Show your new stuff

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Bolletje, Aug 5, 2009.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

And have always preferred Nvidia.. I have used a AMD Based GC in the past and had many issues with the drivers.

Calliers likes this.
  2. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

I propose we build a statue of @Judas in the middle of HH headquarters.

The statue will rotate so that he can cast a keen eye on all the liberals and degenerates of the time.

And when the poopy hits the proverbial fan the statue will lift off with a select few on board so it can escape the coming hundred years of oncoming nuclear winter.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  3. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Personally, I've been in a very similar mindset; AMD, I've found, have been a much better bang for the buck but, from my prior experience, the frame rates fluctuate far too much (on the odd occasion under 20FPS). Nvidia, however, have always been stable for me (touch wood) and I know work very well with hardware acceleration.
    Re drivers, the biggest pains in my experience were MSI and a brand that I can't recall the name of (might've been Powercolor?) that used reference PCBs. Absolute [censored] for driver stability.
    Recently, however, I've seen AMD cards blast Nvidia cards out of the water when it comes to productivity and hardware encoding, especially with the Adobe suite. The Radeon 7 really stood out with reliability on Premier, causing it to crash less frequently (not something I've ever experienced personally but I appreciate that I'm a complete novice).
    On the flip side though I can't get the bad taste of the frame rate fluctuations out of my mouth and, for me, gaming's first and video editing isn't one of my main concerns so I've stuck with the brands that I trust the most.

tl;dr I'm in the same boat when it comes to trusting Nvidia but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend AMD.

Calliers likes this.
  4. Calliers

As much as I hate to admit it, the handful of Nvidia machines I've built, whether I paired the cards with an Intel processor or AMD, seemed to be a lot more stable. Just my 2c.

5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Just curious, why not the 2060 super?

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

This has flipped in recent years, with amd holding the better minimum frame times and stability in that arena. Much of that can be attributed to the fact that nvidia's drivers are heavily bias towards the single core frequency and if it's hopping around even the slightest, you're going to have a bad time.

Averages and minimums tend to remain better if not far more stable on the AMD hardware.

XFX have been absolutely horrific in terms of dealing with just doing a driver install... msi's and even Asus's recent hardware launches are pretty garbage, which coincidentally correspond with the Geforce program that was lit up as being monopolistic/anti-competitive as nvidia basically started black balling these AIBs into ensuring that their top model'd cards and branding (naming) was exclusively for the nvidia cards alone. Even though that was brought to light, there's been some rather obvious detrimental impacts that have clearly shown regressions in those AIB's products for amd, specially MSI where they were king of the hill with the 400 series polaris cards and then fell back a fair bit in the 500 series, further degredation with the vega and then they royally fucked up with the recent navi cards with zero acknowledgement from msi themselves.

Following the hardware failings of both brands and the driver woes.... and the statistically collected information and unbias fact checks that have been put through, not to mention extensive investigations, amd's factually had a far superior driver stability run and when it comes to hardware problems, also again top of the charts in stability and execution. People have tried to pick apart the PCBs on most amd hardware and the referrence designs and most of the reliable AIBs such as sapphire, tend to greatly over build, where as nvidia's cards are often either just sufficient enough with little to no headroom and/or using considerably poorer quality parts. One reason we saw RTX cards going pop in the 2070/2080/2080ti ranges not to mention their considerably higher failure rates in the long term (5+ year) compared to the ATI/AMD equivalence.

7. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

8. Trusteft

New bookcases. 4 in total, but the other 2 are going to hold mostly books.
    Shocking, I know.
    [​IMG]image hosting website

FuNsTeR, IvanV, MIG-31 and 2 others like this.
  9. Trusteft

10. Trusteft

11. Calliers

This chick scared the crap out of me when I was younger.

Trusteft likes this.
  12. Trusteft

Even though it's a hilarious movie, I always since the 80s found the movie first of all thriller/sci-fi mix, above all. Many years later I was surprised (with access to internet) to find out that for many people, especially English speaking (native), this movie was above all a comedy.
    As for Gozer, yeah always creepy AF as was the whole last part of the movie.

Calliers likes this.
  13. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Okay... Been a few more amps and stuff since I last posted in here, Another Laney or two... I have a pair of Sunn Beta amps plus a Beta 2X12 Combo, an Alpha 2X12 Combo. Several of the Sunn Alpha Mixers. An Alpha Four, Alpha Six And Alpha Eight, all in working condition... Couple guitars, one a Baritone. Sunn stereo Bass rig is largely complete.... Some more speakers, (not enough, need more)... Effects pedals... Probably something I'm leaving out.

Anyways...

this happened today...

