Suggestions for a Monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Jac, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I managed to find an LG 32UK550 afterall. All black, minimal design, UHD and HDR10 support (though not anywhere near a proper HDR display)

LG.jpg

Got it setup and place on my desk and first impression is - fek this thing is massive. Working and browsing on it is going to take a bit of getting used to. Like I'd normally have two windows opened and snapped to each side but now they feel like they're too far away from me. I'm using 150% scaling to make things big enough to see, so I have more space and the image is that bit more crisp. I have the thing pushed right back as far as it can go on my desk, I wouldn't want to sit any closer to it that I do now.

Movies look real good on it. I have a 4K HDR version of Bumblebee to watch - that looks very crisp and colorful. I look forward to the day when proper HDR monitors are available to the general consumer.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

There's this weird little thing that occurs with 4k displays even at 28 inches.... 150% scaling is usually applied automatically.... but most people specially on a 28 inch will have a knee jerk reaction that they "cannot read or see anything" as it's too small.. but if you simply actually look, you can in fact read and see quite clearly without straining usually. My sister for example had this reaction and i know i did too, but if you set it to 100%, and use it for a good period, you'll find that it's all still VERY clear and readable, we're just not used to being able to see such things as "small" as they are with any clarity, it's usually far too pixelated or blurry.

The other problem with scaling however is that there are numerous programs and even games that flatout break or get weird when scaling isn't 100%.

Trusteft likes this.
  3. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

My eyes are certainly not good enough to run the display at 100% Even at 150% some things are tough to see, especially 1st thing in the morning o_O

I have come up against another issue that I never considered. That is the fact that even at the desktop my GPU is at 25% power draw. Compared to about 10% at 1080p. That means that at 1080p the GTX 970 will run with the fans off and stay around 40 degrees, At 4K the temps slowly climb until they reach 60 degrees at which point the fans spin up - not a problem except for an issue with MSI GTX 970 4G cards where the front fan will randomly get stuck during spin up and cause the rear fan to ramp up to 100%. Now the fans are entering spin up constantly so the odds of this problem manifesting are exponentially higher. It can be fixed by putting the system to sleep for a moment or by actually nudging the fan by hand.

It doesn't help that it is 35 fekkin degrees in my room right now, having a bit of continental heat in England at the moment. I am having to run the display at 1080p to keep a lid on temps. I'm wondering how an RTX 2070 series card handles 4K. Are they efficient enough to stay cool when just internet browsing or watching videos?

4. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

If it's anything to go by I use a 1080ti with a 3440x1440 display. When browsing the Internet or viewing YT videos the fans don't spin up at all.
    For case cooling I've got two 140mm fans on the CPU AIO rad on the front of the case pulling air in, two 140s at the top of the case and another at the back, the three of which are on exhaust. All case fans running quiet (around 700rpm) and the CPU is running under 33°C. I typically don't expect to see the GPU fans ramp up unless I'm gaming.

5. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I am running an old case with limited airflow, it's a Coolermaster Mystique which I have had for about a decade but I kinda like the design. I have the CPU cooled by a Coolermaster AIO 120, when I installed it, the fan bundled was a PWM fan and having had a pretty much silent PC for years the noise of the fan ramping up on the AIO cooler did my head in. So I took my Turbine Master fan off the front intake and put that on the AIO radiator and the bundled AIO fan in the front intake. So neither fan is now PWM controlled. Only other fan in the system is the Silent Pro PSU exhaust fan.

So the system is pretty much silent. The CPU averages about 43 - 45 on the hottest core during light loads. GPU stays at about 60 when running the display at 4K with the fan gently spinning up every few seconds. I haven't played any games recently, tend not to be in the mood when the weather is warm but looking ahead to autumn/winter...

Considering putting a Silencio FP 120 PWN on the AIO rad to get temps down and keep noise levels under control. Also considering a MSI Ventus RTX 2070 Super to power the display. It has a dual fan system like my GTX 970 and uses the same Torx 2.0 fans - not sure if that card turns off the fans at lower temps though.

6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I keep saying to British friends of mine get an A/C !! Yes you only need it for 6-8 weeks per year, but that is for every year for the rest of your life!

7. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I'm worst case scenario as the room where I have my PC and bed is an attic room, facing more or less South - mid-summer I get bright sunshine blazing down on the black roof tiles from about 13:00 to 20:00, heat builds up over the course of the day, plus the heat just soaks into the bricks.

Anyhow I figured it was time I upgraded my 970, had it five years and 4K was just too much for it. Was gonna get a MSI Ventus 2070S but discovered that Founders edition cards were the same price. So, easy decision to make - the Nvidia cards are probably the best ones you can get IMO. Industrial design quality, build quality and price.

So the RTX 2070 Super runs Windows desktop at 4k with about 10% power draw of its TDP. Temps are barely above idle. Everything else in the system is running a few degrees cooler as well since the 970 isn't there dumping 60 degree air into the case. I'm not convinced that this was the normal outcome for a 9xx series card running the desktop at 4K.

8. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Are you sure it is the 2070 running the Windows desktop 4K at 10% power? I mean, usually the igpu takes care of that.

9. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

My iGPU does nothing, it's not even activated. Plus if the monitor is plugged into your GPU, your GPU is handling all display duties. Only use I have seen for having both the GPU and iGPU active is for running transcoding software on the iGPU. It's a bit of a shame but generally the graphics processor on a CPU is completely pointless.

10. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Nvidia cards being industrial design and build quality...

ha.... hah..... hahahahaha