The Old Junk for recording rig thread !!

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Mac Daddy, May 13, 2009.

1. GigaWatt

GigaWatt Now In Color :D

been doing the same thing for years now, not a single headache (knock on wood)... ;)

i just make pauses, like playing the keyboards or making something to eat... whatever, as long as i'm not in front of the CRT... ;)

2. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

Yeah, that tends to help me. But sometimes I just get focussed into something and then end up with problems. Its a lot better if I have CRTs with a higher refresh rate (somewhere around 75Hz) since on most 60Hz (depending on the resolution) I can see the flicker and that, I think, is what causes my problem.

3. GigaWatt

wow... you can see the flickering at 60Hz refresh rate :eek:... you must have really sensitive eyes...

the newer CRT monitors (made above 2004, 2005) have a >=75Hz at 1024X768 resolution... ;)

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I can see 60hz flicker too.

5. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

Yeah especially at the higher resolutions its freakin brutal :duh:. Yeah that's the kind I use when I have to....or if I can.....I adjust the refresh rate to 75Hz so it looks right to me.

6. GigaWatt

actually, i forgot to mention... uuuuum... i wear glasses with dual radiation protection... LOL :D... i guess that's why i don't get the headaches... hahahahah :D

7. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

That's funny :D

8. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't think it's the refresh so that gives most folks headaches - I think it's a slight out of focus condition - really hard to get perfect and always has been - and it drifts depending on so many things... Anyhow...

9. RE III - Frankie

RE III - Frankie Banned

I have a short story about old" recording "junk". My current system which is powered by now "old junk" Core 2 Duo E 7300. I installed a Creative X-Fi soundcard a short while ago and something happened that has never happened in the life of me ever having or building computers. As I was looking at the fancy heatsink on the X-Fi chip I decided to touch it with my free hand just to get a sense of the X-Fidelity on my hands, anyway I noticed a small spark discharge from my main finger onto the heatsink itself. I completely shit myself because after all the constant warnings that I've had for the last 15 years about wearing gloves and touching the inside of the case it had just happened to me. I decided to install the card anyway to see if it worked and with a little hope and prayer. The drivers installed and it sounded great, UNTIL, I had to do a reinstallation of Windows. After running setup I tried installing the soundcard drivers and upon detection of the soundcard I received a no soundcard present error. I thought I can't take it back because it's completely my fault it didn't work so I chucked it into the bottom of my bin and thought about how nice it sounded over and over again until my binned got emptied about a week later. Anyway I never got any recording done on that soundcard at all so I am unsure of the relevance to this thread, but I have done recording on this system before. I've used it to create a loop of the heavy guitar warmup part from Metallica's Enter Sandman which I still really love. It repeats itself for about 8 mins and is sure to send anyone jumping from my car at high speed if listened to for the entire 8 minutes, but I love it. I also used to record a lot of guitar work on my computer, but none of it has stuck around over the years. I kind of recycled it to inspire me to keep writing more. ANd never has a day gone past where my musical creativity has ever made me bored. PERIOD.