Skulltrail - XFX GTX 280 XXX 3-Way SLi /4870X2 CFx

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Aug 17, 2008.

1. mjohns64

mjohns64 New Member

Thanks - I've assumed they are different options that you can choose from, but looking at the other specs, they are also showing the DDR3 - so clearly not a typo... definately something fishy....

Besides - half the fun is building it yourself! Just great seeing some of the case mods as well.. if I only had the time and patience... :)

2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

yeah if you have the time and ability, Id build it yourself. just pick up a few QX9775's (or other 771 cpus if those are too much cost). get a nice chassis, PSU and some FB DDR2 and get working. would be a great project for the new year. 280GTXs are a great price right now as well.

I have emailed that company and if I get a response ill let you know, hopefully they change that page, its extremely misleading.

Welcome to DriverHeaven.

3. mjohns64

mjohns64 New Member

Just been reading your aircooled variant review - now THAT looks like fun...! I think a great challenge would be see just how high you could O/C, while keeping as cool as possible with the least noise... My first gen watercooling system was *a lot* louder that if I'd just stayed with air!

Nice to be here and thanks for the welcome - friendly place! :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  4. HardwareHeaven

Yeah I have had a lot of fun building that air cooled skulltrail system, glad you enjoyed it. I actually finished it last night, changed a few fans around for better cfm and same DB (amazing some of the high quality fans now compared to a few years ago).

The Corsair PSU I noticed recently can get very hot after extended gaming with the CPUs at 4.5ghz and the 3 overclocked 280 GTX's. its not dangerously hot but I think their thermal configuration for fan speeds is set for optimal noise rather than air flow. I was going to open it and replace the fan but I think adjustments would be need to the controller as well.

What I did was I modded the Corsair HX1000W PSU and attached a high quality YSTECH92mm fan to it on the outside of the chassis with it sucking out hot air. I find it has kept the unit much cooler and less ambient heat gets expelled downwards (internally) near the CPU coolers.

All surprisingly quiet considering there are 10 fans in the system.

5. HardwareHeaven

[​IMG]

To: "'www.smoothcreations.com...snip... [email protected]>

Subject: RE: www.smoothcreations.com Contact Us Page
    "Well aware.....typo it is being fixed"

So there you go guys. the fact they used 2x 9770 cpus which wouldnt work in dual mode and DDR3 on a skulltrail motherboard (in 2 various speeds!) is all a simple "typo".

Purchase from these guys with caution.

6. macbiter

macbiter New Member

A typo is a misspelt word, not configuring a system with wrong memory, wrong processors and charging quite a premium for it as well. Looks to me like they don't really know what they are doing.

The guys attitude in email is appalling also, that alone would make sure I never ordered anything from them. How the hell are they going to treat a customer with problems?

Technical configuration issues and attitude in email, great combination for customer confidence there. Thank god I built my own, ive more confident in my own ability than these guys.

7. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

either they know nothing about the product they're trying to sell or.....

it may all just a poorly spelled marketing scheme to get the less educated buyers to pay them more money because of what they see in the specs.....

$8,000 is a big chunk of change.....

8. LukeK

LukeK New Member

fascinating find there. Thats not a typo by any stretch of the imagination - looks more like a system that someone built who actually doesn't know the hardware but more said "ok lets just check all the best components we have" - would certainly be a good indiction of the fact the skulltrail mobo is in there with DDR3, amateur mistake. Also didnt think the reply was very courteous or helpful - wouldnt touch them. Strongly advise all the DHers to stay away too, ive seen too many fly by nights open tech stores, get a chunk load of money and offer substandard builds and over priced systems. I mean would you trust a company who had 2 cpus that cant work in dual mode together with a motherboard that cant take the ram? The Attitude sucks too.

9. coolmister

coolmister New Member

Not a biggy in the scheme of things but on two of those systems (that i can see) the Danger Den TDX CPU blocks are mounted up-side-down which can result in an air bubble getting caught in the top of the block similar to a sprit level and while there is air in a CPU block the water isn't able to its cooling job.

The really annoying thing for me with this faux pas though is that the hose routing would have actually been easier and better if they'd plumbed it the correct way.

All very strange :confused:

10. mjohns64

mjohns64 New Member

Yeah... I think I'll be building my own...

It is a hefty chunk of change - but the excahge rate does work reasonably well... O/C UK is selling a complete system here at just over £5K... (£5079.78)! Current exchange rate for that to USD using xe.com is $9345!!! Thats $1300+ more than Smoothcreations are marketing them for - more than enough to cover the shipping to the UK - I'm sure there would be a *lot* of people who want the latest, but don't have the confidence to do it themselves, so this would be very attractive..... Got to love living in the UK at times...:sigh:

(And before anyone flames me - I know, depending on which US state they are in, there would be the taxes to go on as well, so may not be an apples for apples comparison...! My point being, is that I generally feel that we pay over the odds for kit at times! Global market forcres my Ar$e!!) :mad: /rant

Lian Li case will go on order later this weekend (I can at least afford that between now and Christmas!)... and gives me some time to ponder 'to water cool, or not to water cool'... :)

Thanks for letting us know their reply Zardon... I wonder how long that has been up on their site for?? Just for reference though - it has now been changed and corrected, so they have moved pretty quick once pointed out to them!

As an aside.... would the mobo even powerup with the DDR3 in it? Again, from what I've seen / read I would doubt it... Mind you, I don't think I'd fancy slapping a couple of DIMMS in just to find out! :eek:

cheers,

MJO.

11. HardwareHeaven

Actually they have changed the page but its STILL wrong.

[​IMG]

They are now listing "DDR2" at clock speeds its not capable of running at - they don't even seem aware that this motherboard requires fully buffered ram and the maker of those sticks (also spelt wrong) doesnt even stock it. I will contact them again to see if I get a further reply.

Turning into a rather funny little escapade this.

12. mjohns64

mjohns64 New Member

:sigh:

I bet they will *love* us! :)

HAHAHA.... I wonder what else they can mess up!

13. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

ya it is, real bad showing.

14. HardwareHeaven

reply ........

Allen
    Thanks for looking over the specs
    That system has just been posted not to long ago and we haven't had time to go over the errors
    Web guys don't have the knowledge a builder does and as I am sure you would agree he basically mirrored the Neptune specs adding one proc...2 different systems
    I know you dought our work and we can't please everyone but you might take a look at the CPU Dream Machine article posted on our page
    For the money we had the fastest system there scoring the highest Crysis bench marks they have ever tested
    Beating a 15 thousand dollar Falcon Northwest machine ours running 8k almost getting 2 systems for their price
    If you or the web site you are posting from would like to review a skulltrail system from us I would be glad to send you one.
    We have just built a Skulltraill Tri Sli 280 GTX system
    No overclock it runs a 22k on vantage. Working with intel they have given us some tweaks to overclock to a 4.4 ghz and have stability
    I do think you would agree Skulltrail is not the way to go for a gaming rig anyway.
    Tech Support
    SmoothCreations