some overclocking questions!

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Ishank, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Ishank

Ishank New Member

Hey guess I am here again after long time cause my net was f***ed up.....I have some questions for overclocking.

1. Will overclocking a graphics card only GPU not CPU wil also increase the temps of ich in my board since ich temp are already high?

2. Does changing core clock voltage will also affect other components of pc?

3. Is core clock voltage can be changed in any motherboard or only in some boards? Does mine board support this?

4. Last question is Does all graphics card models have same core voltage? I have gtx 460 and my cousion has gts 450 so these two cards work on same voltage or not. How can I measure the max safe voltage for these two cards.

Any help will be appreciated.THANKS.:)

2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

1. Yes, like anything. For example, if you put electricity though a copper coil encased in a metal and plastic case you get a kettle.
    2. No.
    3. GPU clocking settings are done through the manufacturer's tool(s). For example, EVGA Precision allows you to overclock EVGA cards. I believe Ntune allows you to overclock Nvidia cards.
    4. No, far from it. Different models of graphics cards have different voltages and some manufacturers will have different voltages to achieve better speeds or lower costs.

Other than that, I can't really help as I'm not an overclocker.

3. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

All I've ever done is use Atitool for overclocking gpu's. Not sure if Nvidia as something similar for their cards...
    I wouldn't mess too much with the voltages of gpu's as frying them is an expensive business.

4. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

Generally, there isn't a whole lot to be gained by messing with the GPU voltages anyway. Especially if you are talking about the factory coolers that don't cool the RAM chips and/or use terrible thermal paste on the GPU heatsink.

I strongly discourage OCing unless you have plenty of room in the temperature department or have a way to reduce it by a ways.

5. mac_angel

mac_angel New Member

grab MSI's Afterburner. It lets you have access to all the overclocking tools, including voltage. As others have said, messing with the voltages isn't that great of an idea, so if you're just going to mess with the clocks, then EVGA's precision is great and what I use. I do overclock, CPU and GPU.
    start off with increasing the core clock. Try going up 20MHz at a time, and test if for artifacts for a few minutes. Once you find artifacts (graphics anomolies - large triangles flashing across your screen, or coloured rainbows), then dial it back 5MHz at a time until you don't find any artifacts. Run it longer to make sure. Once you do that, then I'd suggest dialing it back another 2MHz. Playing games, you're talking about playing rather intensive games for a long period of time.
    Once you find the max core clock you can do the same for the memory afterwards. Since the memory is a lot faster to begin with you can dial it up to 50MHz at a time. Same thing, once you get artifacts then dial it back 10MHz at a time until it clears, and then another 5MHz.
    A common blue screen error is nvidia DLLs having some sort of problem or another. If your computer crashes or game crashes, check the Event Viewer to see the cause. As I said, most times if you're gaming and it crashes it will be an nvidia DLL. A way around this is again, EVGA Precision. If you're playing an intensive game then take off Auto for the fan controller and put it up to 80 - 85%. Higher than that it gets pretty loud, but if you're wearing headphones and can't hear it then the cooler the better.