Table bed

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Trusteft, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Anyone here use a table as a bed?

2. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Nope, never.

I have slipped in a piece of ply wood back in the day between the base of my bed and my mattress when the base broke but that was only temporary. If you are going to use a table as a bed, then be warned, it will be stiff to sleep on, even if you put a mattress on it. I actually began to enjoy the stiffness of it but then I replaced the base eventually.

Trusteft likes this.
  3. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

No never have, have used the mattress on the floor. And that were only to to make a few repairs to my bed.

Trusteft likes this.
  4. Trusteft

I have slept on cement/very hard surface before (when I was in the navy) and it was fine as long as I had something relatively soft to use as a pillow. 15 or so years ago I used the floor (wood) of my then bedroom as a bed. I placed a thin quilt as a mattress and my regular pillows as pillows. I did that ( I was in the UK at the time) for about six months. BEST sleep ever. I would lie there with my back on the floor and before I know it I would be asleep and then awake, well rested. Where in a proper bed I tend to sleep on the sides, I didn't even feel the need to do once while sleeping on the floor.

Since I will be moving to a new place sooner than later, I was thinking of how to use some of my current furniture. I have a huge table/desk that I use here as a computer desk, but I am thinking of going with two smaller desks in the new place. Going thin or something. This desk is 2 meters long and 1 meter wide. Each of its legs is 14x14 centimeters. The top surface is about 20 cm tall. It's huge. So, instead of selling/giving it away I was considering just turning it into my new bed. I wanted to start sleeping on a hard surface again and by using this table I not only get to sleep like that, but I also gain some storage space bellow the "bed".
    My only concern (after the whole moving this behemoth that is too heavy even for 3-4 people) is the height. Feels a bit too high from the floor.

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

After I don't know how many years, a few weeks ago I managed to fall from a bed. A 160cm wide one. While more or less awake. If you're like me, that possibility is not to be completely discarded.

Calliers likes this.
  6. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Yes this is something I wanted to indicate as well, and point to, if you fall off a table that is high you might hurt yourself. If you've ever fallen off of a bed, then I don't recommend sleeping on a table. Just sleep on the floor again is what I say if you like hard surfaces (some people do prefer hard surfaces). Some Asian people sleep on beds with spikes/nails on them. Apparently it is very good for the back.

IvanV likes this.
  7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

it's a surface... there's no real difference between a functionally solid bed and a solid table, just what you put on top which both can be used provided said table is able to accommodate it.

8. Trusteft

As already mentioned, there is at least one huge difference. The height.

9. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Bed rails. In this case, chairs with high backs. Turn the chairs around so that they are close to the table, and.. instant bed rails. You could situate the table against a wall so that you only need the chairs on the one side.

10. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

Why not sleep UNDER the "bed" and pile the storage stuff on TOP? ;) (Yes, I'm being facetious. :) )

Trusteft likes this.
  11. Trusteft