The Old Junk for recording rig thread !!

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Mac Daddy, May 13, 2009.

1. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Good call Dave............. With the way things worked out "Dad's old Dell" will probably not be used for music being a stripped down overclocker now, but I have that other Dual PIII that I'm working on which will be part of the studio......... and all my other systems fit the "old junk" class also. I use the word "Junque" though around here... ;)

3. GigaWatt

GigaWatt Now In Color :D

GREAT... :D :D :D

finally opened... :D... hope some good discussions will be posted here... ;)

4. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

Now I have an excuse to dig around in my storage closet. HOORAY! :D

My issue is that there is a large gap in the middle of my 'junque'. I have OLD stuff and then some as of the past few years stuff. Nothing in the middle here. But that's also because all that stuff got funneled into an HTPC and my parents' computer.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  5. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Cool glad you liked the idea guys :)

I have had this up to 3.6G but these are "100 percent stable" settings and I run this machine 24/7. Will get some pics of the rear AC chassis fan and the 120mm AC fan I added to the Katana2 this weekend ;)

FEEL THE POWER !! :D

This has 2 pin Mods:

- 533 FSB
    - 1.65 Vcore

[​IMG]

6. GigaWatt

the multiplyer factor is 26... :eek:... a first see for me... :D

but why is the RAM frequency so low...? 93.1MHz for DDR1 modules...?

7. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

The BIOS doesn't have a RAM divider so the 533 FSB pin mod allowed me to drop the RAM ratio.

(Also that is CPU-Z so 93.1 x 2 = 186.2)

8. GigaWatt

so the actual clock of the RAM modules is 186.2MHz, right...? and what were the default clocks on the modules/module...?

btw, a 20% (19,45% actually but who cares :D) on a Celeron CPU :eek:... what kind of cooling are you running on that thing LOL :D...

9. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Running OCZ Platinum PC-3200 (default 400Mhz)

Using a Scythe Katana2 with a 120mm Arctic cooling fan ;)

EDIT: Hmm something is funny let me check with Everest tonight. It should be 186.2 ... 186.2 x 2 = 372.4Mhz as DDR400 is set in BIOS and it underclocks the RAM due to the FSB mod.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  10. Tyrsonswood

What's your PCI bus run at? Stock 33mhz............. Sound cards don't make good overclocking material.... ;)

11. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

The pinmod is too the CPU itself and should lower anything on the NB and SB O/Cing ;)

12. Tyrsonswood

I'm going to be setting this one up for mixing more than recording. I'm not going dual sound cards in this so recording will be 4 channels max. But dual processors can handle multiple VST effects on multiple channels with ease in Reaper DAW. The Audigy card also has 8 outputs if I need that option. (no Audigy drive on this one)

XP boots off the 20gig IDE and the 70gig SCSI is for audio files only...... That drive is pretty quick compaired to IDE......... fast access time and a 10k drive speed........... love that spin up sound ;)

At the moment it's a single 512mb stick, board will go to 1.5g max ram. It's a server so there's no non-ecc ram happening here...... REG Buffered ECC only. (I can find 2X512 pretty cheap on the bay) The dual 1.2 PIIIs runs ecc cache and that can't be shut off. This board can't be overclocked like the dual board in "Dad's old Dell", but should be a nice stable addition to the studio.

I added the two Aero Cool HSF just because I could and I had them...... they were quite a squeeze and required some slight mods to clear the caps and to fit a socket 370....... I need to figure out how to control speed on these, they run a tad loud..... not bad but this system doesn't run hot so they could slowdown some......

Anybody got a schematic for a low cost fan speed control? :cool:

Attached Files:

13. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

damn...

next on my list is a dual cpu multi core setup....

(couldn't imagine a system with 2 Coolermaster V10's in it)

14. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Mac, is that the cpu i sent you?

15. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

How elaborate did you want to get? I can design you something custom if you like ;)

Yes it is Bro and at that O/C both CPU and mobo sensors idling @ 32C :)

16. GigaWatt

damn :D... looks like i'm a mindreader... LOL :D

http://www.driverheaven.net/off-topic-forum/181886-dads-old-dell-3.html

17. Tyrsonswood

That circuit could run a bunch of fans, couldn't it? What's max current on a LM317?

18. GigaWatt

the LM317 could sustain up to 1.5A going through it... with an appropriate thermal sink of course, but with no thermal sink, it coul probably sustain up to 0.8A... ;)

the 78XX series can sustain up to 1A with a little thermal sink, and up to 0.5A with no thermal sink... ;)

so the choice is yours, the LM317 is a little bit more expensive then the 78XX series but more reliable and stable as an IC, the "deltaV" factor (the voltage stability factor) is a little lower on the LM317 (which means more stable voltages), but that shouldn't matter since it's cooling the circuit is intended for (coolers can run on just about any kind of voltage, as long as it's DC LOL :D)

EDIT: not a bad idea to put in capacitors on the IN and OUT part of the schematic... the IN capacitor can be with a 1uF value (20V workable voltage should be enough) and the OUT capacitor can be anywhere between 0.1uF and 47nF (also, 20V workable voltage)... ;)

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  19. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Not a bad idea but I am sitting here looking at a case using 2 x 180mm fans rated 12V @ 0.9A each.

You can use a voltage regulator as GigaWatt mentioned a great idea but you can also use Triacs for this or simple rheostats ... like I said how elaborate do you want to get?

20. Tyrsonswood

Not too fancy...... trying to find something cheap (or free..... I've a lot 'o junque here) This PSU has the lower speed "fan" circuit and I could use that but it's already running the hard drive fan so thinking a different circuit for the cpu coolers. I'll still monitor the fan speed as stock, just adjust the voltage/speed at a knob.

Anyways, Here's some specs. Not lightening fast but for what it can do.... $30.00 Not bad. :cool:

Edit; Tiny pic........ sorry about that. making you squint and all.............

Attached Files: