll look into it...

btw chaos... don't install any more ram atm.. :p

i just finished memtest running 4-4-4-11 with act to act delay of 1 and command rate 1... i'm still polishing it up....

next i'll probably start pumping up the freqency...

11. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

here's full description of the functions, CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) and CPU Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST)...

CPU C1E function - a CPU power-saving function in system halt state. When enabled, the CPU core frequency and voltage will be reduced during system halt state to decrease power consumption.

CPU EIST function - Depending on CPU loading, Intel EIST technology can dynamically and effectively lower the CPU voltage and core frequency
    to decrease average power consumption and heat production.

what you mean by "i'll look into it"? are you still having problem with the CPU functions?
    have you turned the CPU functions off in BIOS?

12. Judas

I looked into the issue of the cpuz reporting 1600mhz one second and 2400mhz the next..

i didn't look all the thoroughly yet in the bios.. but the only thing i've disabled is smart fan (so that my cpu fan and other fans all are at maximum RPM speeds for solid steady consistant cooling reguardless of things being cooler then they need to be)

Orginally with smart fan enabled, my cpu fan was running @ 800rpm... with it disabled now, it is always running 2500ish....

ATM, i'm making the final transition from the 3 sata 320gb seagates to 6 sata seagates 7200.11 .... just finished the installation... what i can say is that boy.. what a frigen rediculious boost in hardrive loading times and file transfers..... i thought 3 or 4 in raid 0 were fast... this is rediculiously fast lol.

i'm gonna go crunch some hdtach results here soon.

13. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

there is not much to it, lol, Judas, it will only take a few miniutes to reboot the system into BIOS setup and reset the BIOS option to the CPU functions.
    and that you can report back to us that the CPU functions can (actually) be disabled completely and successfully or not?

14. Judas

will do..

in the mean time... take a gander at these.

(red is the 6x 7200.11's raid 0 and the blue is the 3x 7200.10's raid 0)

[​IMG]

15. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

nah that is not good enough, may be i will try to beat you (again).
    and you post in a wrong thread anyway, post that in the other forum on the thread you have started about it.

16. Judas

i'm looking through gigabytes manual right now.. as i can't find anything in the bios in relation to the throttling terms used above...

17. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Judas

oh i think i know what's up.

gigabyte i think has it all set to automatic when using default auto settings for cpu/host/etc. frequencies and multipliers..

i have to enable manual and forcefully set specific values to remove the throttling (or so it's what i gathered from the manual)

EDIT

scratch that.... were apparently both looking.. i haven't made it that far... (was doing searches)

19. Judas

ok so leave TM2 on and disable C1E and EIST?

or should i do something differently?

20. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

if you BIOS version still using Ctrl+F1 keys to get all of the advanced BIOS options to show up
    then at the BIOS setup default page do Ctrl+F1 first, then go to Advanced BIOS page

try TM2, No-Execute Memory Protect, on
    and CPU M/T (if available) set it to on
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3, Virtualization Technology, EIST, C1E off
    and CPU H/T option may available in some BIOS i used to try both on and off and see.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007