Suggestions for a Monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Jac, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I'm in the market for a new monitor.

I was planning on going from my 1080p 23" to a 1440p 27". However that combination seems to be being phased out. Instead I am looking at 30 - 32" monitors with 4K resolution. With a view to running with scaling in Windows 10 at about 125 - 150%.

Other than the things that are important to me are a good minimal design in black. Good contrast ratios so I am looking at VA panels pretty much exclusively. I know VAs aren't the best at GtG but some are better than others - anyone have experience of games on a VA?

2. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Well if you're going for a 4K monitor, remember that practically all of them right now that are affordable are 60 frames per second capped. The ones that are higher FPS/refresh rate are still quite expensive which is why I opted for a high refresh rate 1440p monitor when I got mine. (the ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR Black 27" which can reach 165Hz)

3. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Not too worried about higher than 60hz refresh. I have never gamed at more than 60 anyhow, I'm more about visuals than frame rates so with recent titles I'm lucky to hold 60 as it is. I want something that can be gamed on but not looking for a gaming monitor specifically.

I hope to build a new system in the future - one dedicated to gaming and media. For that I am after a 21:9 but I am waiting for the tech to mature. Ideally for that I want proper HDR, high refresh, ideally GSync - perhaps microLED.

4. Calliers

The BenQ EX3501R is the most affordable 4K monitor I think right now which is HDR capable as well as has a refresh rate of 100Hz which for a UHD monitor is pretty decent. It retails for $739 US on Amazon. It's also widescreen, and 35 inches across, while being 21:9, so it checks all the boxes for you, and then some.

If it was available when I picked my parts I would have certainly bought one of these.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

1440p 75hz are still quite common, however within the next coming month which is quite common for new displays both in the pc market and hdtv markets, during the march/april zone.

There are quite a jump being made with the new microLED (samsung) and LG's nanotech is providing 4k displays at 100-144hz without much difficulty and more cost effectively, which is also providing 1440p displays in both 16:9 and 21:9 at a far better cost and performance ratio.

I'm inclined to recommend 27" 1440p displays, specially the Acer Freesync models, While you may not be targeting high frame rates, which neither am i, i'm pretty happy with 60+ fps ideally, but i can very much appreciate frame rates well above 60fps and having a display capable of delivering greater than 60fps is something i really have no desire of losing ever if i can help it.

Samsung has currently some 4k displays that support 120hz input AT 1080p and 1440p i belive, 4k is still not fully supported due to the older standard implemented, this will change in the next month as i stated... these are technically tvs however, but they do support freesync and work impressively well. The Samsung NU8000 series displays are basically your entry level 4k high refresh rate and adaptable display, but trying to find them under 55" is next to impossible and probably well outside your budget.

6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

If you split the requirements into 3 groups, be that gaming, work, both gaming and work, would you guys recommend an IPS monitor, or TN panel?

IMO, given that Jac has a GTX 970 I would recommend either going with an IPS panel that has G-Sync (or a FreeSync panel that is supported by Nvidia), at least something from THIS list, or an IPS panel that has a high refresh rate (100Hz+). However, if cost was an issue, TN would be a cheaper solution (although personally I'd still go with something that has G-Sync).

Edit:
    Personal choices (as I've been searching for one myself):

HP OMEN 27" QHD (TN)
    Acer Predator XB271HU Abmiprz 27" (TN)

Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27" (IPS)
    ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q 27" (IPS)

All are 2560x1440 though, and have G-Sync.

Edit 2: missed the 4K requirement. Sorry about that.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  7. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I am not looking for one so I don't follow any product, but I got one a few years ago which is a great monitor with great color reproduction etc.
    Three things. First, it is not a 30-32 inch monitor, it's a 40 inch monitor.
    Second, it doesn't have HDR that you want and it is out of production.
    Third, some people have issues with W10.
    BUT perhaps a newer model will do for you.
    It has 5 video inputs, great looks, etc.

Philips BDM4065UC Black 4K Ultra HD
    [​IMG]

https://www.philips.com.au/c-p/BDM4065UC_75/brilliance-led-backlit-lcd-display

A quick look around and found this 32 inch at their site.

https://www.philips.com.au/c-p/328P6VUBREB_75/brilliance-lcd-monitor-with-usb-c-dock/overview

8. Calliers

One thing you should keep in mind is that a good or great 1440p monitor always trumps a sub par or low quality 4K monitor.