Roadee's Fastest Rig Competition Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by WildChild, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

will give that a go tomorrow...

atm, i'm just kinda playing around in windows... i plan on doing some serious memory and other settings tweaking tomorrow. (it's getting late)

2. Judas

hey chaos.

i got alot of tuning to do apparently...
    but do these look anything like what you were getting when you were first getting riled up?

PCMark05 Futuremark - ORB - Project Comparison
    3DMark05 Futuremark - ORB - Project Comparison
    3DMark06 Futuremark - ORB - Project Comparison

to me. it's like crossfire isn't working or something...

even thought it's checked and stating that it's working in the CCC and unchecking it and apply and rechecking, all seems to work properly (hotfix was also installed from futuremark)

3. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

Is Catalyst AI set to "standard", and what are the other clocks of your machine.

4. Judas

Catalyst AI is set to advanced... not standard..

all other settings are set to thier defaults (no AA/no AF)

Stock HD3870 clocks (no overdrive) and stock intel q6600 (2400mhz)

PC6400 ram running stock as well... 800mhz... 5-4-4-15 ATM

5. ChaosMinionX

Ehhh, yeah at 2.4ghz that looks about a standard score...I found that AI to Standard instead of advanced yielded a higher score too btw, those ram Timings at that speed is really gonna hurt the extra points you might need.

6. Judas

so it looks like what you would have gotten at standard..

i know my hardrive performance seem horribly incorrect though..... 6 sata 7200.11's raid 0.... my gaud should be pulling bigger digits........... usually i don't see big boost from hdtach, but this time i did see quite a nice jump.. lol.

anyways, i didn't get to fine tune anything today, tomorrow i'm going to slaving building 4 more machines..... so when i get a chance.. i'll be starting to crank things up a bit.

7. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

man, you are slow. i'm quite sure it's easy to overclock your CPU and memory with the Gigabyte board, no?
    increase you CPU FSB, you can first try running the memory frequency at the same as CPU FSB and CPU multi at default, you can also first start overclocking the system using memory timings at its stock.
    try low overclock like 333x9 (5:6 DDR2 at 800MHz) , and then try 375x8 (5:6 DDR2 at 900MHz). just a few changes in BIOS settings, a few system reboots. let's see you can do it or not?

8. Judas

lol pangingjr..

give me time to work into the system.. i haven't been around the computer long enough to do any tweaking...

everytime i get things organized and planned ..... something pops up that yanks me away from doing it..

i think i found an issue with a wireless adapter i've been using.... if i use the reference driver it locks up while uploading, if i use the windows vista supplied version... it doesn't lock up.. (weird as hell hey?)

9. Judas

er... panging..

got a question

you don't happen to know how to say, manually download a driver from windows update (or microsofts servers)

for example, as i mentioned my wireless adapter.... the official drivers cause issues but the windows supplied version doesn't... however i cannot connect to the internet without the adapter on hand...

So i'd like to download the driver for it from windows update, then manually remove the current driver, then install the microsoft supplied version.

I cannot install or download the driver (using update driver) because the one i'm using is more current and a better fit it states

10. ChaosMinionX

It should show up in your temp folder.

11. Judas

set the CPU to 1.35v and the DDR to +.10v and then set the FSB to 366 and the DDR to 2.4x keeping the same timings..... it would post.. but occasionally crash... all other voltages are the same..

gaud dammit i haven't overclocked intels much at all..

Seems to be stable @ 350fsb right now though.... i just don't know what safe values are at all yet....

12. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

i happen to know what to say, i think you are newbie to all this overclocking.
    you don't seem to know what you are doing yet.

i like to suggest you don't play with the advanced memory timing settings in BIOS just yet.
    there is a time when the settings in BIOS is a must, on a certain motherboard, RAM and on a cetain system and memory overclocking attempts. but for a low overclock like you are trying to do at this point, the memory subtiming can be done later. right now you are new to your hardware (motherboard, RAM and CPU) and also new to overclocking.

so you are now at 350x9 3.15GHz and stable, correct?

what is your memory spec, i mean the spec of the memeory from its maker,
    for example, 2x2GB DDR2 800 5-5-5-15 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) 1.8V?

what is the stepping of your CPU, G0?
    what is CPU Vid value, 1.25, 1.27, 1.32?

