They arrived.....

Discussion in 'General Graphics Cards Discussion' started by alewisa, Sep 23, 2002.

1. alewisa

alewisa New Member

Oh yes, oh sweet is life. 2 Matrox Parhelia retails arrived at 3.05 today. Oh holy of holies, oh heavenly testament to the eternal majesty of Matrox. Holy Parhelia

Will be thrashing the beemer up the M6 tonight. Tough luck dog, no walk for you this evening. Beer? What beer. Rip open two machines. One driving a monitor and a 50" plasma. The other just driving a monitor or three...

HUGE GRIN MODE ON :)

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

TWO?!?

OMFG! I think I hate you! (j/k, it's just the extreme jealousy talking. ;) )

3. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

You're a BMW driver. It's in your drivers contract to thrash it everywhere irregardless of the fact you bought 2 Parhelias ;)

4. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

so how are you guys finding the Parhelia now after several weeks or whatever of testing, id love to see some comments from you guys. happy you bought one? Ive seen my friends, and its a pretty impressive card. nice IQ.

5. T2k

T2k Guest

Re:

Actually I like it, especially the Surround Gaming. My only complain is the speed: with my three 21" I really like to see some higher resolution than the current 2400x600 (3D-accel.) but UT2k3Demo is jagging yet even on this one... sad...

I already sold my 8500 and ordered my 9700 Pro - this card (Parhelia) gonna be my work card. :)

Around $200 this is a very good card - but not for more! Don't forget: 9500 is coming... ;)

6. alewisa

alewisa New Member

Re:

I like. Amongst the many PCs at home I have two reasonably similar machines both running G400 to Sony 19" 400PSTs. Installed a Parhelia into one.

Oh my God, they did it again. Yup, the noticeable improvement in picture quality. I was impressed each time moving from Milliniem -> G200 -> G400, but this is gobsmaking. The Reef demo is superb (especially on 3 monitors). Only drawback is it breaks under the latest driver. Argh.

3 monitors - a 19" sony, 50" Plasma, 19" Sony.

Downside? Well, the number of reboots required to install .NET, drivers, enable DVD motion compensation, and so forth. But that's an aside.

So, it looks good in the P3-711 workstation. Now where do I put the remaining card?

Either in my main office worker, a dual P3-550 (currently running another G400), or in a games machine; Athlon 1200 with GForce-2???

The superb visual quality and extra video memory will be a bonus working with Paintshop. However, the improved video speed will be a boost in the games rig.

Either way, it will be linked to two monitors, one 21" and one 19" (or one of them, and the 50" plasma for DVD... :) )

I wa sup to 2.30am this morning just playing. Not a good idea when one is up at 5am to go to work! But it's a great card. I like. Don't care that others are faster, it would be like fitting a v12 5.6l engine in a 3 series BMW. Not really practical, an a waste of money. But I like the Parhelia.

7. K6-III

K6-III New Member

Been running mine in Dualhead with a Samsung 900NF 19" and a Sony HMD-A100 15". This is the first card that has made the 900NF comfortable to use at 1600x1200.....simply unbelievable....

Gaming performance is really more than I need anyway.....

Was running a Radeon 8500 128mb at 310/308 before and decided to swap because of piss-poor multimonitor support and not-quite-Matrox 2D quality...

Now just waiting for the arrival of the OC util and hoping I can trade my 19 and 15 for 3 17's for not too much difference for some Surround Gaming....

8. alewisa

alewisa New Member

Re:

Keep the 19". I had to use a 17" monitor the otherday, after years of using 19"+ displays. It's very restrictive. Trust me on this one. Sell the 15", save for 2 17" or even 2 more 19" screens.

9. gibbon565

gibbon565 Bouncy BOUNCY!

I would have to agree with that one as I currently have a 21 inch professional monitor and I could go any smaller now, I mean even 17 inch seem far far to small for me. Though I could understand for the surround gaming option as 3 19 inches of a good standard wont come cheap :D

10. T2k

T2k Guest

Re:

Yeah, this is my another complain: why Matrox couldn't implement the same DVD-acceleration like ATI could? It's much less... :(

11. K6-III

K6-III New Member

Because ATI has much better experience with Hardware DVD Acceleration....makes some sense...

12. T2k

T2k Guest

Re:

Ok, it's true - but why they didn't implement HWMC AND IDCT? I'm still can't understand this... :(

13. alewisa

alewisa New Member

Re:

Yeah, ATI have always been good at that. I remember my first (and only) shop bought PC - an Escom P133 in 1996. Had an ATI Mach64 card - there were faster cards, but none of them could match the Mach64 for "video playback". Even when against a faster PC and superior card (P166 and a Diamond stealth, istr), the playback was better on the slower, but ATI equipped, PC.

Lets face it, you really want DVD playback, go downstairs and watch on TV via a DVD player. Anything from a PII-400 will playback DVD, everything else (faster processor, better gfx card) is a bonus. Lets face it, you really want to watch DVD on a <28" TV? I only use it when deep in a PC sesh and want some background noise candy. I dont actually watch DVD on the PC.