Sunglasses

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Calliers, May 20, 2012.

1. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

When you already have a roof over your head, food, and medicine supplied/pay for...what do you use your money for then? Some of us spend our spare bucks on sunglasses.

My Serengeti's were a birthday gift 2-3 years ago, still have them...wrong script now, but still work. I also just have a $10 pair of mirrored Aviators that work for when I use contacts.

I currently have Oakley regular glasses and they might be the best pair of frames I've ever gotten. If I hadn't got the Serengeti's I probably would have gotten a pair of Oakleys, assuming the Aviators weren't cutting it.

2. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Mine look just like Tyronswood I like the John Lennon look :)

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i have a requirement for sunglasses as working in the daytime under specific conditions and driving large equipment, sun visors and such do not do a damn thing, these sunglasses REALLY assist in cuting the glare and such out making it easier to see and drive.

I just really don't want to break them lol. First sunglasses i've ever bought/worn because obviously trying to wear anything else without being able to see is totally counter productive.

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

All the rest of the bills, utilities, phone/Internet, gasoline, insurance, etc.

At that point I wait until next month.

Huh? Sorry, I don't know what those are.

5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Even aside from situation in which one simply does not have what economists like to call disposable income (that being what you like to call "spare bucks"), I do think that there is a strong argument to be made for the moral repugnance of spending $200 on sunglasses.

I understand that sunglasses are worth that kind of money for some (like Judas, or a professional skier, to offer a contrasting example), but when the only reason for which you're spending $200 rather than $2 is to make yourself look (and/or feel, but primarily look) better when wearing sunglasses, it begs the question of whether that money couldn't have done more elsewhere.

Elsewhere might mean leaving it to charity in your will, giving it to charity today, or just saving it up so that you have some contingency for that shock household maintenance bill next month.

(Before we get into the whole "charities are wasteful/corrupt" thing, please don't try to tell me that you are incapable of finding a charity capable of doing more good to some person for $200 than a pair of sunglasses could to a perfectly healthy person for that same price.)

Sorry for the slightly hypocritical rant (why don't I sell expensive computer peripherals that I win online? It's very hard to justify in any sensible selfless way).

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  6. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

@Tyrs: you know what I meant. Everyone indulges somehow, whether it's buying more expensive food/restaurants, televisions, cars, etc.

@blibb: Shut up you hypocrite :p but at a certain point, yes, there is a necessity. A $200 pair will work better than a $2 pair. I'm not sure how overinflated the $200 pricetag is (meaning would a $100 be as good?), but if you need sunglasses, you should pay for quality rather than a $2 pair that will break and need to be replaced in a couple weeks.

7. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Buying a recognised brand is worth it, up to a point.

I remember years and years ago buying a pair of CAT boots. Wore them day in day out for years until the soles came away from the uppers. Went back to the shop to get another pair but they didn't have my size. There were some of the shops 'own brand' boots that looked pretty much the same and were £25 cheaper. Bought them and they were ruined within 6 weeks.

There is a limit though, spending £80 on a pair of Levi's is one thing - spending £500 on a pair of Versace jeans is daft. There you really are just paying to have someone's name written on your ass!

As for glasses I am a fan of Oakley stuff but I do think they are overpriced - if I was to get another pair it would have to be second user from eBay.

8. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

Shoes and boots are absolutely worth spending on (i have a pair that i've had since i was about 15, few new heels, but still going ;) ), sunglasses i'm not so convinced about.
    Up to a point, yes, but some of the real pricey one's are ridiculous
    my aviators cost about 50 quid, that would be my limit really tbh

9. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Regarding shoes I love Nikes. I've got one pair of Nike walking shoes, one pair of Nike jogging shoes, one pair of Nike casual shoes, one pair of Puma casual shoes that I just bought, one pair of Fubu casual shoes, one pair of Reebok trainers, one pair of Carducci dress shoes, one pair of Giorgio Armani dress shoes and one pair of Workload working shoes.

I just called Spare Parts at the mall (Midtown Plaza) and they say they have lots of Oakley Batwolf sunglasses in stock so I'll be heading down there to try them out and see if I like them.

10. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

Im actually supposed to wear Glases,But i hardly do so as i disagree with the opticions advice.... Never had any issue what so ever...

Im sorry to say i never see the point of Sunglasses,Either in the uk or when i choose to go abroad for a holiday... A good fitting Baseball Hat does me...

I just dont go for the looks of somebody in "Hey don't my Raybands look Good" kind of look...

Everyone to there own style is ok... Just not for me.

11. A Desire to Game

A Desire to Game HardwareHeaven Hoosier

I'm in the market for a set of Oakley's. I always buy cheapies and they always fall apart (literally, my last pair just fell apart while wearing them).

