the most horrifying experience i've had...

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by skinlab, May 25, 2002.

1. skinlab

skinlab Got Satan?

1 week old install of win2k. everything going ok. running audigy value. installed drivers, had problems with a game, updated drivers, problem still there, uninstalled and reinstalled, problem still there. so i decided to install the drivers posted in a thread here earlier this week, i download them, extract and follow instructions to delete 1 file. all is well.

i uninstall my old drivers, restart. here is where i get my problem. i get a blue screen with text about not being able to log in to windows (very different from a BSOD). so i restart and try again, no dice. restart again into safe mode, i go in, asks to install PCI Device, it couldnt find drivers for it, so no go. restart again, same problem, restart again, setup would not detect my sound card. restart again, delete PCI Device, delete Audigy, and restart, low and behold i can log in to windows. run setup, ran fine, install my joystick, installed fine, everything seems to be running ok.

now, i have 1 question: should i install Firenet or not bother with it? caus i also deleted the Firewire device just in case it would cause a problem.

the whole ordeal took me 30 minutes, proof once again that creative offer crappy driver support.

p.s: from 4am to 4:30 am, working to fix a sound card issue is not fun.

2. skinlab

skinlab Got Satan?

oh, i am also glad to say that with the latest drivers, my Audigy + Delta Force sound issue has been resolved. i just played a whole level and sound didnt go out, so i guess that problem is fixed. thank heavens.

im off to watch Band of Brothers, then im hitting the sack. gnight.

3. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

You have to turn off windows file protection for the stupid drivers to work (sometimes).

4. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\

"SFCDisable" = FFFFFF9D

5. skinlab

skinlab Got Satan?

well i have my win2k cd handy so whenever it asks something i answer yes, the cd is in the drive, and installation continues as planned....