SLI no longer working 2nd card not detected

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by OmegaRED, Aug 14, 2009.

1. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I pulled out one of my 260's to install Windows on another PC and now that I've put it back into my PC Windows won't detect the presence of a 2nd card nor will the Nvidia Control Panel show the card.

I tried the following to no avail:
    -Swap the cards out to make sure they aren't faulty (both work fine on their own)
    -Reseat the cards into the PCI-Express slots, making sure there is a proper fit (did this enough times that the locking tab snapped off on both pci-express slots! Still, the fit is good and they are screwed in tight.
    -Booting into Windows with and without the SLI Bridge installed. It is connected on the slots furthest away from the front of the PC (as directed).
    -Uninstalling Nvidia display drivers, cleaning them out and reinstalling with a different set.
    -Checked power cables, the fans on both cards are running normally.

I don't know what else to do. This is really pissing me off :mad:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  2. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

maybe its the board youre using? check the slots

3. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I blew the slots with compressed air and they appear to be clean. I also removed several cables from the motherboard that could get in the way of the card fitting but it made no difference.

I hope it's not the board because SLI mb's are too expensive and the lack of purchasing options is frustrating so if I can't get it to work I'm just gonna sell both my video cards and get a 285GTX. This experience has put me off SLI for good.

4. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

sounds like you have been thorough and tested everything. Did you try a clean OS install? I am pretty positive it is the slot that has an issue but its always worth checking its not a windows driver initialisation issue.

Don't let this put you off SLI - I have been running SLI for years and years over a huge variety of systems and I have to say it is really reliable.

5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Is it always one PCI-E slot that doesn't work? Also, is the second card powering up properly (fan, LED).

I also notice that you're using a 192 with a 216. I'm surprised that that's possible, but if it worked before and scaled properly than obviously that's not the issue.

6. dipstick

dipstick New Member

That's weird man. I would try running each card alone in each of the two pcie slots. That will make sure they both work in both slots. Stupid Q for such a new board but are there any jumper pins or bios settings for SLI on that? Try resetting the bios maybe?

7. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I may try an OS reinstall but most likely I will just sell/trade both cards and get a 285 or sell one and hold out for the next gen of ATI/Nvidia to hit. I've tried all the mentioned tips and given up hope solving it.

8. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Omega, in the bios there is a section that deals with what graphics to initialize first when booting up, what is it set to? Also, there is a reset configuration option just underneath it, have you tried to reset it, with and without both cards installed?

9. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I tried setting that to PCIE and it didnt make a difference. Also, I did reset the cmos which I suppose is the same thing as reset configuration data.

I'm going to try a couple more things that have been mentioned here and on EVGA forums now while I take the cards out to take pictures for sale purposes.

10. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Don't trade in for a 285 - it'll be slower than the 260s and a lot more expensive than even a really good new SLI motherboard.

If you don't want to upgrade the motherboard, waiting for the next gen and selling one of the 260s now seems like a sensible option.

This is all assuming that the motherboard is the problem of course.

11. HardwareHeaven

well to be honest if I were him I would get a 2gb 285 GTX if he wants to move to a single card solution. the high level of texture memory and lack of SLI driver profile makes it rather a tempting solution (a 2gb card is also awesome for GTA4 if it interests him still). Also means if he did get another SLI mobo he could slot in a second 285 GTX later when funds permitted. I am not a fan of running mismatched SLI, have had a few minor issues with it.

Check out the 2gb 285 GTX review published today front page. (nice plug eh?) :p

12. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Zardon knows how I think, I saw the review and went straight to the GTAIV results before getting to his post here :D

The Sparkle GTX285 is $425 on Newegg Canada, I'm selling my GTX's for 300 so that's not a bad deal.

Out of curiousity, what would you guys suggest if I were to replace my SLI board? I was under the impression that options are limited to mostly 750i & 780i because anything higher would require DDR3 (no way I'm switching after getting 8gig of DDR2). I spent $250 on this current SLI MB last year and the prospect of buying another overpriced SLI board bugs me but I won't rule it out yet...that's how much I love these 260's.

13. HardwareHeaven

Intel Desktop Board DX58SO - Overview

Intel DX58S0 - I know it hasnt received glowing reports via the press but I will be absolutely honest and say the board freaking rocks. I have like 30 motherboards in this room and its the first one I go for. once its in, you can test anything on it.

SLi, Crossfire and although people said it wasnt an awesome overclocker I have a 965EE at 3.9ghz and DDR3 at 1900mhz without any issues. Rock solid board and has 2x16 width ports for whatever you need.

Would be my number one choice, even if it is an unpopular one. I have had 4870 X2 crossfire X in it. 285 GTX, 4890s, and currently two 295 GTXs in quad sli.

Its faultless for reliablity as well.

EDIT: oops saw you said DDR2. ill shut up now :(

EDIT 2: just checked your system specs and you dont have an I7 either. Yes, I suck, sorry !

14. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Hehe.

You probably won't get an SLI motherboard much better than the one you have now for the 125$ extra that a 285 would cost you, and I'm guessing you don't want the same board again given this problem. However, in most games, like I said before, 2 GTX260s should be significantly faster, so it's worth getting something like a 780i IMO.

15. Bolletje

Bolletje New Member

Can you see the other card with GPU-z?