Sergio Marchionne replaced as Fiat boss following illness

Discussion in 'Petrol Heads Forum' started by MIG-31, Jul 23, 2018.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

Sergio Marchionne has ended his historic time at the head of Fiat and then Fiat-Chrysler. If you ever want to see how one person at the top can radically transform huge and moribund industrial organisations, here is your man.

Marchionne was due to retire next spring. He’d gone into hospital for routine surgery, and while recuperating has become suddenly and catastrophically ill.

The new CEO is one of his most trusted deputies, Mike Manley.

Frankly it seems hard to take in. Marchionne has shown almost superhuman energy, vibrancy and force of character during the 14 years the car world and we at Top Gear have known him. We send our very best wishes to him and those close to him.

2. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

Update:

The former boss of Fiat Chrysler, Sergio Marchionne, has died in hospital aged 66, following complications from routine surgery.

FCA chairman John Elkann said: “Unfortunately, what we feared has come to pass. Sergio Marchionne, man and friend, is gone.

“I believe that the best way to honour his memory is to build on the legacy he left us, continuing to develop the human values of responsibility and openness of which he was the most ardent champion. My family and I will be forever grateful for what he has done. Our thoughts are with Manuela, and his sons Alessio and Tyler.

3. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I truly wonder what this might mean for the future. He's been instrumental in turning the big colossus that's Fiat as well as Chrysler around. As an alfista I hope they will continue the path that he set but I fear they won't.