Thoughts on framerate graphs in reviews.

Discussion in 'Site Feedback & Announcements' started by mkk, Oct 15, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

I came up with a new min FPS graph which will be in our next review. its not interactive but it has quite a lot of information in it. we can fine tune it as we go.

All these ideas are great guys, but we spend literally 4-6 or more hours just designing a review for this site, most other sites spent 20 mins uploading a few pics and keying in black text, I need to get some kind of equilibrium or we will be producing far less reviews due to design time. We will get something to keep most people happy. I do stress most, because I think even if we could get leonardo di vinci to do the website design people would still bitch that he 'sucked'. Such is life ;)

2. Bolletje

Bolletje New Member

The Min FPS graph is really nice, but maybe you can add a button so you can select "Min - Avg - Max"?

You can use the same color scheme: red (min) , blue (max) and green (avg).

3. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

I don't hate the new Frames style , just thought it is has much details that keeps me confused. The past one was simple and clearer.

Don't take my feedback as a hostile , I just like to post my personal feedback ;)

But you are right , you will never satisfy all people even whatever you did.

4. HardwareHeaven

Nope. only min is important for those - its the deciding factor for playability which is the reason they are there in the first place. No one is interested really in seeing a constant stream of max frame rates at say 80-120. its useless.

5. HardwareHeaven

The earlier version only had 12 readings from specific sections and why it was probably 'easier' was due to the fact each section was detailed with a representation frame rate figure.

The new graph is actually much more informative because it details a constant stream of minimum frame rates over a demanding section of game play , so as the flash is 'drawn' you are seeing the frame rates almost as it would happen - although slightly slower to be more representative of a longer area of game time.

For instance if you feel that you don't want a specific first person shooter game to drop below 30fps. you find 30 on the graph and look from left to right and see how often it dips under the figure. Then you can make an educated assumption on whether that card would be doing the job for you at that chosen resolution and setting.

Its actually much more useful if you look at it. the frame rates are on the left marked clearly, you run your eye horizontally across the graph to see how the game plays out in regards to the frame rate.

6. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

totally love the new graph, it is very informative. great addition to the standard fps graph and will help to show the minimum performance expected. a lil off topic, but what are the pics behind the graph in the recent AMD review in the l4d2 section of? looks to me to be a new take on the l4d player models. (they look great) is this something from the upcoming sequel i don't know about? some big secret? lol, or just the way it is?

7. HardwareHeaven

Good to hear, i had a few emails tonight saying it was very useful to a few readers, so hopefully we can make it a mainstay in upcoming reviews. This isn't something we just decided was a nice addition a few days ago, it was actually based on community feedback. Working out the best way to present it proves tricky at times and i think with more than 2 cards in a roundup we may need to further adjust it. Its an ongoing process to adapt and enhance everything we can.

If we are helping you guys work out performance in a worst case scenario it has to be useful. I think we are doing most things right, its all real world testing, its at the correct resolutions and settings for the hardware, everything is patched, newest drivers are used, newest bioses are used, the OSes are always fully updated and we end up working through days of benchmarking, even missing launches now to make sure we deliver. We could have had that AMD review up for instance over a day ago for the Vapor X launch but we wanted to add more testing, even if we lose hits over it. Quality is important, rather than always being 'first up'.

Its just artwork Valve gave us a while ago, we have literally gigs of artwork from publishers in folders. I can send you it if you want. PM your email address.

Left 4 Dead is such a great game, I love the mindlessness of it at times, absolute stress buster for me. im loving the sequel too, awesome games.

8. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

those would be the original l4d models that got scrapped for the current models.

Z, just a bit of nit picking. is it possible to add a horizontal line through the fps graph at the 30 mark? its a little hard to see where the 30 line is on some of the tests, like crysis.

Chaos likes this.
  9. HardwareHeaven

Actually that might be a damn fine idea. I think most people treat 30 fps as the sweet spot in most games, right?

10. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

I think that is a good idea, +1 for the thought. I don't consider it a sweet spot but a minimum excepted frame rate for smooth video

11. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Thanks for detailing , I think I am going to like it :rolleyes:and the horizontal line idea is awesome as well.

12. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Wonderful graphs. Another idea for a horisontal (edit: dotted) line on the vertical graph would be to have a thin line follow the mouse pointer when it's inside that square.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  13. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Am really liking the graphs :) It allows you to immediately see how well the card performs at a glance very good idea :)

14. Bolletje

Bolletje New Member

Oo, ok :p

Or 25.

It's somewhere in that region.

15. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

30 is enough for me , but some people are too spoiled that they can't play a game with less than 60 FPS.

16. HardwareHeaven

Yeah its a hard FPS to settle on - 25 and 30 fps seem to be the figures most people consider the 'breaking point' for good motion in a game.

17. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

personally i always look for 25, but then my expectations of what my system has any hope of managing is always low..

18. clanman

clanman New Member

the new one is great, nice job !

19. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

ya, the 5970 review really shows off the usefulness of the graphs, and the lines across are a great addition.

20. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

The old min FPS bar graphs for some reason caused 50% CPU usage on all cores and sluggish page scrolling on my system and IE8/Maxthon2 (when the graph is complete, not during drawing).
    The problem is gone with the new graphs, they are definitely much better, nice and fast. Good work.