Simple question

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I want to test a PC build, I don't want to use a case.
    While I remember doing something (about 25 years ago) similar, right now my mind is just a mess.
    So, is it safe to put the motherboard etc on a table, or do I have to take extra precautions so that I don't fry anything?

2. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

Whenever I do it... I put the MB on the static bag the board comes in (I usually have a couple kicking around) on one of the foam protectors that they come with (also plenty kicking around) on the box it came with (again, plenty of MB boxes kicking around for me, LOL)

[​IMG]

This was when I did my case mod and still wanted to use my PC while the paint dried :)

QB

IvanV and Trusteft like this.
  3. Trusteft

Unfortunately I no longer have any such bag any more. Or box. All I have is the box of the graphics card which I don't think it's large enough. So leaving the motherboard on the table is a no no?

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

If the table is non-conductive it shouldn't be a problem...

Trusteft likes this.
  5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

No need for a bag.. in fact i wouldn't put it on a bag... Some boards have VRMs on the backside now and need to have a bit of space to shed heat, so i don't generally recommend setting a board directly on a hardwood or non-conductive surface. Use say lego or something non conductive to lift it a smidge off the table top.

I've been building a lot of my rigs out of case simply because the case always seems to get to me late. The Ryzen boards come with heatsink latches that aren't need (backward compatible with older am4 cpus that use older style heatsink), those being made of plastic.. i and have a unique shape to them, use these to hold the board off the table by placing them in the corners and it sits relatively nicely.

If you need height for a graphics card, then the motherboard boards followed by similar standoffs of your choosing to keep the board raised a hair.

Trusteft likes this.
  6. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Generally, you should be fine, but I'd have an urge to put at least something underneath, cardboard, paper, whatever... But electronically you should be fine on a table.

Trusteft likes this.
  7. Trusteft

So laminated wood it is, wood Jerry, wood!

Thank you all for your input.