Samsung 830 Series SSD Review @ HH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Sep 23, 2011.

1. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Samsung 830 Series SSD Review

The 830 Series SSDs use Samsungs latest performance architecture, bringing the products into SATA 3 territory and taking on Sandforce and Marvell for the enthusiast user market. Can they succeed? Let's find out.

2. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Hmm not bad actually. Looking forward to seeing a price.

Since most of the components are from Samsung them self, they should be able to price it right.

3. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Just had the prices in and the 256GB model is £350, so pretty much identical to the Sandforce drives (but with the desktop/laptop kit and norton included).

Decent pricing.

4. SeW55

SeW55 New Member

I noticed something weird in your Outlook PST Scan/Repair benchmark - I think you might be doing something wrong with it.

Take a look at these reviews:
    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1267/pg11/samsung-830-series-256gb-ssd-launch-review-office-game-maintenance.html
    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1399/pg10/intel-520-series-240gb-ssd-review-office-game-maintenance.html
    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1179/pg11/ocz-vertex-3-max-iops-240gb-ssd-review-office-games-maintenance.html

Do you notice how the Vertex 3 falls in 3 different performance tiers (increasing it's ranking in each review)? It went from 52 seconds up to 21 seconds (becoming one of the fastest drives), while the Samsung 830 from 65 seconds went to 76 seconds in your last review.

5. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Glad to see you are looking closely :)

The changes in results are down to a few things with the main ones being changes in the test system (Z68>X79/new CPU), firmware changes(updates) and files used.

We re-test every drive for every review on a new install because we like to keep everything up to date, that means components, OS, Firmware, BIOS, software, patches and even files used.

The result is performance that will vary from review to review but the latest article always has the up to date performance for each drive and is not comparable with older articles/performance.

Using the Vertex 3 alone, it has had probably somewhere around 10 firmware updates that tweaked perfomance, features and fixed bugs since we first tested it. The Octane received a huge boost in IOPS performance amongst other things in its last major update.

A fast changing market segment indeed.

6. SeW55

SeW55 New Member

Cool, thanks for the clarification!

I noticed because I was comparing several different drives and reviews (thinking which one to buy) and I noticed how the Vertex went up while sadly it seems the Samsung stagnated (although it's only one test, the others seem to be okay).

Thanks!

7. Stop It

Stop It HHs' Resident Kitty Lover

Sorry to randomly bump this thread but I have literally just bought this drive and wanted to thank you guys for the review, because it helped to convince me to finally take the plunge and go SSD.

One thing to note is the current drop in SSD prices, I just paid around £145 for this drive, and for one that reviewed so well at over £300 I think it may be a real bargain. For me it was between this and the Crucial M4 as I wanted to avoid the Sandforce SF-2281 drives because of issues suffered by users of drive powered by that (especially OCZ) ones and the M4 is still a bit more expensive.

I think we're entering a great time to buy an SSD :)

8. Znebzuga

Znebzuga New Member

Good morning :)

I would like to ask if you used Microsoft Office ISO image to measure the installation time on Samsung 830...

9. vavyn

vavyn New Member

Good review. Got the 128gb version. SO far the best investment I've made