13. Judas

Newbie to overclocking intels... yes... and a bit of DDR2 as well..

i was quite familare and quite good at dealing with overclocking DDR and AMD rigs..... got some damn impressive numbers out of those machines..

but this is technically my 2nd intel since my celron days back in 1999.

I'm actually down to 333fsb 3ghz due to instability that would occur occasionally....

I've also lowered the cpu vcore down to 1.33 (stock is 1.325v)

I'll post some CPU-Z info

If you look at choas's CPU Z info for the CPU..... both of ours are exactly the same..

My memory is rated PC6400 DDR2 5-4-4-15 at stock settings.... a maximum of 2.1v is the recommended most voltage to feed it.

either way, i went into the bios and set the ram to AUTO mode and set it to 667mhz (below 800mhz) so that i could gradually increase the CPU first to see how high i could get it...

but there are a pile of voltage settings i can change, i'm usually used to auto modes for them.... or adjusting only the CPU/Chipset/DDR and that's it... but there's a bunch of references to similare things. course i'm not going to touch the pci-express voltage.

the more voltage i fed the cpu... it didn't seem to have any impact on the overclock i manage to get..

hell even setting 1.4v for the cpu and then setting the FSB To 400x6 just to get the high FSB to start with wouldn't post.

and being that i'm not sure what my safe values are for adjusting the voltage for the rest of the componenets... i'm unwilling to take a chance on them until i read up alot more ...

14. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

yes you are newbie to this overclocking, it means this system, this hardware, this motherboard and RAM and CPU. i was not talking about the other system you have been using before.

anyways, i think the CPU you have is a B3 stepping.

as far as i know the Gigabyte board, my board never like too much volts into it, too much core voltage, too much chipset voltage won't work with the board.
    you board might be the same.

when i have time, later i will see if i can help you get to 3.2GHz of cpu speed, and a good memory sub system settings.

15. Judas

stepping B, revision G0

16. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

i think i have seen many people running that CPU at 3.2GHz and at 1.325V on Gigabyte "P35" many times before.
    it's your memory settings and voltage settings. for a good start and maybe that is all you need is 3.2Ghz, however, like i said, i can't do it right now, so later.

17. ChaosMinionX

Judas get at me on MSN/AIM and I will help you crank that beast out :)

18. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

i don't know how much Chaos has helped you already.

anyway, try the following BIOS setting and see if you can get the system stable with it....

set the BIOS option to the CPU functions as the same as above mentioned.

set PCIe frequency to 101 <---- also try Auto
    try 350x9 again.
    C.I.A. 2 [Disabled]
    Performance Enhance [Turbo]
    Memory Multiplier [2.4x]
    DDR2-840MHz

CAS Latency Time 5
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 5
    DRAM RAS# Precharge 5
    Precharge delay(tRAS) 15
    set the rest of advanced memory timing to Auto

System Voltage Control [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control [+0.2] (2.0V)
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control [Normal] <----- first try leaving it at Normal, also try adding +0.05.
    FSB OverVoltage Control [+0.05]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.075]
    CPU Voltage Control [1.325]
    Normal CPU Vcore 1.325V

-----------------------

if the above is stable, then try 400x8 with the same core voltage as above first, Memory Multiplier at 2.4x again, and leave rest setting the same.

19. Judas

never got the chance to talk to chaos....

but i'll print out your recommendations and give em a whirl here soon

20. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

don't worry about the memory timings, soon as you can overclock the processor and stable at 3.2GHz you can work on all the system memory settings. and then later you can try a higher overclocking a bit more.