soundblaster --> AC3 over ONE s/p-dif?

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by DJ_ViRuS, Aug 9, 2003.

1. xxhiyanxx

xxhiyanxx New Member

ok... i'm not much more knowledgeable then the average consumer that has done his homework. this is the setup i have. a SB live 5.1 (chip SB0220) connected to a DTT2500 speaker system. i am using powerDVD. i am using the Digital out from the SB card over the y connector that uses the co axial cable and the 9-pin proprietary cable. i have both of these cables connected to the DTT2500 because i wasn't sure if it was an either/or situation. what i'm gathering from this forum is that i CANNOT decode AC-3 on my DVD's with this video card? creative's drivers are no help, they won't even find the card so i decided to try the KX drivers. i get a 2 channel sound, basically no voices... on the DVD"s i'm using. the whole reason i bought this card was because it was supposed to be 5.1...

2. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

it is 5.1 and there is software decoding of AC-3, but no passthrough yet(for exxternal decoders)… you need a software decoder tho

3. xxhiyanxx

xxhiyanxx New Member

ok... so if i had a dolby reciever that took a 5.1 input i'd be ok for sound... but because i'm relying on the reciever itself to decode i cannot get it because the card does not send the digital signal out of the SPDIF port? that seems kinda useless but on well..

4. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

what im saying is that if you hd a dolby decoder it wouldn't work
    you need a software AC-3 decoder to use the 9pin DIN connector from the 4pole 3.5 jack (orange) on the sb live 5.1

5. JasonMoodie

JasonMoodie New Member

I had issues with my creative driver.
    I’m using a SBlive 5.1 card (SB0100). I’m also using a Sony DTS/Dolby Digital 5.1 decoder that is built in to my AMP.
    I’m running a coaxial cable I made. This cable is running from the digital out on the sound card to the Coaxial in on the AMP. I used a mono jack to an RCA.

I was told that the only way I would be able to get the 5.1 sound to work from my DVD's was if I used the Creative drivers. So I installed them. With the creative drivers all I had to do was turn the Digital output only on and the AC3 decode off. These were obvious settings within the Creative Mixer.

The 5.1 sound worked. It sent the DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1 code to the AMP and the AMP decoded the signal and gave excellent 5.1. The only problem I had was it would sometimes blue screen on boot.

So I upgraded the drivers to the latest Creative drivers. This stopped the Blue Screen problem but introduced another problem. Now when you play a DVD the DVD plays at about double speed in random sections of the DVD. There was no sound when it played at double speed. Very odd. And yes I did try different players. Some of them produced the same result while others skipped.

I tried the kX Project drivers, very, very, kewl. I like them a lot, but it would not let me turn the AC3 decoder off therefore I was only getting a stereo signal sent to the AMP. The AC3 encoder appeared to be sending the rear channels to another SPDIF port.

I was about to give up and buy another sound card then I though lets start again from the beginning.

I uninstalled the kX driver and removed any evidence of the creative drivers.

After a reboot Windows XP installed its own Microsoft driver. After that I went in to the sound properties and set digital out only. I then played my DVD, It worked perfect in 5.1 via the Digital Port on the card. I went to all that trouble with drivers and found that the default MS driver that came with WinXP worked perfectly.

Oh well it all works now, Just though Id share my experience with you all as it may help?

6. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

currently AC-3 passthrough (which is what you want) does not work with 10k1 cards (sb live etc)

7. JasonMoodie

JasonMoodie New Member

I presume you mean that it doesn’t currently work with the kX drivers. The card obviously is capable as it is working on my system using the plain old WinXP driver.

8. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

yes that is what i meant… when 3538 is out it may be working… but for now if you can it is best to directly connect your DVD drive to the speakers

9. wimms

wimms New Member

What? AC3 passthrough is not there??? omg.. I've been banging this thing for 3 weeks straight, and only now see that 10k1 has no KX support for ac3... damn

When will 3538 get ready? Is it in beta? Why is this issue neglected for so long? Its so major problem for 10k1 users.

Btw, can anyone explain what does ac3 passthrough actually do or need? I imagined that it only needs bit perfect copy of application data into spdif port. Can't this be achieved by dsp routing?

10. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

there IS an AC-3 DSP plugin, but im not sure how well it works - as for a major problem - not really - considering the main aim for this project, ASIO and music stuff… and as soon as the beta 3538 is ready it will be posted here

11. OpusP.Gladiator

OpusP.Gladiator '42'

hit the nail on the head!

Yep....like I said over in the audigy drivers forum... been waiting for some way to see this enabled...!!!!

anyone?????????????

12. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

it is possible to bypas the card, connect the ac3 source directly to the amplifier (requires soldering an RCA connector)

13. wimms

wimms New Member

Well, I might be too new to Kx, but imo it won't. I'm not sure how to configure dsp right though.

This argument raises quite some amusement with me, considering that authors have gone to such trouble as to write AC3 decoder. More like authors don't happen to own ac3 amp and thus can't care less.
    I'd really hate to have to go back to creative drivers just to occasionally watch 5.1 dvds from my pc. So, you see, 10k1 users have a dilemma: either benefits of Kx, or ability to use ac3 amp, but not both. Major problem is mere existence of such needless dilemma. Hopefully not for long.

14. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

there is a workaround, though, bypassing the card entirely… requires a little electrical skill

15. JasonMoodie

JasonMoodie New Member

Ewwwwww, If you only need the AC3 Decoder Bypass use the MS Driver. Has been working well for sometime for me now. If you have to go modifying the card, you may as well go and buy a new one.

16. wimms

wimms New Member

I have skill, but I don't get you at all. Can you elaborate? What is the ac3 source you mean?

17. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

DVD player is the AC-3 source
    you use the cable from the digital port, connect that to an RCA socket - signal line (red) goes to the center of the socket, and the ground (black) goes to the sheild of the socket
    and if your amp is optical only, attach a super bright red LED and place that straight in the optical port of the amp

18. wimms

wimms New Member

Oh, thats what you mean. Yes, that might work for DVDs, but not for ac3 file sources.

19. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

good point there… unless you have an nfroce 2 system with soundstorm…

20. tji

tji New Member

I'm a newbie to the kX driver.. I have a SB Live card, and I'm looking for more reliable AC3 pass through for my HDTV tuner cards and DVDs. I have used the Creative drivers to do this, but I get audio dropouts when using SPDIF pass through from my "MyHD" receiver card.

Is there any way to do this with the kX drivers? If not, is this on the roadmap?