Steam problems?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Liqourice, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Has anyone else experienced problems with steam?

When I'm logged in I get some strange things. Clicking on my handle on the upper right and choosing "My account" I get someone elses handle and information as well as a "install steam" icon instead of the "Go to cart" that I should get. It's freaking me out. Also, doing some things makes me end up in pages with russian, german or french. I can't seem to get this fixed. All this seems to have happened after I tried to stream games to my HTPC. Before that I had no problems at all.

Gonna contact stream support but I doubt I'll get much help today, that's why I'm asking here as well.

2. Liqourice

It seems that there's something majorly wrong with steam since I can't even login there now. Not getting any contact with the account server at all it seems and when I try to reach through the web I get different languages every time.

3. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

It's been working mostly fine for me - sometimes a little slow but I put it down to them being busy over the holiday. I guess one of the 'hacker' squads might have a DDoS against them.

4. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

I just tried out using my account and it works fine. A little slow like Jac said but everything seems to be in working order.

5. Liqourice

Well, I was about to pay for two games on the holiday sale. I won't do that as long as this crap is going on. Luckily I don't have any card information stored in steam, haven't updated after my old card expired.

6. Liqourice

I can't do a thing. Just barely logged in but I can't get to the cart at all.

7. Calliers

Same with me, I haven't got any credit card info on there after my old one expired just recently.

8. Liqourice

If you try to access steampowered.com through the normal web, do you get there and do you get english or some other language?

9. Calliers

Nope can't get to steampowered.com, I get an "error". Can't stay though, gotta dash to a Christmas party, be back later tonight.

10. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Yeah, while I can loggin the steam app, no way to check the store now. Earlier it would sign me in as a different user...
    This looks like fun...

11. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

The store comes up black, but everything else works fine.

12. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

Seems like a caching problem on steam server side.
    Read more here
    Noting major though; even though you can see someone elses steam wallet, any purchases made on that will go to the real owner’s account, not the person viewing/purchasing, and then surely they/Valve can simply revoke the purchase once all this has blown over. Person A still can’t use the money of person B to add anything to A’s library.

13. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

I'm curious how many users info were cached and visible from other users? While you couldn't change anything, you could access personal information like address, name, phone number, email and so on. Now is the time to use steamguard mobile and be wary, as this has the potential to be a very big data leak.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  14. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

I'm sure anyone with nefarious intentions and feeding off the data was having a heyday with this one! Screenshot....screenshot...screenshot....

15. Liqourice

I'll be changing just about everything as soon as it's possible. Last night I wasn't able to do anything at all with my own account.

16. Liqourice

This is weird, now I can't get into the Steam app on my phone. Installed that yesterday, uninstalled it this morning and then installed it again now and I only get an error message.

17. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

If you hadn't logged in while this was happening, you're page wasn't cached so chances are nobody saw you info..

18. Liqourice

I was logged in during this mayhem, that's how I noticed something was wrong. I've changed password and so though. Seems the problems have been going on all day though, at least when it comes to logging in and so since I couldn't on my phone for quite a while. Now that works though.

19. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

FWIW, last night, after reading about the problems posted above, I logged in, was able to access my games and played a nice session of Skyrim for awhile. Skyrim looks fabulous on this 49 in 4K screen, BTW. :)