The Old Junk for recording rig thread !!

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Mac Daddy, May 13, 2009.

1. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

my recording system is hardly "old junk" so I won't post it here, but nice thread!

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

You could post it, we aren't being exclusive, but yeah..... not really old junk so it wouldn't fit. I'm resurrecting dinosaurs here........ ;) the idea is they are still capable of producing some music. :cool:

3. Tyrsonswood

Latest bios was 2003, system was built in 2001 or so for medical imaging, so it needed some balls........

It really runs very well for general stuff, as I said, hard to think there's a PIII under the hood when using it. I doesn't feel under-powered or slow at all...

Did you notice there's no rear case fan? Front fan is running on 7V and I will be trying the "fan only" power for the HSF coolers. The Antec power supply has the bottom fan that vents the case, I don't think the lack of fans will hurt this system and it's much quieter...... :cool:

4. GigaWatt

GigaWatt Now In Color :D

actually i did... it was kinda weird... my old PIII rig has no rear case fans... just a side one... but this is a dual CPU rig... it should have at least one rear fan... ;)

well since you don't plan to OC it (not that you can, but anyway LOL :D), i don't see any reason to put in any kind of case fans... except for the HDDs... those things tend to get hot in the summer... ;)

don't worry, you'll get to post you rig here... in a few years... LOL :D (joke)

5. Tyrsonswood

Especially 10K SCSI's. :) Front fan circulates enough air for the SCSI bay.

This case originally had a P4 2.4ghz......... that would produce more heat than these 2 PIII's do. The PIII Tualatin core was a cool operating processor for it's day.

6. Tyrsonswood

I was running this with the cpu fans hooked to the fan power all afternoon..... CPUs were sitting at 40c no problem. Fans were at 1600 rpm and with the cover on the case the system was damn quiet. Later I went in with my thermometer and my readings were correct but the Northbridge was warmer than I like so I put the cpu coolers back to mobo power. Fans run at 2400 rpm, Northbridge is happier and the system is still very quiet (just not quite damn quiet) ;)

These HSFs are way over spec for this setup, considering the tiny anodized aluminum bit's it came with, these copper socket A coolers work well even with little air being blown at them.

Next, figuring out how I want to do ins and outs for the audio......... then maybe adding SPDIF capability to the audigy....... may not need that here, I donno'

7. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

The title is a relative one all music recording rigs welcome :drool:

8. GigaWatt

some wholes in the front of the case would be a good starting place... you will need easy access to the recording inputs... ;)... and the outputs probably... if the audio card has multichannel outputs... ;)

9. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Please excuse the dust the reason I took the side cover off is to take it into the garage tomorrow and use the air compressor on it ;)

The AC 120mm x 38.5mm exhaust and as well as the AC 120mm x 20mm fan mounted on the Katana2 keep the Northwood cool even over volted to 1.65V.

Attached Files:

10. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

in that case....

[​IMG]

Computer:
    Mac Pro 3,1
    2 x E5462 Quadcore Xeon's @ 2.8Ghz (8 Cores all up)
    4 X 1Gb DDR 800Mhz FB-DIMM Ram
    nV 8800GT
    TC Electronics Powercore|Express
    Terratec Midi Hubble - quite hand for it's 2in/2out and 3 USB ports (perfect for my iLok and Synchrosoft dongles)
    Several HDDs

Software
    OS X 10.5.6
    Logic Studio (Logic Pro 8)
    Pro Tools LE 7.4.2
    Native Instruments Komplete Bundle
    +others

Audio Hardware
    MBox 2 Pro (2 Mic Pres, 2 Line, 1 SPDIF)
    Soundcraft Compact 4 Mixer (2 Mic pres, routed into the MB2P's Line Inputs - main audio level controller)
    Korg TP-2 Valve Pre-Amp/Converter (routed into MB2P's SPDIG input) - I use the optical compressor on my mixes sometimes too (MB2P Line out->TP-2->MB2P SPDIF)
    6 channel recording up 24/48, 4 channel recording upto 24/96

Korg microKORG

Monitoring
    Alesis M1 Active 620 Active Studio Monitors
    Sony MDR-V6/7506 Headphones (Self-repaired several times)

DJ:
    Macbook Air 1,1
    1.6Ghz Core 2 Duo (underclocked to 1.4ghz)
    Behringer BCD3000 controller/interface (Stereo output, routed to Compact 4 - 2 stereo phono inputs)
    2 x Stanton T.80 turntables (routed to BCD3000)
    Sennheiser HD25-1 Headphones