Blue.jpg

And... There's a story. (of course there's a story)

This is a 2001 Matamp "USA" (Electric Amp Company) made from Matamp "UK" parts... One of the first built when Electric Amp acquired the rights, and the parts, to build Matamp in the USA. The GT120 circuit has had several "revisions" over the years. The late 90's circuit is said to be among the best, the UK parts acquired by Electric in 2001 were this circuit. Matamps are massive sounding things, Orange OR120's on steroids, eats Marshall amps for lunch kind of amp. "Bass Boost" knob as well as the "Gain" knob is part of that "secret tone sauce"

Anyways, the story gets better... Among the first orders to Matamp USA was an order for 3 amps, in blue tolex and named "Blue" (They also made "Green", "Red", "White" "Black" etc.) These 3 Blue Matamp GT120 were special ordered for The Blue Man Group. You may have heard of them?... Specifically "Blue Man Vegas LLC" The amps would have been used in their stage shows.

Note: There are only 3 of these amps exactly like this, they were specified to have no serial number stamped into the chassis as per Blue Man Vegas. Electric Amp has verified this as one of the three. No other amps built by them had "No Serial Number" specification on the orders.

Electric Amp got the amp back in trade several years ago and warehoused it. In April of this year, they completely rebuilt the amp with new old stock parts, inspected every component and solder joint, basically a "New" old amp, if you want to call 2001 "old". But back to it's condition when new and built with UK parts. From the few photos, the chassis looks like new, tolex covering is very good. Nobody spilled beer all over it while it was turned on or dropped it out of the back of a truck... Circuits look excellent, new controls, matched capacitors, one slight dent in the chassis that can't be seen when it's assembled. New tubes, professionally setup and biased. Matched preamp tubes....

Blue2.jpg

Meanwhile, Matamp company has bought it's rights back and are now building them in the UK... Electric Amp USA can no longer build these amps with the "Matamp" logo or with this same circuit. They do still build the "colored" amps except for "Green" which was acquired by Matamp when they bought their company back. Matamp UK's main designer has the last name Green, so they paid extra for the rights to "Green Matamp".

I just bought "Blue" directly from Electric Amp this morning. Should have it next week. One of 3, the other two, nobody knows their whereabouts or condition.

I actually did not pay a "collector's " price for it. The whole "story" is free but documented. I paid a little less than "market price" for a "Used late 90's early 2000, Matamp/Electric GT120" in good condition. (this is much better than "good" condition having been just serviced by the manufacturer) If found, many sellers won't ship, Electric is shipping for free... (FedEx Insured, These guys (Electric amps) ship amps all over the world. They know how to pack an amp so it arrives safely) Over the last 8 months that I have been watching I've only seen 3-4 of these Matamp GT120's show up in the used market in the USA. They are usually trashed or over priced. One is trashed AND over priced and won't ship... It's still there. "average" price range $2100-$2900 used as-is. (Used/As-Is = Might not work) Yeah, not cheap, but I paid on the low end of that range. A brand new GT120 2012 version circuit (Electric Amps) or 2016 Version from Matamp UK run around $3800.00 dollars with a three month backlog... and don't sound the same. For reference a new Orange Amp UK 100 watt amp is around $2500 new, depending on model.

Back when I first saw the "colored amp" series I always wanted a "Purple" Matamp GT120 full stack...

I guess "Blue" will have to do. Seriously!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    niceguyrichy and Calliers like this.
  14. Trusteft

Love the first 3 movies.
    I don't consider the 4th one a Mad Max movie, but it is still fun.

[​IMG]

Calliers and Tipstaff like this.
  15. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

<3 classic !

Trusteft likes this.
  16. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

What can I say? I'm a Zelda and Metroid fan, so any new game is an instant buy for me. Picked this up cheap too as I had a $25 off coupon with Amazon.

Gotta say.. beautiful game. SImply beautiful. A bit easy though.

Trusteft and Calliers like this.
  17. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

Out with the Old...
    [​IMG]

In with the New...

[​IMG]

The 2015 KIA Soul has been the very best...and most dependable...car I've ever owned. The only mechanical thing that had to be done in its 96000 miles was to replace the Catalytic Converter at 53000 miles. Today, it has just over 96000 miles...and would very likely have lasted me another 5 years and more.

But, the Drive-train Warranty, 10 years/100, 000 miles was going to expire soon.

Since I no longer make pizza deliveries, I certainly don't expect to put nearly as many miles on this 2020 KIA Soul as I did with the 2015.

I have only a very few niggles with this one: It doesn't come any longer with Sirius XM as part of the package. I can, however, have the chip installed if I choose to do so. Since Sirius XM is now mobile, I may or may not decide to do that.

I also am not too sure if I like the headlights as low as they are compared to the older model. I'll have to do more night driving to decide one way or the other. But, it's not going to make much difference whether I like it or not. I only had to extend my payments by a little more than 3 years to get into the new one.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  18. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

That's some serious mileage in just four years. Enjoy your new ride! :)

Dyre Straits likes this.
  19. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

Yes, it is! In the first 2 years, making deliveries, I put on 53000 miles.

Besides the fact that the warranty was about to expire, I also still had almost 2 years of payments left on the '15. The '20 has the full warranty, and I added coverage for the electrical, also. That also includes ding and dent repair. The new loan extends my payments by a little more than 3 years.

20. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

crazy mileage mate
    I thought we were doing well with about 65k in just under 4 years

newer Kia looks nicer imo :)

Dyre Straits likes this.