Sony Responds To PS3 Hacks

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by comp_ali, Jan 6, 2011.

1. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Sony has at last broken silence on recent developments which have seen its PlayStation 3's security measures completely defeated.
    The firm has remained resolutely tight-lipped since news broke that a hacking group named fail0verflow had gained full control over the system, after reverse engineering the code used to sign authorised software as genuine.
    Shortly afterwards iPhone hacker George “GeoHot” Hotz published the console’s “root key” online, enabling homebrew developers to create and sign their own apps. Blu-Ray and PSP root keys have also since been found buried within the PS3 and released online.
    ________
    source: Next-gen

2. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

well thats just bullshit did they think for one second that doing what they did would not be used by pirates

"ohhhh look we broke the base code oohh look we are putting it online for all to see how clever we are .... we dont pirate things though .. and we are so naive we don't think for one second that other people will use what we tell them to do that "

How could they in any way shape or form think for one second that what they did would not encourage piracy .... by doing what they did they are helping the pirates they have probably done more to help them than any other people out there

total contradiction

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

What annoys me is how they say they did this for achieving previous capability of running linux on the PS3. Like it is their God given right to be able to run linux on a PS3.

This whole thing is just a matter of "you won't play with me? Fine, then I will take your ball and see how you play at all!".
    Revenge and nothing but revenge on their behalf. They want to punish Sony. Not because they care about games or piracy, I believe that, but that they know this is what is going to happen next and this is going to hurt Sony.

They make me sick.

4. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

I'm not happy about the hack, because it leads to piracy, but Sony really had this coming. You don't advertise with Linux as a feature and then remove it in a firmware update. What if they decide removing DVD support, because they will only support Blu-ray, how will you feel about that? You don't remove features, specially not with a bullshit reason.

If they hadn't removed Linux support, the fail0verflow guys would never had started to look into it. And even though other had some small hacks running on it, the work that fail0verflow has done, has been the fatal blow.

Also fail0verflow has always been strongly against piracy, they avoid working directly on stuff, which leads to easy piracy. They off course know that opening up a console for homebrew support, will lead to piracy, by the work of others, but that's hard to avoid, they even mention it in their speeches.

GeoHot is a deuce though.

As said, I'm not happy about the hack, but not surprised to see it and frankly I can't see how Sony can shutdown this hole, unless they have some hidden hardware in the PS3, which is able to completely rewrite the bootloaders, which is doubtful.

But sadly this means Sony are going to spend a lot of time and work on patching up the system, in stead of working on new features.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i'm quite happy about the results..

franly i don't care if they were for or against piracy..

but it's nice to see that the people have a strong arm over large corporations in being able to fully take advantage of a product to every conceiveable way.

While it'll spur the bad.. it'll also allow for just as much good too.... progress

6. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

I am happy for one thing because I don't like seeing larger corporation dictating over customer rights especially after purchase , I don't care if you linux is useless but just to remove something from my purchased device is a dirty move.
    So in short , Suck it Sony and every corporation that don't give a damn about their customers.Btw, the fw updates from now on will be just to fix security holes and stuff with a little or maybe nada new features or addition to customer experience.

7. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Sony Speaks on PS3 hack

Just linking to the GH front page... ignore.

8. Trusteft

If because of these crackers the next generation of consoles demand internet connection or worse as DRM, I won't spend a day without cursing them. You want Linux, buy a damn PC, or if they are as most of the Linux users that I have met in real life, scavenge spare parts, it's going to be cheaper and it won't hurt the rest of us.

9. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Lol at the comment on Linux users you've met.

I only know one guy who uses Linux as his main operating system, and he has a more expensive PC than anyone else I know in real life. I use Vista, and my PCs are closer to being at the scavenged parts level :p

Now I should stress that I don't own a games console, but to the best of my understanding, people weren't putting Linux on PS3s because they wanted Linux. They were doing it because they wanted features that the standard PS3 did not offer, and because they wanted one machine to perform multiple jobs, which the PS3 has the potential to be capable of. Or, of course, they were doing it because they didn't feel that it's right to have to pay to play games, but that's a political discussion.

10. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

People who bought the hardware should be able to choose what software they want to run on it, taking into account the capabilities of the hardware, of course. What would be next? Buying a Windows PC and being forbidden to run Linux or any unapproved software on it?

I think that, if we take the ballpark parallel, it's the other way around. Sony is the one telling people how they can "play" and if they don't obey, Sony takes away the "ball" the console owner payed for by restricting access to PSN or new games unless new, more restrictive firmware, which makes sure everyone plays like Sony wants, is loaded.

