Suggestions for a Monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Jac, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I'm in the market for a new monitor.

I was planning on going from my 1080p 23" to a 1440p 27". However that combination seems to be being phased out. Instead I am looking at 30 - 32" monitors with 4K resolution. With a view to running with scaling in Windows 10 at about 125 - 150%.

Other than the things that are important to me are a good minimal design in black. Good contrast ratios so I am looking at VA panels pretty much exclusively. I know VAs aren't the best at GtG but some are better than others - anyone have experience of games on a VA?

2. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Well if you're going for a 4K monitor, remember that practically all of them right now that are affordable are 60 frames per second capped. The ones that are higher FPS/refresh rate are still quite expensive which is why I opted for a high refresh rate 1440p monitor when I got mine. (the ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR Black 27" which can reach 165Hz)

3. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Not too worried about higher than 60hz refresh. I have never gamed at more than 60 anyhow, I'm more about visuals than frame rates so with recent titles I'm lucky to hold 60 as it is. I want something that can be gamed on but not looking for a gaming monitor specifically.

I hope to build a new system in the future - one dedicated to gaming and media. For that I am after a 21:9 but I am waiting for the tech to mature. Ideally for that I want proper HDR, high refresh, ideally GSync - perhaps microLED.

IvanV likes this.
  4. Calliers

The BenQ EX3501R is the most affordable 4K monitor I think right now which is HDR capable as well as has a refresh rate of 100Hz which for a UHD monitor is pretty decent. It retails for $739 US on Amazon. It's also widescreen, and 35 inches across, while being 21:9, so it checks all the boxes for you, and then some.

If it was available when I picked my parts I would have certainly bought one of these.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

1440p 75hz are still quite common, however within the next coming month which is quite common for new displays both in the pc market and hdtv markets, during the march/april zone.

There are quite a jump being made with the new microLED (samsung) and LG's nanotech is providing 4k displays at 100-144hz without much difficulty and more cost effectively, which is also providing 1440p displays in both 16:9 and 21:9 at a far better cost and performance ratio.

I'm inclined to recommend 27" 1440p displays, specially the Acer Freesync models, While you may not be targeting high frame rates, which neither am i, i'm pretty happy with 60+ fps ideally, but i can very much appreciate frame rates well above 60fps and having a display capable of delivering greater than 60fps is something i really have no desire of losing ever if i can help it.

Samsung has currently some 4k displays that support 120hz input AT 1080p and 1440p i belive, 4k is still not fully supported due to the older standard implemented, this will change in the next month as i stated... these are technically tvs however, but they do support freesync and work impressively well. The Samsung NU8000 series displays are basically your entry level 4k high refresh rate and adaptable display, but trying to find them under 55" is next to impossible and probably well outside your budget.

6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

If you split the requirements into 3 groups, be that gaming, work, both gaming and work, would you guys recommend an IPS monitor, or TN panel?

IMO, given that Jac has a GTX 970 I would recommend either going with an IPS panel that has G-Sync (or a FreeSync panel that is supported by Nvidia), at least something from THIS list, or an IPS panel that has a high refresh rate (100Hz+). However, if cost was an issue, TN would be a cheaper solution (although personally I'd still go with something that has G-Sync).

Edit:
    Personal choices (as I've been searching for one myself):

HP OMEN 27" QHD (TN)
    Acer Predator XB271HU Abmiprz 27" (TN)

Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27" (IPS)
    ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q 27" (IPS)

All are 2560x1440 though, and have G-Sync.

Edit 2: missed the 4K requirement. Sorry about that.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  7. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I am not looking for one so I don't follow any product, but I got one a few years ago which is a great monitor with great color reproduction etc.
    Three things. First, it is not a 30-32 inch monitor, it's a 40 inch monitor.
    Second, it doesn't have HDR that you want and it is out of production.
    Third, some people have issues with W10.
    BUT perhaps a newer model will do for you.
    It has 5 video inputs, great looks, etc.

Philips BDM4065UC Black 4K Ultra HD
    [​IMG]

https://www.philips.com.au/c-p/BDM4065UC_75/brilliance-led-backlit-lcd-display

A quick look around and found this 32 inch at their site.

https://www.philips.com.au/c-p/328P6VUBREB_75/brilliance-lcd-monitor-with-usb-c-dock/overview

8. Calliers

One thing you should keep in mind is that a good or great 1440p monitor always trumps a sub par or low quality 4K monitor.

9. sadder

sadder New Member

For gaming I suggest you to buy 1440p higher refresh rate monitor. To be honest, I had a similar opinion but when I used 144hz panel, I knew I had to get one for myself.

10. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Currently looking at the LG 32UK550

[​IMG]

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32UK550-B

The design is pretty minimal and all black. VA, wide gamut and some level of HDR support. If I can find one that is, seem to be pretty hard to get hold of. If I can get one in a sale for under £500 all the better.

11. Calliers

That looks like a nice monitor, but isn't it a bit pricey?

12. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

It's supposed to be circa £500, or rather 500 Euros but I asked LG support and they told me it was not available in the UK market. They suggested the 32UL750. Similar spec but with a silver stand and HDR 600 certification. I haven't seen that on sale anywhere either. Neither have I seen a price for it, £500 is pretty much my limit.

13. Trusteft

Have you checked Philips?

14. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Looked at the 326M6VJRMB/01, don't like the design and I cannot find that one on sale anywhere either. At this point I am thinking about just going with a BenQ EW3270U - not a massive fan of that design either but spec looks decent as does price and I have seen some good reviews for it on Youtube.

15. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Such an ugly stand. No swivel (no biggy) or height adjust if I recall either.

16. Trusteft

That BenQ has a very 2005 Samsung design.

17. Calliers

The BenQ EW3270U has good reviews, although it's bare bones, it makes up for this in the price. It's like probably as low as you can get with that size, HDR and Freesync at 4K.

Right now the 4K HDR monitor market is kinda pay for what you get, or rather, expensive as hell.

18. Trusteft

While again I wouldn't pick it for myself, if you like it go for it.
    I just watched this review and...not bad.

19. Trusteft

You know, I was thinking. If you plan on getting the new PS5 next year, it is going to support some newer standards. Perhaps waiting till next year or at least till the details of it all come out, before you buy a new monitor.
    I was thinking of buying a new 4K HDR TV/monitor some time this summer, but now I am going to wait. With PS5 supporting 8K too..

Calliers likes this.
  20. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I have absolutely no intention of buying a PS5, or any console.... ever :eek:

I did go to PC World website and go through the steps to order a BenQ, got right to the end of the checkout and hovered over confirm but my buyer's guilt kicked in and I didn't do it. For one it wouldn't have arrived in time for the bank holiday weekend so I figured I could hold out a bit longer. I'd prefer to get that LG, maybe something better will come along in the meantime.

I reckon the LG and the BenQ would be functionally identical. in spite of the fact that the LG is HDR 600 compatible. Though neither of them are really HDR and I don't know how the LG has managed to get 600 certification, maybe that's why it has been delayed. I am still using a LG W2361W which I have had for 10 years. A TN 1080 23" so a VA panel would be a decent improvement and supporting some level of HDR should still be an improvement.

MicroLED is the future ;)

Calliers and Trusteft like this.