Roadee's Fastest Rig Competition Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by WildChild, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

do you have any suggestions for the recommend maximum "safe" voltages for the different things i can push?

2. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

if i can recall correctly, there was months ago, i used to see Gigabyte tech support taiwan-based had suggested to a user who had problem with overclocking his CPU and memory with Gigabyte P35 boards... to push voltage of FSB and MCH up to +0.25V, more than that may have stable issue, and they suggested that to increase core voltage and DDR2 voltage instead. i don’t think i will be able to find the message board any more. however, i also have seen before that some people suggests that it's a must to use PCIe / FSB / MCH +0.30V and PCIe frequency to Auto, this when you need to overclock CPU FSB to something like 550-575 MHz.
    however, personally, all i can remember that all i have been using at the most was...
    FSB / MCH +0.25V and PCIe +0.20V for my highest FSB wall overclocking attempts... 540x6, 533x7, 520x8... on my P35-DS4 and E6750.

i don't know the rest of voltage settings that are now availble in your board, the X38-DQ6. if i have the board myself, i'll be a newbie to it again.
    however, i can be wrong, but my guessing is that, you probably won't need to worry about the rest of voltage settings yet, not for a low overclock anyway.

3. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

This might help since its an X38 board, but the asus ones take the following usually for quad OCing...

vCore- Anywhere from 1.35-1.55v
    NB Voltage - 1.4-1.55v (can go up to 1.6v for quick bench stability)
    FSB Voltage- 1.4-1.5v (can go higher if needed for benching)
    CPU PLL Voltage- 1.5-1.7v (very important not to crank this voltage out, as it can cause damage to your CPU faster than alot of other things)

If their are any NB/CPU Reference Voltages aka (GTL) .63x on CPU and .61/.67x on NB

Southbridge - default is like 1.076v

Hope that helps :)

4. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

here an example of a board similar to yours, Judas

QX6850 @ 3.6GHz simple setup in BIOS with 9x400 and memory timing and memory voltage
    leave core voltage, MCH, FSB and all other voltage settings to stock

XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - Official GIGABYTE X38-DQ6/X38T-DQ6 Info/BIOS Thread

yours may not be able to do 400x9 with stock volts, so try 400x8 (3.2GHz),
    just try changing your BIOS to 400x8 and try memory multi 2.0x or 2.4x, timing at 5-5-5-15, and add DDR2 voltage if needed, that's it, and try booting to memtest and then Windows.

5. ChaosMinionX

Hey pang, by next week or a little after I will have a new X38 DDR3 board, and 4GB of Corsair Dominator 1800C7DFIN.... also water cooling will be going in.

Will post up some results if youd like to compare ram and whatnot.

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

haven't had a chance to try any of this quite yet...

i'm busy trying to get a stable internet connection..... gonna get rid of this bloody PCI wireless adapter.. i think it's causeing stability issues.

7. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

8. ChaosMinionX

Well decided on getting Dominator 8888C4DF they are fastest DDR2 Corsair makes, and 1800C7DF from what I saw gets beat by these sticks when they are tightened down.

So 4GB of that, got them from ZZF for $510 a kit, not bad considering they used to be like $700

9. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

i think the memory kit probably uses the same chips with your old memory kit, and the main different would probably be the Serial presence-detect (SPD) and EPP data of each memory kit. personally i am not up to this myself, but i know for a fact that a friend of mine and some overclockers knows how to rewrite the SPD info and they are able to modify a certain memory kit's SPD info and to make it overclock more further and better. anyways, the memory kit is too expensive for me. with its price, i would not buy it. there are many other good DDR2 memory available. but anyway, don't forget to show me some results.

10. ChaosMinionX

Same ICs, but better overclocking really. Also my 6400C3DF were discontinued :dead:

11. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

my friend got a few HyperX PC2 9600 (DDR2-1200) kits, they're direct import from oversea since it first out, right now it's available everywhere and it's very cheaper than before.
    he kills a lot of D9's based RAM himself, i'm talking about 20 kits or more, but he is loving the HyperX a lot and and carefully use them, lol.
    all of the kits he is having can run DDR-1150MHz CAS4-4-4 @ 2.3V on Gigabyte P35 and and DFI P965P boards, which is very good at this voltage use.

G.Skill GA DDR2-800 CAS3 2.2-2.4V 2x1GB kit can also run something similar to the HyperX DDR2-1200,
    but it also seems not available anymore.

i don't know about the rest of DDR2's, but then again, all of them are a lot of hit and miss.

12. LHC

LHC Stingy and Stubborn

Wanted to get in the competition, but I've been wondering...

What's the difference between Intel Pro and Intel Super Modified? Any place I can find a description of the different categories? Thanks

13. ChaosMinionX

Sorry for the delay on seeing this....

It would seem the page giving the official rules is down.

Basically

Intel Pro - Aircooling only, no volt mods or other crazy mods done, and OCing.

Intel Super Modified - Go wild with anything you can get to obtain the highest score. Volt mods, LN2/Phase/Water/Air Cooling, basically anything goes.

Also they are broken down between CF/SLI and Single GFX.

cheers

14. ChaosMinionX

15. dsdsdk

dsdsdk New Member

Am i the only one thinking water cooling isnt "super modified"? especially these days where cpus oc just as well on good air, as on water...

16. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

agreed. I've always used watercooling on mid-range gear so I really can never compete

17. dsdsdk

dsdsdk New Member

maybe I should get a cpu-heatsink/fan, bench, upload score and go back to watercooling (it's more quiet)... ok, maybe my E8500 will run 100mhz less, but hey, i'm in a lower catagory..
    wouldnt it be easier if watercooling wasnt condisered "super modified" or "the extreme edge of entusiast oc"?

18. ChaosMinionX

The only reason your PCmark05 score is low is because your in XP.... it does much better on Vista because of the 3d accelerated windows, so your transparent windows test sky rockets. Also 3870s run better in Vista then they do in XP from my own experience.

19. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

I'm having trouble with pcmark05. Many tests fail. Here's the list of failing tests :

HDD - XP Startup
    Web Page Rendering
    HDD - General Usage
    Text Edit
    Image Decompression
    File Compression
    File Encryption
    HDD - Virus Scan
    Memory Latency - Random 16 MB

My system specs are under my name. I thought maybe it had to do with Windows Vista but it works for Judas so that's not the problem. Maybe this has been mentionned before in the thread but I haven't read it all.

20. ChaosMinionX

What kind overclock you running?