Microphones
    Legacy Axis 90 Ribbon
    Legend Axis 6 Large Diaphragm Condenser
    Joe Meek JM37 Large Diaphragm Condenser
    Joe Meek JM27PAC Pencil Condenser Pair
    Beyerdynamic M201 TG Super-Cardioid Dynamic
    Bock BM-X6 Percussion Dynamic
    Neatron NPM286 Kick Dynamic
    Sennheiser e817 Cardiod Dynamic
    AKG D-58 Hyper-Cardiod Dynamic

Other
    3 Mic stands
    "Stereo" Bar
    2 "pop" filters
    various mic clips for stands/drums
    various cables (some self-made)

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  11. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Nice setup man :drool:

12. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

and to fit with the title, my rig, as it was in 2004

[​IMG]

Athlon XP 2500+ (OC'd to 3200+ speeds from the get-go)
    1Gb DDR-400 Ram (later upgraded to 2Gb)
    nV 5200

Windows XP
    Logic Platinum 5

Soundblaster Live! 5.1 on kX (Later upgraded to an Audigy ES and Audigy 2 ZS combo, then later again a Behringer FCA-202 firewire interface - run from the 1394 port on the Audigy 2 ZS)
    Behringer UB802 Mixer
    Edirol MA-10D Speakers
    Behringer HPS3000 Headphones

As you can see, I've come a fair way since then, but I'm still a Logic user

EDIT: that green cable going across the monitors is actually a 20m network cable that snakes across the floor, down the stairs, across the ceiling and into a router in the room directly below the one pictured - for some reason a wireless network never worked in that house

13. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

What a difference and thanks for sharing that with us ;)

(Interesting on the network cable)

14. Tyrsonswood

The second one is more like what I'm running now........... minus the green cable that is. But I'm running various systems at various places in my house...... wireless works here for some reason...... 1890's house, horsehair plaster and lath, basement to second floor, no problem...... Go figure.

Nice on the systems guys, lets keep them coming. I'll get some more pics up soon.

15. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

What a great thread Mac Daddy and Co! I have a system behind me that should qualify as Old(er) Junque. I'm pretty sure I posted this picture here in April 2006, but here it is again...

[​IMG]

Everything in the Compaq Presario case has been replaced except the floppy drive and mainboard (KT133A chipset). It's the Athlon 1.2G with 1.25 Gigs of PC100 ram, Radeon 9600XT, and a Chaintech Envy 24 audio card that was my main system until March of last year. The 17" Samsung CRT is now secondary to my first LCD - a Sceptre 20" MVA panel (best color and clarity in the house). Running XP SP3 and Win7 - nicely, and all devices work fine.

The receiver is an unusual one for Sony - it sounded good! It's a 1980 STR-VX5 with a PWM power supply and discrete Legato Linear output amplifier stage. I picked it up in 1993 with smoke damage from a house fire. Still sounds smooth and clean. Below the desk are a couple of 93db efficient Acculab 4 ways (15" woofer cone...) that I've had since 1983. I know, I'd never heard of them either - but A/B'd them and they were the best sounding $300 pair of speakers in the store. The turntable is a Pioneer PL-600 with a Shure M97HE cartridge/stylus in the headshell of the arm. The cassette deck is an Aiwa AD-3100, re-belted once since 1984. Heads are those GX Glass/Ferrite jobs - have lasted well.

Makes a nice LP/Cassette dub to digital system.

The MacBook Pro was one month old then...

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  16. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Looking good swimtech thanks for the pic ;)

I have to revamp my area as computer equipment has overtaken the musical part of it ... literally!! I am thinking of putting up some shelving over the desk to hold the computer cases or musical equipment to free up some desk space.

This is how is was setup before ....
    (Excuse the mess)

Attached Files:

17. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Excuse the mess? You've got to be kidding. Looks great to me!

I recognize the monitor speakers, but the model escapes me...

Also DJ, that is a sweet workstation studio - evolved a lot over the past five years for sure - you've got to be lovin' your setup now!

One more thing on my old stuff - there's a pair of Sennheiser HD 414 headphones inside the cabinet up on the right. Had 'em since I was sixteen. Still sound pretty good...

18. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Thanks man I just saw the clutter on the shelf behind lol ;)

The model is Kenwood LS - F3 and I actually got them for free. Some dude rolled into work with these in his trunk one day and said they didn't work scrap em.

The wires through the rear panel were worn and frayed I replaced them been working fine for 4 years now :)

19. GigaWatt

huh...:eek: the things that some people throw away... go figure...:rolleyes:

did a great job on reviving them... ;)... in the spirit of the thread... "let it beat"...:D

20. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member