Some Basic Questions First.

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by drwho, May 10, 2013.

1. drwho

drwho Active Member

OK, so I've decide to give it a go with the OC'ing of my computer. But first, I've got a few basic questions. Being as this will be my first time, I don't plan on setting any world records. Maybe a modest OC of 4.4-4.5 might work as I've heard that the 2600k can reach those speeds without much effort.

1. Is it best to start out slow and maybe start at an oc of 4.0 first and then move up from there. I'm assuming once I'm satisfied that everything is stable I can move up from there just raising the multiplier and the vcore voltage.

2. What is a good voltage for an oc of 4.0?

I'm sure there are other pieces I'm missing to ask about so if you guys would have any suggestions, I would be grateful. :)

2. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

1. Raise it in small steps until it becomes unstable under a stresstest. Then you raise the voltage in small steps until it's stable again. Depending on how you raise the cpu you might need to keep an eye on memory speed and timings as well.

2. I have no idea about that cpu so I can't say anything in that regard but one thing I know for sure is true for all cpu's is, they're all different. You need to find what your needs. You can use others experience with that same cpu as a startingpoint though but if you're fortunate you have one that can take a lot with only a small adjustment, if you're unlucky you might not get anywhere near what others have.

Just make sure you have enough cooling. The better the cooler the higher you can go. With a crappy cooler you won't get very far at all.

3. drwho

drwho Active Member

Thanks for the advice, Liquorice. Appreciate it.

I'm using a Corsair H100 for my cooler.

4. TwsT

TwsT OcUK TwsT

nvm didn't read the date lol

5. WxMan1

WxMan1 Active Member

There is ONE inviolable rule of overclocking:

1) voids mfg warrenty
    2) can cut life expectancy by as much as 1/2, e.g., instead of the component, e.g., CPU for FIVE years, it may only last 2 1/2 years; weep as you read my PIII 1400-S is now running 24/7 & crunching BOINC @ 1575 2 1/2 years later. In fact I demand weeping and all that. It makes me feel better.
    3) cooling of components being O/C'd
    4) component interface / cooling gook / cooling pads / cooling tech (read up on as much as you can before you vomit)
    5) basic O/C is fairly easy - nuances dependent on details are sublte & arcane, e.g. memory timings
    6) major focus / understanding should be memory timings (and their tweakings)
    7) find the highest short-term stable CPU / DRAM clock(s) ratio and back off the major overarching multiplier by one.
    8) Prime-95 success is provisional
    9) 7-Zip - WinZip, WinRar alternative tool - benchmark failure is indicative of prollems to be resolved either in timing, cooling or quality of components.

That rule is invoilable. If you follow it, things should go fairly well to middlin with ya.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  6. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

[​IMG]

Mooooore or less certain he'll have figured it out by now ;)