Seeking Comments On New Build

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by drwho, Feb 24, 2019.

1. drwho

drwho Active Member

Ok, I'll wait a few days and see what happens. I will contact Amazon later if I don't here anything by mid-week.

2. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Sounds good, and also keep in mind that Anthem is major buggy right now, but there are work arounds around the bugs, for example today I got the infinite loading screen bug, what I did is started the game and ended the game from task manager and next time it loaded fine, had to do the mission from the start though.

Currently playing on hard, it's way too easy on normal.

3. drwho

drwho Active Member

Ok, I'm up and running. Had a couple of problems along the way. Three of my SSDs weren't recognized when I installed Windows. Any ideas or suggestions about getting around this problem? The other one was that the G.Skill memory caused the computer to not post. I was getting a post code 60 which pertains to memory. I ended up using some corsair memory from my last computer and the computer booted right up.

4. drwho

drwho Active Member

Well, one problem solved. It turns out I didn't have the memory seated incorrectly the first time. Now its working fine and at specified timings in the XMP profile. :confused:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  5. drwho

drwho Active Member

Cool thing I found about this G.Skill memory is that I can run it at DDR4 -3466 with the same timings as at DDR4-3200 which is 14-14-14-34. :)

6. Calliers

Yeah lol, I had that problem. When I ordered replacement Patriot memory that was on the list as supported with my board it still didn't go on, and then once I got into Windows only half the RAM was being picked up (8GB out of 16GB), all I had to do was pull and reseat the RAM correctly. :)

That's some fast RAM you got there, my Patriot memory runs at 3200Mhz as it's been tested to run with the same timings although out of the box it runs at 2133Mhz.

As for the SSDs you might have to use the Windows partitioning software to initialize them just like you would a hard drive that doesn't show up.

Edit: don't forget to update your specs in your profile too. @drwho

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  7. drwho

drwho Active Member

Well, at least I'm seeing all drives now. I've got two of them active. One of my 1 TB drives Windows has seen fit to label it D: drive and E: drive. This D: drive is only 99 MB. Is there a way to delete this volume? Just for the heck of it I checked to make sure all drive were connected. I found one were the Sata cable was loose.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

99mb sounds like a UEFI partition and you don't want to touch it without risking losing data on the other portion of the drive or wrecking your current boot arrangement.

One of the things i HIGHLY recommend people do is make CERTAIN to only install their primary drive and then install windows with all other drives disconnected so that everything is exclusively situated on that specific drive. Then after windows is installed, insert the drives one at a time (booting after each) to organize it's drive layout the way you like (unless you don't care what the drives are labeled). And this way you can reduce the risk of something going awry by deleting the now visible but previous hidden system partitions.

IMO the easiest way to do it is copy the data to another drive, then wipe that existing drive entirely (diskpart)... then recreate a partition and slap the data back on.

Curious what was it that you did to get your drives to be seen? They should have all shown up right from the get go, specially the SATA drives.

9. drwho

drwho Active Member

I was doing some research online trying to find something to help me get a handle on the missing drives. I read something on a Asrock Forum that mentioned that the lower M.2 slot on the motherboard and the Sata #3 slot run on the same channel. If both are being used the Sata cable will cancel out the M.2. I've moved the Sata cable to another port. And walla, the M.2 showed up. The other 1 TB SSD was probably the loose Sata cable I found.Once I reconnected the Sata cable the drive showed up.

The problem with that drive D: is when I look at it in Explorer it only show the D: drive not the E: drive, I can't access the rest of the drive. :rolleyes:

Sofar, I've gotta admit I'm real happy with the way this computer has turned out. I really love this Corsair Obsidian 500D case.

10. Calliers

And you still haven't updated your system specs... :rolleyes:

Btw, did your free game code(s) come in yet?

11. drwho

drwho Active Member

Ok, I was wrong in the above statement. I can see D: & E drives in Explorer. When I look in the Disk Management utility I see all three 1 TB drives. In Explorer I only see two.

12. Calliers

You have to initialize the drive in disk management. Use Gpart though instead of MBR. Here watch this:

Then sit back and listen to this:

13. drwho

drwho Active Member

Ok, system specs updated. The only thing I counld update was the OS. The highest it went was Win 8 (64-bit} Thanks Calliers, watching the video now. :)

14. Calliers

No problemo, and do tell us which game you've decided on (assuming you've got your free codes). :)

Remember, using one will invalidate the other, so basically make sure the game you choose is the one you want.

Edit: Also I had a look at the case you got, not a big fan of the three fan setup in the front, I prefer two big ass RGB fans instead, like the one's on my Cooler Master H500. :p

And concerning the Windows setting I'll talk to Steve but for now just select "Other".

15. drwho

drwho Active Member

Roger wilco on the game. Have to say though that the video you posted didn't help, though the thought was greatly appreciated. One of the drives in the Disk Management utility said Local Drive. I simply changed it to Drive H: Now all drives are up and working. :cool:

16. drwho

drwho Active Member

Hey Calliers

Have to just say thank you to you and the others who have offered suggestions and comments about the new build of mine. I truly appreciate all the help you've given me. As for the case I guess that why we all have different tastes. ;)

17. Calliers

You're most welcome, that is what we do around here, we help each other out, and sometimes even play with each other. :)

(and no I don't mean it like that, I mean actual games online you dirty dog you :p )

18. sadder

sadder New Member

Great build and good to see that you switched from 1070 to 2070. Why so much storage though?

19. Calliers

He explained, he basically needs them for editing and photographs.

20. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

When one has been doing computers since the early 1990's, one has to have plenty of storage. :) Game saves, back ups, family photos, game videos, more photos, downloads of drivers...

My storage and system... :)

Dyre's Storage System.JPG

You really don't want to see all the burned CDs/DVDs I have, though. :D

Trusteft likes this.