"Shadowing" on 144hz Monitor. PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Gimlett, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Gimlett

Gimlett New Member

Acer XFA240 is the Display Model in question. I am running windows 10 with a DP cable hooked right in to my Nvidia RTX 2070 Super. The DP cable is rated for 144hz at 1080p.
    Everything is set to 144hz. The OSD, windows settings, Nvidia Control Panel and bench marking software all agree that I am running 144hz.

The Problem is that when my white mouse cursor moves across my black desktop background it looks like I have mouse trails turned on in windows mouse/cursor settings even though I certainly do not. When I click and drag a window across the screen all the text looks blurry. Trying to watch video on this display is actually painful because of the way panning shots look when there is a light colored background. Everything that moves across said background appears to have multiple instances of its self echoing behind in a very short trail, similar to the way the mouse cursor looks on the desktop, but with a much shorter trail so that it created a sort of distorted stuttering. It is worth mentioning at in games it looks a lot better. There is almost no blur but its there and it should't be! I have been using this display like this for almost a year now. I always thought it was my old computer which was the problem, but now the display is exactly the same on my new one that I just built. I am being told that what I am seeing is called 'shadowing'.

I was advised to change DP cables, try the display with another computer and mess around with custom resolutions and to turn on and off G-Sync. All efforts yielded nothing positive. I have also turned off G-Sync so that I could manually change the OD settings. None of this made any difference whatsoever. My next step, if nobody here can help me, is to buy another monitor and see if that one looks any better. I would rather not do that. I paid over $200 for this one. I feel like it should do the trick. I would even settle for less than 144Hz if I can get it to look better. To be honest, I can get better quality out of my 60Hz display! I should be able to get Acer customer support help on this, but I can't even register the monitor because its telling me that the SNID on this thing belongs to some device which has warranty that ended in 2011...this monitor was not even manufactured until 2018 and should have a 3 year warranty.

I have been doing research for 2 weeks and can not find any suggestion other than "turn on OD" and "You need a new DP cable". The monitor has a 1ms pixel response time and I am running it at its native 1080 x 1920 144hz resolution. The PC is an absolute beast, so it should have no problem pushing 1080 at 144hz and I really can't understand why the display looks so terrible. I don't know what is going on here but I'm pretty much ready to throw in the towel and never look at another Acer product again.

Any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Usually, setting overdrive to normal is what produces best results. Setting it to high often introduces artifacts that look like a bunch of discrete trailing white shadows (as opposed to a continuous gray tail of "classical" ghosting).

If you've tried all settings and the monitor always displays unusual amount of ghosting, you may have a bad unit and perhaps you could have it replaced. A small amount of motion blur is to be expected, though, regardless of the 144Hz and the 1ms declared response time. I see that The price is being knocked down a bit as it's currently on sale for $170 on Amazon, and at that price puts it more or less in class with these units:

If it looks like those (it should be similar to the 2nd and 3rd model, as those are TN based), it might be normal, but if it's worse, then perhaps you should ask for a refund. BTW, how's the ghosting at 60Hz, same, worse, better?

3. Gimlett

Gimlett New Member

Its more noticeable at 60Hz

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Here's a way to rule out the cable: use HDMI or DVI. If ghosting shows up using those cables then it's the monitor. If it doesn't, it's either the cable or the connector.

I highly doubt it's the cable though. I recall something about people switching to HDMI resolving other issues with that monitor, such as blanking out, unstable refresh rates, and such, but then again you lose out on the 144hz refresh.

5. Gimlett

Gimlett New Member

I was using HDMI until recently. When I built a new rig with access to a DP port, I bought the DP cable thinking it was going to fix the problem. It looks the same on my new system as the old one at 120Hz. I have been thinking I just didn't know how to set up the monitor. Hopefully I can talk the vendor in to giving me a refund nearly a year after purchase...

6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Factory reset on the monitor, maybe?

Give these settings a shot too:

Super Sharpness, ACM, Blue Light = off.
    Don't turn Gamma up too high (2.0 - 2.2 max).
    Brightness around 5 - 10 (max)
    Contrast about 50% (max, try 45% first)

7. Gimlett

Gimlett New Member

I really appreciate all the suggestions and insight. I think its time to throw in the towel. Anyone have a recommendation on a decent 144hz monitor that won't make my eyes bleed when I watch videos/movies on it? Looking at no more than $300ish price range. Obviously less is better but I would prefer quality over savings.