Silent gaming system

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I was wondering, what type of gaming system could one build with certain unbroken limits?

1. No fans or other mechanical parts which make noise.

2. No liquid cooling.

I realize it would have to be a lower than max specced system. No GTX 2080 etc.

Still, what could one build/purchase? What's the most powerful system with the above limitations?

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I know of a 2600 running with an entirely passive cooler (though they used a big one on a 2700x ryzen cpu which did work too), there's also a RX 570 with an oversized heatsink that was down clocked to around i think it was 1150mhz, and someone did that to a R7 recently too, basically you can say goodbye to the 5 other slots below the card, again passive, and using the undervolt, the R7 was easier due to the fact that the HBM2 and GPU are all under one hood so to speak, the VRMs are more than capable of handling the load without being in direct contact, however i'm sure slapping individual heatsinks on them wouldn't hurt, i suspect running the R7 at around 1250-1500mhz should be plenty possible with the HBM at around 750-800mhz without it breaking much of a sweat and still being a bloody powerhouse of a chip.

A beefy enough psu should be able to work passively too, so long as it's idle draw is sufficient.

In all honesty i don't think it would necessarily be that difficult, it's mostly just putting it together carefully with the additional parts to make the modification piratical and safe, and if i were to do something like that myself, the case i'd put it in would likely be again a raven case or at least one that would thermally work to one's advantage to avoid building up hot spots, allowing the heat to rise and cool air to be drawn in from below, so a 90 degree board turn so that add in cards run vertical, and this should allow for a more stable large heatsink mount on the video card without serious sag.

3. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

@Trusteft

Check out this video, fun stuff.

Oh, and might I add, if you're going to be building a fanless waterless PC, you'll probably need an open case, either a test bench one or one with no front, top, bottom or back.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I've built several over the years. These days mostly HTPC machines. No more gaming.

My advice would be to Google passive computers, and take a look at what pops up, like Silent PC's builds, or NoFan builds. Do a search on reviews for their systems, and other passive builds. Take note of what parts they've used, and try to match it.

The reason I got away from completely passive systems is it's too expensive. Case alone, one that has heat pipes built in that run to a massive heatsink on the exterior like the old Zalman TNN 500AF, cost in the hundreds if not thousand dollar range. Just not realistic. The most prevalent cases you'll find these days for passive cooling are mini cases, cases mostly used for HTPC builds.

In the end I've found it more efficient to go with a hybrid setup: go passive as much as you can, like the CPU (huge heatsink), GPU (you can get an Nvidia GTX1030 or GTX 1050 that are fanless), and power supply (Seasonic still makes a true fanless design, but it's expensive), throw the parts into a case that has sound proofing, and that uses the bare minimum fans.. maybe 2 running at 1000 RPM max.. or even 700 RPM (pay particular attention to reviews on fans at that speed.. just because they are low RPM doesn't mean their quiet as some have audible clicks when they run slow). Go with something just enough to pull air out of the case, push pull setup, but quiet enough you'd never hear them.

Oh, and one way to get around the power supply issue is to go with an ITX board that uses a power adapter instead of requiring a power supply. Looks for something like "motherboard with external power supply". That should pop up a bunch. Otherwise you could go with a pico PSU, or similar adapter. It's converts an external power adapter for use with a motherboard that has an ATX connector. Usually around 120w to 250w max power though.

Trusteft likes this.
  5. Trusteft

Has anyone found anything more powerful than a 1050 ti that is fanless (no liquid cooling either)?
    I am not sure if a 1050 ti would be even as powerful as my 980m and even though I do want to go fanless, I don't want to go slower than my current (dying) gaming setup.

6. Judas

980m is considerably faster than a 1050ti. 1050/1050ti's even on desktop were a complete waste of money, specially the TI since it was a few bucks cheaper than a RX 470/570 and both those RX cards blew it way the hell out of the water.

Sadly though, there is only the 1050ti and RX 460/560's that have passive options. All others have some form of fan.

There is however completely passive 3rd party coolers designed to affix to a RX 570 or the nvidia 1060, though among the options the rx570 is technically faster overall and usually far far cheaper.

Trusteft likes this.
  7. Trusteft

How does a 980m compare to say a Vegas 20 or Pro Vegas 48 like those found in MBP and iMac of 2019?

8. Judas

Vega 20 would probably be close to on par.... considering it's potential.... it'll destroy it in compute and actual creators environments however. The 48 is quite potent.... apple's vegas are very powerful.

Trusteft likes this.
  9. Trusteft

Thanks.

10. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

An interesting one that I came across recently that might be of interest is below. The aspect that makes it interesting is that he was able to make it work without fans. Granted, it's a touch larger but could be food for thought.

FTR I'm aware that you mentioned no liquid cooling. Might be still worth a watch though, especially if there is anyone else reading this thread interested in making a silent system.