Sony confirms PlayStation 4K

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by Calliers, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Sony has confirmed the long-reported existence of PlayStation 4K.

Not PS4K.

Referred to simply as a "high-end PS4" with support for 4K content, there's no word yet on when the machine might launch, or how much it will cost.

There will be no announcements next week at E3 either, PlayStation boss Andrew House has told Financial Times - hence the low-key confirmation now.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Waste of money, unless they don't plan on releasing PS5 for at least another 4 years.

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I honestly think they aren't really planning on doing more major console changes anytime soon..... they are likely to adopt the x86 upgrade methods... and keep the system mostly all the same.... there would have been SIGNIFICANT changes made to validate a completely new console with a completely different design. With everything being developed on x86-64 though, they really don't have a justification, and with a ps4k which theoretically if rumors are true, contains an apu that utilizes the polaris graphics chip with 14nm (but still using the same cpu design just on a smaller 14nm architecture), then a 2.5 times the graphical power isn't remotely out of line, specially moving from a GCN 1.1 to 1.4 which should make that 2.5 counter possible (not to mention dropping the power draw dramatically at the same time).

Really... this in the long run is going to save them millions if not billions in moving developers from one platform to another every 5+ years and having to work from the ground up every time, they no longer need to... all the hardware is in the developers hands with no RISC system limitation or restriction to design for that restrict any potential for improvement or replacement requiring a complete redevelopement.

4. Trusteft

If they do this they will just kill themselves. ZERO reason for anyone to go to console over PC.
    I doubt they are that stupid.

5. Judas

why do you figure that... one of the most expensive things they can do is dump crazy developement costs into completely rebuilding from the ground up.... it's the games and PSN system that drives their sales the most.... if they can eliminate most of the costs by simply keeping the console up to date with new hardware without alienating the previous customers by making games universally supported across all the upgraded version from vanilla to whatever, it's win win for them... and for the consumer in a manner since they don't have to worry about their any of thier ps4 games... or even games that are now backward compatible or moved onto the ps4 from older generation... no longer being compliant because of a "new ps5"...

6. Trusteft

Just give it time. You are thinking like a PC gamer that's why you don't see the problem.

7. Judas

You're going to have to explain... because since the days of consoles... the one thing i had ALWAYS thought was terrible about them was the fact that they were stagnant.... now they don't need to be.... RISC ...being consoles... vs CISC.... being modern computers.... now consoles are CISC as well.... countless problems are now resolved... and you think this is a terrible thing somehow...

I personally have never been a fan of the fact that consoles with identical aging hardware typically kept it's pricetag relatively the same, years down the road... for a RISC system... obsolete... why? No hope in hell of improvements and once a new one arrives, well fuck, what about all my older games, specially if the console dies... this is no longer a serious concerns at all.

As i asked before.... how do you honestly figure? Can you actually explain anything?

8. Trusteft

I will give you time to think about what you just said.

9. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Fine by me! Console generations is going on for to long time, for one hardware config. This way people who wants a faster PS4 can pay for it (like me), but those who don't need it, but still want to play the games of this generation can keep the original PS4 or buy one, at a lower price.

10. Judas

like i said... it's a win win..... Sony won't have to pay fabs to continue pumping out old generation tech at a premimum..... we get cheaper more powerful consoles in the end....... the 2nd hand market continues to grow.... those whom would have never had the console in the first place end up picking up first rev editions of the consoles that are still entirely fully capable of playing the latest games without feeling alienated... and those whom can afford the fastest pay the premium regardless.

Calliers likes this.
  11. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

I have to agree with Judas on this. Well said Judas. You seldom condense everything you want to say into such a few words but these words were powerful and touched my soul.