Skyrim

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Transk53, May 4, 2012.

1. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

Hi all. Will my now humble Lappy be able to play Skyrim with Medium settings, or atleast, run it? DRAM Frequency is 531.8 on average with 7-7-7-20 timings on a 1-2 divider. GPU is a 512 - 9800M GT. Only meets minimum specs so should I take a punt? Advice very welcomed.

[​IMG]

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

yup it'll play.....

3. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

4. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

Next week getting this :)

5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I'd say 4GB RAM, C2D/AthlonX2 and Geforce 9600/8800 (or Radeon 2900) or better and you're good to go. Not sure what settings/resolution you should be aiming at, though.

6. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

I Can cover the GFx and Memory ok, well basic settings at least. Dual channel Kingston and my M9800 GTshould do it.

My native res is 1920 X 1200, quite high for a 17incher, not sure if that is the card or some onboard hardware acceleration. Depending on how bias is set towards the CPU or GPU for driving the game, think I should get away with some medium settings. If comes to it to preserve the FPS, I'll go low.

7. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I feel I should mention seeing as this is the second time you've mentioned RAM speed/latency that it has almost nothing to do with whether or not you'll be able to play this game. RAM capacity is important, but RAM performance is just a way of eeking a little more out of the PC, and really needs to be horrendously poor to make the difference between playable and unplayable.

Eh? Your native res is determined by the screen and nothing else.

Skyrim's fairly CPU heavy, but so's your laptop. At that res, you might be aiming for low, perhaps with view distance turned up somewhat (the most important setting imo).

8. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

Do that out of habit!

Never really considered that for some reason in that way.

9. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

If you ripped the screen off your laptop, and somehow connected it to any other PC, it'd display at the same native res.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  10. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

That really never occured to me, simplistic nature gets in the way. How obvious :(

11. A Desire to Game

A Desire to Game HardwareHeaven Hoosier

Keyword is "native" resolution. Your monitor will definitely display lower resolution if your GPU isn't up to it. Bump it down to lower res but maintain the aspect ratio for smoother performance. The picture will be less sharp but your FPS will definitely benefit.

Basically...your resolution is not solely dependent on your monitor, just your "native" resolution.

12. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

LCD screens can look really poor at non-native resolutions, unless you go down to exactly half width & half height (e.g. 2560*1600 -> 1280*800). But yes, you can do that if you really have to. Personally I'd sacrifice every single other graphical setting first. Top priority resolution, after than view distance, after that 2xAA.

13. A Desire to Game

Ditto.

14. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

Yeah. Why the hell I came up with that other comment, oh well shit happens. Going to run Fraps when I get it (Skyrim) , probably Friday if I can find it in a shop. I will see what the state of play is. I'm not one for worrying about AA and AF as such, the game play is more important. I don't see the prettiness as it were as most people do,but as most of my games I run modded anyway, I doubt I'll get away with that. Been Gaming since the good ole Amiga, so I'll sort something. Experimentation is the key. But as you say A Desire to Game, this will be somewhat of a struggle to find a semblance of balance. As blibbax says, the res will be top down. I'm old school when it comes to gaming, Blitzkrieg is on my drive at the mo, abeit, heavily modded to run. Single Core game with a Dual Core mod. I'll find a way a with Skyrim :)

15. A Desire to Game

Well said sir, where there is a will there is a way. Maybe you should change your name to something catchy...like, "A Desire to Game." jk.

16. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

Mmm, :) Guess a pseudonym named after a Record Label is a bit pants lol. Did consider Panzer Killer once, thought that sounded cool, if not a bit agressive.

17. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

Damit, I knew I should not have installed BK, a slice of pure gaming heaven. Ordered Skyrim today. However, if the general status is all about eye candy, man am I going to get bored very quickly. Just hope the gameplay has some tangible depth.

18. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Which one are you talking about?

If Skyrim, I've logged well over 200 hours playing and have enjoyed it...except for the companions getting in the way several times. I figured out how to avoid that. ;) Then, actually ended up with one who knows how to handle herself in a fight.

19. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

BK1, although having some issues with the game speed. Guess it is a threading issue as the native game speed increases from default. The whole enviroment speeds up. The Dual Core patch is based on Athlon X2 stroke Core Duo.

With Skyrim, how high are your Gfx settings?

20. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

What? The whole game speeds up? That's not one I've heard of before (having played the game on two C2D systems, one of which had a G92 based GPU...).

There's really no need for "dual core patches" anymore btw, they do more harm than good.

I can't advise you as to sensible graphical settings for your system, as I don't really have anything quite like it. Like I said earlier, I'd start with everything on minimum at native res, then gradually turn things up in order of priority until you find a balance of graphics/performance you're happy with.