Something seriously wrong with my computer...

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by isaak, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

I finally got around to reinstall vista as it was acting up a bit. A seemless reinstall - nothing happened which is good. First impressions were that it was running snappier...until after about an hour of use my internet would just STOP working (ie. no pages would load). This freaked me out even more because after this happened I couldn't even open any internet browsers (tried mozilla and IE8), they would open in the "processes" section of ctrl + alt + dlt, but nothing would show, let alone load the pages... WTF :mad::mad::mad:

The only fix to this is to restart my computer every hour...

Could this be a problem with the reinstall? it never happened before.

PS its vista home edition 64bit

2. CitySlicker

CitySlicker Banned

do a memory test (memtest86+) and see what's the result is - 1 lap usually is sufficient!
    looks like you gotta hardware issue and this is not going away with an fresh install.

3. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

cheers for the snappy reply :)

i am installing software to create the .iso cd now, and i will post back after the tests.

4. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Ok well memtest didnt do anything (literally) i started it up and it went to 7% complete and time 00:00:04. left it overnight and the same screen was there...

I then tried lowering my overclock back to normal (2.66) and the same problem occured. I am now trying a different set of ram ( 4GB Kingston HyperX 1066mhz) as opposed to my old ram (6GB Team Dark 800mhz).

We'll see how it goes.

5. CitySlicker

CitySlicker Banned

4gig ram test completes in around 30 minutes - overclocks are bad for system stability.

sorry for being late but this forum seems to have issues with sending out post notifications - I hardly ever get one....

6. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

bad memory causes the stuff you described...

hopefully the new RAM holds...

7. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Yup the new 4GB is going well...what would be the problem with the old RAM? I have now put it into my sisters computer and will let her test it and if anything arises I guess i'll have to buy more.

thanks for the input guys

8. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

UPDATE: its happened again with the new ram. help! it always happens after around an hour and 10mins of uptime...just stops loading pages, causes computer to lag in general, and then I can't open up any browsers at all

9. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

Could it be a North bridge voltage problem?
    I am not sure, but to me it sounds like a voltage problem, or psu problem.

the IMC isnt getting enough juice, the processor itself isnt getting enough juice, or the memory pass through (north bridge) isnt getting enough juice.

Happened to me MANY times, while trying to find the lowest voltage and offsets for my rigs, However I also use AMD. You're on intel, I have no idea if overclocking is cross regerencable between them, but voltage is a constant.

10. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

HDD does it too but im not sure how to test it...... a utility from your HDD company may tell you something

isaak likes this.
  11. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

A Bad hard drive can do it too, but he should be getting some form of smart warning if its failing....

isaak likes this.
  12. CitySlicker

CitySlicker Banned

Do the ram test again - does it freeze again?

if so you gotta bad sys board provided no overclock and temperatures are all in range.

isaak likes this.
  13. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Ok I will be sure to try the test again.
    @seraphic, my clocks have all been lowered to stock settings but it still happens.

14. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Given that the board uses a Marvell 88E056 Gigabit Ethernet chip, have you tried Marvell's updated drivers? The ones Asus supplies for that board on their site are really really old.

They don't allow direct linking, so to get the updated drivers head to THIS page on Marvell's site.

Another way to get a more updated driver is to change Windows update to allow searching for other updates, and a more updated Marvell driver will show up for you to download.

isaak likes this.
  15. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

I installed the drivers that came with my motherboard cd, but that caused my computer to blue screen to "IRQL_not_less_or_equal" error. I found out this was to do with faulty drivers...

I am downloading the latest drivers as we speak.

I have also done a fair bit of research on this, and it seems the problem is relativley common, but no one has found a proper fix for it. I'm thinking about just going out and buying windows 7 and starting again.

16. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

I have now been online for 1hr 30mins...so far so good. I am downloading a 3gb file though, and I am thinking this is the reason why it is still online. Other people with the problem seemed to think that by downloading something or playing a game it keeps the port open so everything can access the internet, whereas when you go to start a new internet session the port is closed and will not be opened until a reboot.

It could also be that the new marvell drivers fixed it. time will tell. in the meantime, thank you all veery much for your replies, some rep can be found in this thread from me :)

17. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I hope it holds up for you. ;)

18. Doupsey

Doupsey New Member

exect this problem was also with my older pc then I was stop working with that and bought a laptop of HP and then another one of toshiba.

19. shaman9876

shaman9876 New Member

When you cannot get to the internet do you still have access to your local network? If so then it is probably the Vista / windows 7 autotuning not being compatible with your router. I have had this issue on 2 machines of mine. One windows 7 alienware laptop and a HP desktop with Vista. The fix is to disable autotuning Per Microsoft's site Network connectivity fails when you try to use Windows Vista behind a firewall device they have a manual way to fix it and their "Fix it For me" app.

Auto Tuning - TCP/IP receive level - Vista Forums
    Here is another way to do it. Which also shows the steps to revert it.

I know you guy's think it may be hardware related, but try this software fix. You might be surprised.

Hope this helps

20. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.