Sim 3 has lost $9m to piracy

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by MIG-31, May 28, 2009.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

The party that’s sure to follow EA’s release of The Sims 3 next week is likely to be a little subdued thanks to the news that the game is being pirated at a faster rate than ‘the most pirated game of 2008’ Spore.

Bloomberg reports that an illegal version of the game which hit the internet earlier this month was downloaded 180,000 times between its appearance on May 18th and May 21st.

2. lepel

lepel New Member

I can't believe this game gets pirated so much, since it's more casual than hard core. I always thought hard core games got targeted faster.

3. YAYitsAndrew

YAYitsAndrew Anti-Piracy Poster Boy

There is no protected genre, audience, or position in the industry. Casual, hardcore, indie, published, pro-DRM, anti-DRM, everyone is getting hosed by piracy.

From the article:
    I really wish anyone on the fence would take notice of this and stop supporting the pirates before they deal a killing blow to the pc games industry.

4. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

they shouldn't count every download as a missed sale, because that isn't the case.
    Only thing it does is create a crooked view and pump up the numbers..

Alot of people will download the game just to see what they have done to the game this time to milk it. What's new, how does it look, how does it play etc. I doubt it each and every one will really play the game much longer then 2 hours.

I'm not talking about piracy in general but now just for the sims 3.

5. YAYitsAndrew

Yeah I don't think they get anything but a sensational headline by counting piracy as lost sales. There is a study that showed confirmed pirates will buy a copy if they can't get the pirated version to work. The game developer purposely released a CD key that does not work, and logged the IP of pirates that tried to use it, and then compared that to the IP addresses of their purchasers. So it IS true that piracy leads to a decrease in sales (and honestly who would argue otherwise except a pirate) but any sort of industry average has so far been undiscovered.

6. lepel

lepel New Member

I think that with games being multiple gigabytes in size, you think twice before downloading to "just play for two hours".

7. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I hate sensational "articles" like this.

8. The Captain

The Captain New Member

:sigh:

Not to pick on you, but it's false claims like these which validate the use of DRM.

EA didn't lose $9 million to piracy. Just because someone pirates a game does not mean he/she had the money or enough interest in buying it in the first place. EA only loses money when someone pirates it when he/she could/would have bought it in the first place, if not for piracy.

Take myself for example. When I was in college, I pirated everything - tv episodes, movies, music, games, anime, you name it. However, it's not like I could have purchased (or was even interested in purchasing) even 5% of all the stuff I pirated. I worked a part time job, but everything I earned went toward books, student loans, basic necessities, or car insurance. I pirated those things because they were available, and I didn't have the money to buy them legally. So even though I pirated a large amount of software, music, and videos, the simple fact is that the amount of money that companies lost due to my piracy is actually extremely small.

Now I'm out of college and have a decent job. I don't support piracy; I pay for all of my media/software/games/music. But guess what? I still download and use cracked exe's because none of the Securom PC games with disc checks work on my PC, even though I have bought the games legally.:mad:

Don't get me wrong. I don't support piracy, but the exaggerated claims made by the likes of the RIAA, MPAA, and EA about financial and job losses due to piracy are complete BS. As for DRM, it simply doesn't work and is a waste of money because people will find a way to circumvent and pirate anyway (Spore and every other game with DRM proved that). Publishers like EA just use piracy as an excuse to shove DRM down our throats and punish the people who buy games legally. Pirates will simply crack the game and strip out the DRM, so they don't care.

Don't listen to the shills who blame piracy for everything. Piracy isn't good or bad. It is simply the consequence of living in a digital age. Anything released in a digital format can and will be easily copied. If EA wants better sales, it needs to stop cramming their games with DRM and start creating better games. Stardock and Valve don't seem to have any problem selling PC games. Maybe the problem lies in EA's own actions and not in those of pirates.

Trusteft likes this.
  9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Fudd!

10. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Haha , this article is unprofessional and too dumb , They count the hits of all torrents of the game and multiply it by game price and tell us they are losses , How did they know that all the hitters downloaded the game , further more how did they know that everyone who downloaded the game won't buy it, You idiots " I am referring to article" the game is not out yet so everyone who want the game and see it on the torrents' sites before its release he will mostly download it out of curiosity before buying " Apart from the people who will not buy the game anyway".

Ah , forgot to answer the writer if he counted his copy or not.

Note : I hate sims game and even if I would be given money to download it I won't :p

11. YAYitsAndrew

My claim is perfectly valid for the quote that I made in the same post. At no point did I mention supporting the $9m piracy claim. In fact, in a later post I agreed it was sensational.

Now to refute the false claims in your post (not to pick on you of course)...

Stardock just got slammed by piracy during Demigod's release. Valve doesn't have any problem selling PC games because steam is one giant DRM solution. Both Valve and Stardock like to claim DRM doesn't do anything to stop piracy, but they both sell DRM technology. Stardock sells Goo, and Valve has Steamworks. Both solutions work because they assume the player has an internet connection to validate with, a leap that the big publishers haven't taken yet. Goo and Steamworks are indeed the best DRM solutions out right now in my opinion, and if you only want to sell to people with internet connections you should use them.

Piracy is not an excuse to get DRM onto our computers. And no business has anywhere in its business plan a goal to "punish our customers." DRM doesn't do anything for the publisher except stop piracy during critical periods. If there weren't DRM, piracy would not stop, contrary to what pirates would like you to believe with the stunt they pulled against Spore.

DRM is still actually effective, and its most effective job is preventing breaking a game's street date with a pirated version, and foiling pirates during the first few weeks when marketing and game hype are at their highest, as well as sales. To see examples of how your game can be negatively affected by piracy during these first few weeks I point you once again to Demigod (but feel free to follow up with World of Goo.)

12. Trusteft

Are you kidding? Sega, EA, Ubisoft, are not big publishers for you?

Stardock pisses me off. They yell at every opportunity that they want what is good for the gamers, that they are against the evil practises of other publishers regarding DRM, etc etc, but they seem to forget the little thing that is (now) called the Impulse application and internet connection (basicaly online validation) to even install a patch. What a joke. Hypocrites.

13. Judas

I can play steam downloaded and installed games on any machine i want without ever having an online connection.... provided i download the offline solution... course CS:S offline is kinda pointless in terms of multiplayer.... fun for awhile.... but half life and lot i've played plenty without an internet connection...

14. Trusteft

Steam is actualy worse than stardock in that respect. At least with Impulse you don't need to have anything else running when you want to play the game.

15. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

People want start making nude patches for sims 3 like did other version haha thats why game always get pirated? LoL I gave up sims after second expanpack because it was getting to much costly just buy the expanpacks lol Whats very funny they have expan pack for IKEAstore for sims ewww...

16. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Sims is a franchise which will be on the top 10 bestsellers list for a long time so even with piracy it will make a boatload more cash than better games out there.

17. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

That's exactly what I was thinking of , even the expansion is on the top list , I bet it is one of the little reasons EA is still alive :dead:

18. YAYitsAndrew

The sims nude patches are just going to get creepier with better graphics. What happens when sex organs hit the uncanny valley....

19. Judas

lol.. i've seen sims... and i don't want to even play that crap..

it's like digital Barbie doll...

20. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

it's just a virtual doll house, nothing more, nothing less..