Syberia and Syberia 2: How to Gift them?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

I actually own the CDs for both games from years ago when I first played them.

I have a 15-year old granddaughter who is wanting to play them now. However, the CDs I have won't install on current Windows 10 PCs.

So, my question: Can I purchase these games on either Steam OR GOG and then put the files on CD/s for her to install on her system?

FWIW, they are on sale on Steam...and were on sale this past weekend on GOG. As soon as the weekend ended, GOG upped the price to their current regular price.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Well, if a game is on GOG and Steam, I always prefer the GOG version. Always.
    Things like transferring games is as simple as downloading the setup file (regular not client version if there also is a client version), copying the file(s) to a stick/hdd/whatever and just giving the files to the person you want to.
    No DRM makes that possible, as does not needing Steam to be around any more (or have access to it) to be able to install your games.
    GOG also has a gift option when you buy games, so you can do that easily. The other person (email) needs to have or willing to have a GOG account to download the files directly.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  3. Dyre Straits

^^^ Thanks for the confirmation. I really believed it would be as easy as this, but, since GOG upped the price after the weekend, I wanted to make sure it would work for her before I put out the cash for them.

Also, FWIW, I just wasn't anywhere near as impressed with Syberia 3 as I was with the first two in the series. In fact, I never could get past about the first hour or so of trying to play the thing. But, those first two kept me completely involved in the story.

Trusteft likes this.
  4. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Why won't the CDs install on Windows 10?

As for the games themselves, probably my favourite adventure games are Syberia 1 & 2. I used to play a lot of those point and click things in the 90s and 00s. They offered visuals and immersion that you couldn't get in 3D generated worlds. I haven't played one for ages - I think that's down to the fact that the visuals in modern games are so good that you get an even better sense of exploration and immersion.

Haven't bothered with Syberia 3 but I might one day - visuals look quite good. I just get the feeling it's a bit 'worthy' nowadays.

5. Dyre Straits

The original discs are missing a file that eliminates the "Install CD...." file that prevents the game from being playable.

6. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Is it wrong that I am 32 and don't feel bad I don't have kids or the slightest need to have kids? Sorry wrong thread.

7. Trusteft

Are you saying that you can install the game but after that the game asks for the CD to run and it doesn't run even with the CD in place? In this case it sounds like a DRM issue with the CD check. You can usually get over that by getting a NoCD file for the game.

8. Calliers

Anyone remember The Journeyman Project?

9. Dyre Straits

UPDATE:

Yes, to the above question about prompting for the 2nd CD. I did go ahead and purchased a copy from them. And, once it was downloaded, installed and running on my PC, I opted to create a Backup File. This file has a Hotfix that eliminates the prompt for a 2nd CD and even the Install CD1 prompt of the original discs. Not only so, but, on newer Windows OSes, DirectPlay is no longer installed by default. So, this file, once it gets the game installed, a new prompt appears stating that this app needs files in order to play. Selecting to Install DirectPlay produces an auto search for the needed files. Once located, it gets installed and the game is ready to play.

Calliers likes this.
  10. Calliers

Were you ever able to finish it?

11. Dyre Straits

I finished this game twice some years ago. This effort is for my granddaughter who is wanting to play it. :)

12. Calliers

No I mean The Journeyman Project? I got stuck, were you ever able to finish that game? Sorry to derail the thread slightly but I found that game HARD as hell.

13. Dyre Straits

You didn't "slightly derail"....you totally jumped the tracks!

I never got Journeyman Project....which is why I didn't answer the question you asked about it.

14. Calliers

OK lol, that game was super hard, especially for me coz I was just a kid when I got it but I couldn't get too far in lol.

15. Dyre Straits

FWIW, I finished Syberia last night. :) This is, I believe, the 3rd time through this game for me.

Trusteft likes this.
  16. Trusteft

Congratulations.
    I haven't finished the game, I haven't played it in many years. Are there any dead ends that force you to restart or load an old save to do things differently?

17. Dyre Straits

No dead ends that I have ever come across. In many cases, you can activate something in the wrong order but, you cannot proceed until you get the required item completed. Example: You might turn on a water supply wheel, but, you would need to do something else in order to use it.

Trusteft likes this.
  18. Trusteft

Thank you.