Targeted ads on Facebook How do they work

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Mr Cairo, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

OK just logged in on Facebook and there is an ad on there for Redbubble ... not to specific you say , well the ad is specifically for a Chuck sticker that I ordered yesterday for my sons laptop

The thing is I don't have a redbuubble account I just logged in and paid through Paypal ... My Paypal and Facebook account have different email addresses

The ad on Facebook is so random yet specific it cant be a coincidence .... how did they manage to tie the 2 together .... it beggars the mind

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Want a cookie ?

3. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

I have been spending months keep clicking "This ADD is Irrelevant to me" then selecting to block future adverts from the same add..

Just for a New Advert to appear within 10 seconds of refreshing.. Been through every option and can't find anything to stop Adds altogether...

Same goes for the People you "May Know" time and time again having to close these options.. Absolutely pissed off with going through theses processes.

4. Mr Cairo

So which cookie did this ... does Redbubble allow access to any other sites to read their cookie and when I log into Say facebook it goes AHA you just visited rebubble and purchased this so im going to show you an advert telling you to buy that thing you just purchased ... or is paypal doing this

This i understand they want to send you adverts that are relevant and will keep hitting you with stuff until you dont delete it, then your feed will fill up with those adverts

I hate it as well :(

5. Trusteft

Whoever is responsible for the ads. It is usually Google, or Yahoo or some other third party.

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

There are very FEW ad companies... MOST of the ads are governed by google's ad-sense or similar.. which even just accidently typing something in somewhere anywhere on the internet not even on google's search... or shit.. being sent a link by someone through a messenger of some sort which you open and it takes you to a single article you've never remotely been to before.. just that ONE time is sufficient for all the ad systems that work in conjunction to spam you with ads "related" to those things regardless of the circumstances.

If you're using facebook.. you are an advertisement within an advertisement.... you're not technically getting out of it, because even if you don't click on anything, anything you might post will causes others to get something if they click on it.... and even if you don't technically click... just viewing new posts by other "friends" can be sufficient enough to "assume" that what your friends like is what you'll likely like too. If it's not that, then it's any and ALL information you've provided which will run the numbers and take a guess at what your age/gender/location or whatever other data it can scrape might apply to you and hit you with an ad).

7. Mr Cairo

Well only a few days after asking this here I am now seeing Hardware heaven ads on Facebook .... its amazing

8. Trusteft

I am surprised you just noticed this behavior. It's nothing new.

9. Mr Cairo

Not a big Facebook user it has caught me by surprise and TBH I have been coming here for years bit this is the first time I have seen adverts for HH on Facebook and I just thought it was quite coincidental.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  10. Trusteft

Oh no no no, Facebook is just the latest addition. This is going on way before Facebook was even stolen as an idea.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  11. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

A bit of background knowledge should help you out here;

In a nutshell every time you log in to Facebook what's called a "Cookie" is stored within your browser, This cookie contains information such as when you logged in, who you are, the ID of the session (so the server can check there's a valid session for you) and so on. The web is largely what's called "Stateless" meaning every time you submit a request to a server you have to tell it who you are, what you want, etc every time (Basically it treats every request as a brand new, unique request from someone it's never seen before). Cookies are basically a method of short cutting the process of reminding the server that "hey it's me i logged in like 5 minutes ago i can read this thing yeah?", Automatically on every request, The alternative is making you log in again every single time you change page which would be a major pain in the chode and nobody would use the site.

Some sites will place what's known as a "Tracking Cookie" into your browser when you visit the site which other sites can then read. This tracking cookie often contains all kinds of information that can be used to build up a picture of you. When you visit Amazon this tracking cookie will be updated to contain a reference of every item you view the page for, Same thing for when you visit ebay and so on.

It's a tad tricky to explain because everyone does it their own way and there's no real "Standard" for how it works, But in a nutshell sites like Facebook will often read tracking cookies given to you by Amazon, Ebay etc and will then go fish out an advertiser from the pool and find a product they're trying to flog you, If they find one they'll display an advert for it because they saw you looked at this thing on Amazon/Ebay/Dildos.com and perhaps shoving it in your face here as well will result in you throwing money at them.

If you're (quite rightly) creeped out after finding this out, I'd recommend privacy badger from EFF;
    https://www.eff.org/privacybadger

Also hey i'm not dead

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  12. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Hi Tom! How are you doing man!!!? :D

13. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

S'all good :) Been doing the whole 8 hours of coding professionally then coming home and continuing to code until oh hey where'd the sun go?

Something else i forgot to mention in my above post and i'm too lazy to hit the edit button is that you can view the cookies different sites have stored in your browser, If you hit CTRL + SHIFT + I in Chrome/Opera (and i think(?) Firefox, on windows, CMD + ALT + I on OS X in Chrome/Opera) and go to the "Application" tab, You'll see a section for cookies on the left hand side, No guarantees you'll be able to read any of the information here but you can see what's storing cookies, where they came from, where they expire and so on.

Censored because Cookie-Jacking is a thing, If someone gets hold of these values they can potentially impersonate you by re-creating the cookie in their own browser and saying "Hey yeah i'm totally that other dude, Oh gosh darnit i forgot all my confidential info that i totally keep on this website could you let me in to check it.

In this instance PHPSESSID is the cookie that XenForo plopped into my Browser so it can check i am actually in fact logged in, It can then run off and find the session with an ID that matches the one in the cookie, Where it'll (probably, i don't have the XF source code in front of me so i'm speculating) probably then do some de-coding, Grab the user ID out of the cookie, Go find that user in the database, Then it'll go check that user's roles and permissions, See if they have permission to post/read/edit/delete/etc, If they do it'll complete the action. Otherwise it'll tell you to GTFO and boot you back to the log in page.

Something i do quite frequently when i'm building an application is take the PHPSESSID cookie from the browser (Remember i talked about Cookie Jacking above? this is basically doing that, but in a controlled way), Throw it into something like Postman (basically a developer tool for making raw requests to a server) so i can then make requests from an application that isn't the browser i logged in on, as me, and get output as if i was logged in.

Might sound innocuous enough but trust me, bad shit happens when someone's got their hand in your cookie jar... hurr hurr

[​IMG]

Class dismissed
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Trusteft and Calliers like this.