Thinking of getting a smartwatch

Discussion in 'Smartphone & Tablets Discussion / Support' started by Calliers, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Thinking of getting the Samsung Galaxy Watch but wanted to know what y'all think before I get one, is it just a useless gadget? I mean I am happy to pull my phone out of my pocket most times, and I am not a fitness buff, so was wondering what else would I use it for?

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I have 2 (original Pebble, and Pebble Round). And although I like the Round, I never use either of them. I still prefer my old fashioned watches. Honestly, there really isn't any use for smart watches outside of notifiers of incoming messages, calls, or fitness tracking (IMO of course). That's it. But you aren't going to answer your phone using your watch. You aren't going to text messages using your watch. So what does that leave? Fitness tracking. If that's what you are going to use it for then you're better of getting a dedicated fitness tracking device like the Fitbit. Not to say they are useless though. They have their uses for areas that you might not have something. Like if you use wired headphones you can use the watch (with some anyways) to change the song and lower/raise audio, whereas if you were running Bluetooth headphones you'd use the controls on the headphones to do that.

Thing is though, you have watches. Actual watches. Experience tells me to tell you to pass on it... unless you want one for fitness tracking. Serious fitness tracking. Not some fad use. But at that point I'd still recommend going with something like the Fitbit line. Better suited for that vs a smart watch.

Calliers likes this.
  3. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Yup, thanks for clarifying this for me. I had a sneaking suspicion that smart watches just don't make much sense for some people, yet anyway. I also love my classic watches, and doubt I would wear my smart watch over them to an outing.

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Some are really nice. I've seen some that are standard watches, full mechanical internals and all, but they have smart functionality built into them. Expensive, but still nice.

My 2 biggest gripes with smart watches are battery life, and funny enough... that they turn their screens off to save battery. For me, the whole point of buying a nice watch is to see the watch face. It's an accessory to your whole look. And mechanical watches.. I love the look of those. Smart watch can't beat that.... ever.

Calliers likes this.
  5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

I have not worn a watch in decades! I still wonder why my daughter and son-in-law got me one for Christmas a year ago. It's still in the original box.

Calliers likes this.
  6. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Maybe they'll conclude that you didn't like that one and will get you a nicer watch this year! :D :D :D

I know a couple of people who own Samsung smartwatches and are happy with them. Both are people who get zillions of emails and use watches mostly to read those and see which ones actually require their attention and to simply brush away the rest. They do some other things on them as well, but pretty much all of them fall into the category of performing very simple tasks without needing to reach for the phone.

7. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I on the other hand am in favor of Calliers start buying smart watches. I believe the industry is in decline and it needs him. If he starts buying them he will quickly sell them and buy another or buy another and buy another and by the end of this year he will probably have bought more than 4.5 million watches. Not that he is going to wear any of them, I see him wearing a traditional watch, at best.

Here is the thing, I don't believe in the slightest that you are serious about this. You spend stupid amount of money on things you don't really want for more than 5 minutes. I have no doubt if you sent me the money you wasted the last couple of years, I would now be able to buy a huge place here.

Just because you have people giving you money, it doesn't mean you have to waste them. Now if I am mistaken and you have a job you pay for everything, well...you are still wasting the money but whatever.

And if you want to talk about the smartwatch in more detail... Do you really need one? You have bought many watches in the past yet you mention in the first post that when you want to know the time you pull out your phone. That pisses me off.
    If you use your smartphone for smartphone stuff, you use your phone for telling the time, then...not only why do you keep buying watches, but why do you want to buy a smartwatch when you admit you don't know if you need it.

Tell you what, the 300-1500 you were going to spend on it, send them to me. I will make sure to use them for paying part of my next iMac (probably the new mac pro they will release later this year).

STOP WASTING your money.
    Now if you will excuse me, I am going to buy an ice cream and perhaps a hot dog.
    Then I will return and perhaps buy player unknown battlegrounds.

Seriously though, you have bought so many watches, why don't you wear them?
    Much more style than ANY smartwatch and you don't have to charge it every day like an idiot.

Tipstaff likes this.
  8. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

Does that answer your own question ?

Personally I don't see the point of a smart watch.. (Others may differ) and do have uses for them.

For me I would need to wear my glasses to counter act the size of the screen (As I said that's me) but I never go anywhere without my S8. And that is set up like my PC.. Everything I require is there at hand..