Bottom line:
    People bought hardware => people have the right to do what they want with it (and if this weren't so Sony would have happily already taken taken legal measures).
    Sony tries to impose their will => people find workarounds.

11. Trusteft

There is no such thing as Windows PC. Huge difference.
    Crackers think that its their "rights" that get the shaft, but they don't care at all for anyone else rights.

It's like breaking the door down of a house where there is something they claim it is theirs and then leave the house open for anyone to do whatever they want and claim it is not their fault burglars empty the place.
    Companies and the thousands and thousands of people who earn their leaving from them have rights too and as far as I am concerned, far more important than what some people want to run on their gaming console for fun.

12. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

In the physical realm, if someone holds something of yours in their house and all other options are out, the police will come and kick the door down for you. And, like I said, if this weren't legal, we would have seen a lawsuit from Sony on the very first day.

And yes, game developers have rights as well and the polices around the world are actively protecting them, as it should be. After all, we consider the practice of leaving that sort of work to law enforcement instead of taking the matters into one's own hands an achievement of civilized humanity.

13. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

If anything, I'd say this well sell more PS3s. There is the possibility that it'll result in the sale of fewer games, but I think it's actually quite uncommon for people to pirate and never purchase a game that they would otherwise have purchased.

Normally people pirate a game before or after purchasing, or because they think that it's not worth the store price.

14. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

As a general rule - If it's electronic, Someone will start messing with it eventually.
    Sooner or later a lot of money's going to be turned over in court but i can't honestly see it doing anything to fix this. This is an example of sheer homebrew fanatacism which Sony could have easily implemented officially, However, Like i say, it's fanatacism, a group of fans taking things WAY too far.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  15. Trusteft

The thing is, in the example I gave, the thing that the company has in the house, was never owned by the customer. They had every right to take it back.
    The crackers/customer had no right to cause the damage they are causing.
    Only in their mind.

16. Just Learnin'

Just Learnin' New Member

Thing is the PS3 was originally sold/advertised with Linux support as a feature, something that they later decided arbitrarily to take away in a firmware revision.

PlayStation 3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

17. Trusteft

Yeah I know, but unless there was nothing written anywhere about how Sony can remove it or other features at will, they are still technically right.

18. Erroneus

So if the person who sold you your house, one day shows up and removes your dish washer sold with the house, because he all of suddenly believes it's bad for the environment, it's oki with you?

I understand where you are going and I agree these hacks are hurtful for the PS3 devs and Sony them self. But Sony crossed the line with the removal of an advertised feature.

19. Trusteft

If the dishwasher was his to begin with and there was a contract saying that he can take it back any time, then yes it is ok with me.
    Sony's mistake was to give anything to this community. If they had made it so that you couldn't run Linux at all from day 1, it would have solved so many things.

20. Erroneus

Are you kidding me. If they made it, so it couldn't run linux from day 1, it would have been hacked many years ago, without any doubt.

People like Geohot and groups like fail0verflow did not show any interest in the PS3, before Sony removed linux support. After Sony removed linux support, the PS3 was hacked within under 12 months, LIKE EVERY OTHER CONSOLE ON THIS PLANET.

Adding Linux support from the start, was the best move Sony has ever done and what keep it so secure for such a long time. You can hate these "hackers" who wants to run linux on everything as much as you want, but it doesn't change that they will hack a device, so it can run linux. These hacks leads to Piracy, so it has been on the 360, the original xbox, the wii, the playstation , properly a lot more consoles and now the PS3. Adding support for Linux from day one, was a brilliant move by Sony, as it meant brilliant minds like Geohot and fail0verflow did not had any interest in it.

They totally destroyed that, by removing Linux support. The slim model without linux support, wasn't a fatal decision, but creating a firmware update, which removes linux from older system, was a dumbass move. It lead to Geohot poking around, trying to restore Linux support. This lead to Jailbreak (Piracy), which Sony closed down and the possbility to restore linux support, in a firmware update. This lead to fail0verflow really putting some work in to it and now the console is wide open (piracy+homebrew)

And i qoute from fail0verflow "So by breaking 20% off the security in the PS3, you are able to run piracy, which is 100% what Sony doesn't want you to do".

I still hope that Sony will issue som PSN bans, for those who go online with a hacked PS3, but frankly the damage has been done and Sony really can't fix this problem, other then in new hardware revisions.

Ignoring the fact, that people will run Linux on everything, does not make the problem go away. Realizing the fact, that people will run Linux on everything, gives you an option to deal with this problem and avoid piracy.