Judging from your pics, I'm guessing you like Oakley's Callandor? You should check out the Oakley Vault for discounted "real" Oakley's. Normally the prices are pretty reasonable since the glasses are generally discontinued. They get different pairs all the time.

12. Calliers

Thanks Desire, will have a look at the Oakley Vault.

13. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

And some people wonder why they are popetually in debt or somehow associated with those in debt without even realizing it.

Our entire life in north america at least, we are bombarded and coaxed into spending every buck we make, Saving is for "idiots" is the going thing. And if they can make it happen, they would rather have it you never build up any savings to go as far as to start charging your savings accounts that you stick you money into at such an extreme that you are losing money through service charges than you would make in interest for them holding/using your money you are "saving".

As stupid as that is, they've actually made it incredibly difficult to stick your money anywhere to collect interest without having to stuff a minimum of $10,000 in one lump shot otherwise you lose money.

I know several people, and i've occasionally been guilty of it too, in which they get a pay cheque, pay there bills and then proceed to spend every last penny without a hestitation. Totally disregarding potential unseen problems that may happen later that minute/day/month resulting in them having to pay a large sum of cash for something they need, but instead are screwed.

Mind your pennies, the dollars will take care of themselves..... As in pay close attention to what your doing with the little bit you have, to ensure that the bigger dollars aren't being spent stupidly allowing them to be spent when they need to be.

Most recent senario, I woman i know had a habit of buying a bunch of cosmetic crap and clothing/shoes/unnecessary things.... things she already had TONS OF..... every time she got her stuff paid for she would spend the rest of unnecessary crap. Which of course is her right to do, but the stupidity of it, is that shortly after spending all this cash consistantly each paycheque, her Vehicle, a NECESSITY, something that is required to do her job, broke down, needed maintence badly, she HAD to fix this thing rigth away or else she'd be totally screwed. She couldn't afford it, and she couldn't walk. She should have learnt her lesson but unfortunately some parents will never learn and will baby feed the bastard through anything.

In the case that parents aren't there to breastfeed this :x she would have either had to choose to lose her job and potentially being stuck without one, or to fix it and scratch for food for the remainder of the month.

I personally have scratched, i've spent an entire month eating peanut butter and jelly out of the jars with no bread... i only had the jam/peanut butter because i had purchased those months earlier.

And i had to conserve that food. The reason being is that i was getting no hours worth mentioning, pretty sad when a months wages didn't pay my half of the rent, i did nothing...... ate very little, and stayed home...

14. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I think it's funny it is assumed that you (me) buy the glasses to look 'cool' or whatever.
    I get a headache real quick in the sun, I don't like the feel of wearing baseball caps. When I buy sunglasses it is primarily to block the glare of the sun out, when walking or driving. The glasses have to sit right on my nose, it has to feel good..
    I don't want some plastic throwaway that have no adjustable nose-rests and scratches its lenses by looking at them.

15. Calliers

Don't get me wrong, I do save, but I do like to spend on things I like too. I don't spend every penny I earn.

16. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

For those on a fixed income, indulgences come far and few between.

I guess I "indulge" when I buy something at the electronics surplus store for this monstrosity of a computerized music studio I'm piecing together that no one is ever likely to see. I don't "need" to do that. I could just sit in a chair instead... Save the $25.00 or $50.00 every other month I "splurge" on used/broken/outdated electronics that keeps me moderately busy. I wouldn't have to stretch the tobacco and coffee so far towards the end of the month... (Tobacco and coffee being another indulgence I allow myself)

But, somehow just sitting in a chair doesn't seem to keep my mind busy.

You are lucky enough in life to not have to deal with, or even see, what it's like for other people in such situations. But please, don't think everybody indulges in something... Many can't because they are just scraping by month to month or even day by day. Hell, I've got it lucky that I own my broken down house, some don't even have a roof over their heads.

Now... back to our regularly scheduled Sunglasses thread.

17. Calliers

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

18. FuNsTeR

FuNsTeR Caledonian and Proud

i don't wear sun glasses ... living in the west coast Scotland ... you don't get much strong sunshine throughout the year here only wind and rain :sigh: most of the year it is like Ragnarök :(

19. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

don't forget either that us hay fever sufferers have to wear sunglasses for most of the year as a physical block for the pollen.
    I'm reliably informed that it makes a real difference (I don't fancy experimenting for myself, I'm just gonna keep wearing them always ;) )

20. FuNsTeR

FuNsTeR Caledonian and Proud

i used to get hayfever started in 1991 and and i haven't suffered from it since 2006 it went as fast as i got it :hmm: ... think it had something to do with rapeseed